• NS H-02 - sightings and reports

• Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New Jersey
Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New Jersey

Moderator: David

by washingtonsecondary

H02 did run sunday. He was first at Lake Jct to pick up cars. Then he was through Hackettstown some time after 11 and onto washington with 2 engines and 17 cars. He met H74, leaving behind all 17 cars and the 3056. He left with 7 cars (5 covered hoppers, 1 Box car and 1 tank car) He spotted the 5 hoppers at Nova and headed east from there. I don't know if the tanker and the box car are for the M&E so he may or may not be going back to Dover as a lite engine move.

by washingtonsecondary

Just as a side note, it looks like major sections of the secondary need some MOW work. The rails 10 yards east of the Nova Borialis switch are sitting on soft mud with the ballast basically gone. I'm sure Washington yard is in rough shape as well.

by nick11a

washingtonsecondary wrote:Just as a side note, it looks like major sections of the secondary need some MOW work. The rails 10 yards east of the Nova Borialis switch are sitting on soft mud with the ballast basically gone. I'm sure Washington yard is in rough shape as well.
Yes, Washington Yard is in pretty bad shape. I'm not sure what's holding the rails in position- it certainly isn't the spikes! :-D

by General

The NS H-02 was at Lake Junction today picking up cars from the M&E at 11AM. Then headed west to Washington.
Today there was a brand new GP38-2 rebuild 5622 in Washington yard and an ex-N&W high hood GP40 # 1348(?), not one of the ex CR GP40-2's. Iam not sure how many of the 1300 series GP40's NS still has on the roster, but it can't be many.

by washingtonsecondary

Yeah, H74 brough those back along with H02's 5306 (I think) what were those first two units doing in the yard? Did they come up on H65 for something? I don't think 02 had extra engines at anypoint this week.

by nick11a

washingtonsecondary wrote:Yeah, H74 brough those back along with H02's 5306 (I think) what were those first two units doing in the yard? Did they come up on H65 for something? I don't think 02 had extra engines at anypoint this week.
Haha. H02 finally got rid of 3056? Woohoo! And thanks General for the update. I'll have to try to see if I can get a chance to catch them.

by washingtonsecondary

Did 3056 do something to offend you?

by General

Here is a shot of the NS H-02 moving engines for the H74 in Washington yard.

http://geep38.rrpicturearchives.net/sho ... ?id=286232

The 1378 is an ex Norfolk & Western GP40. The remaining units still in service on NS are usually found in hump service with a slug or two. Not sure why it went to Washington, but it is still neat to see.

Here is the NS H-02 dropping off cars for the M&E at Lake Junction.
http://geep38.rrpicturearchives.net/sho ... ?id=286219

by nick11a

General wrote:Here is a shot of the NS H-02 moving engines for the H74 in Washington yard.

The 1378 is an ex Norfolk & Western GP40. The remaining units still in service on NS are usually found in hump service with a slug or two. Not sure why it went to Washington, but it is still neat to see.

Nice, nice, very nice. Good shots there General.
Did 3056 do something to offend you?
Oh, not at all. I just saw it a lot- a bit too much actually. Most of the times I chased the H02 in the past month, it had it. I'm ready for a change (hopefully sometime soon a Conrail Blue Change.) :-) I'm sure the Southern Secondary Fans understand. They're sick and tired of 4412 among other CSX engines. Although, I really shouldn't complain as 3056 only stuck around for a little over a months while those CSX engines have stuck around Browns for a few years already. But, that is a different topic....

Oh, and 3056 sure had one heck of a weird horn.

by washingtonsecondary

General wrote:Here is a shot of the NS H-02 moving engines for the H74 in Washington yard.

General, was that you with the little boy in Washington, Port Murray and at Nova?

by General

nick11a wrote: Nice, nice, very nice. Good shots there General.
Thanks, Nick. They would have been better if the sun would have stayed out.

Washington Secondary, I was in Washington and Lake Junction, but not Port Murray and Nova.

by hazmatmess

Sorry to be a pain with this post. I want to follow H-02 one Sunday. Where and what time to start, where to go.... Any info would be greatly appreciated. Thanks
Tim

by nick11a

hazmatmess wrote:Sorry to be a pain with this post. I want to follow H-02 one Sunday. Where and what time to start, where to go.... Any info would be greatly appreciated. Thanks
Tim
H02 doesn't traditionally work on Saturdays or Sundays. It is rare for them to do so. They have done so several times in the past few weeks though to keep up with the work presumably. But, keep checking this post as if they are going out to work, most of the time, it will be reported in here by somebody.

by washingtonsecondary

hazmatmess wrote:Sorry to be a pain with this post. I want to follow H-02 one Sunday. Where and what time to start, where to go.... Any info would be greatly appreciated. Thanks
Tim
It also depends on where they are going. I'm only familar with points west of Dover. They seem to be on duty around 9:30 and roll out to Lake Jct around 10 or so. Then they head to Washington since all the customers along the way have to be switched on the way back.

-Also today is traditionally one of the days they run to Washington. I took the train in from Hackettstown this morning. There were only 2 tank cars in east dover yard, so if he does run west it will be almost all M&E traffic. At Lake Jct. there appeared to be a few covered hoppers waiting on the west end of the yard.

by jsx

I usually see them on the Totowa Industrial, and at Drakes on the old NY&GL in Mountain View.

Does anybody know the current customers on the Totowa Industrial? I see cars at Omega warehouse on both sides of Riverview Dr... but I thought I saw a covered hopper at what was/is Race Plastics...??

Any help would be great.

Jim