• NS derailment on Southern Tier - 10/13

• Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New York State.
Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New York State.

Moderator: Otto Vondrak

by njt4172

I'M getting word from a friend of mine that another derailment with a CSX train,...This time on the Southern Tier near Shohola, Pa....Many cars on the ground hazmat team dispatched..... Could it be the 403?? Hope to god nobody is hurt.....!

Steve

by rcbsd45

Train apprently IS the 403 eastbound.... (and just after they run an inspection train through there.... D'OH!!! Well, now this raises the stakes at least in terms of detours..... With the Q166 already in the Bingo area, only option I can think of would be to reposition the train accordingly and send it north on the D&H to Albany(via Mechanicville) where it can eventually reconnect with home rails. They could run the train into Albany, passing Kenwood Yard, then at the south/west end of the yard, hand it to CSX where the Port Secondary track comes in. This would then have the train take the Port Secondary from Kenwood Yard to CP-SK where a zig-zag maneuver would have to be performed, as the Secondary connects to SK east of the connection to the wye track between the Selkirk Branck and the River Line. Convoluted? You betcha. But nothing would surprise me at this point. And since the Amsterdam NY wreck would likely be cleared up before this is, look for the 404 and 403 to revert to a Syracuse/Selkirk routing, with the 403 crossing into the NYSW at CP-5 to deliver their cars before continuing to Oak Island. Stay Tuined Kids.... its all uphill from here! in both directions!

by ANDY117

How far from Bingo? What's the power? did we lose any ALCo's!?!?

by cjvrr

Andy,

Shohola is the first passing siding west of Port Jervis. This is about 5 mile east of Lackawaxen. Crew is safe and sound and reports say it is cars that derailed, not the engines.

by DJ

Couldn't they use the connector in Albany to get to Kenwood, instead of going up to Mechanicville and then back down?

I mean take CP/ DH to Schenectady, then keep going east on the CSX line to Albany then use the connector to go south to Kenwood.

Or maybe they could use the Carmen Cutoff?

by rcbsd45

Thats also a possibility that i hadn't thought of....and as information, CSX has one track opened at the Amsterdam NY derailment site as of this afternoon, and it is expected to have the other track open sometime within the next 36-48 hours, although with the appropriate speed restrictions. This may well preclude any further NYS&W detours... I say MAY becuase it depends on the clean up progress at the Sholoa, PA derailment. Otherwise look for the Q404/403 traffic to move via Selkirk the next couple of days...... stay tuned.....

by DJ

It looks like what I had in mind is not easily done.

The way the track is set up, there is no way to get from the CP/DH northbound to CSX eastbound in Schenetady without making a reverse move, or running around the train.

by RSD15

at this time 11pm eastbound 403 has arrived at syracuse and is pulling onto the NYSW
the Q166 came north to syracuse and headed east on the CSX main to selkirk.it appears they didnt want to chance a trip up the utica side.
charles

by John_Henry

Just for the sake of conjecture, couldn't a 166 detour also go south from Bingo to Oak Isalnd via the D&H and up the P&HC? No longer than via Syracuse, for sure, but easier than up the A&S and making a runaround at Mohawk to use the Adirondack connector.

by njt4172

Any updates on the cleanup process?? Is the Tier open yet???

Thanks,
Steve

by n2xjk

From today's Times Herald Record. There are pictures on their web site also, but you have to register to see them.

Train derailment has officials scrambling

By Jessica Gardner
Times Herald-Record
[email protected]

Shohola, Pa. – A freight train broke apart in three locations along train tracks nestled next to the Delaware River shortly after noon yesterday.
At least nine of about 120 cars on the train left the tracks in Shohola and Pond Eddy, both in Pike County, Pa.
No injuries were reported.
The names of the two people on the train, the conductor and the engineer, were not available yesterday.
Although the train, owned by New York, Susquehanna and Western Railway, was carrying some petroleum products, those cars were intact and upright, officials said. Several other cars, however, suffered various levels of damage.
When the call came in, fire officials quickly began preparing for a massive evacuation because of a delay in acquiring the train's manifest, which lists the contents of the freight cars.
"We didn't know what we were looking at, so we went with the worst-case scenario until we heard otherwise," Don Wall, the Shohola fire chief, said.
A bus was put on standby to help evacuate residents if the need arose. Several boats also were launched into the Delaware to help move residents who live between the tracks and the river. One rescue boat from Sullivan County capsized in the river, although no one was injured.
It turned out, however, that none of the train's hazardous materials were at risk from the derailment.
"We could have had this wrapped up in 20 minutes if we'd have had that manifest," Wall said.
Instead, officials were scrambling for almost an hour, preparing to clear out residents.
According to Wall, the conductor, who got off the train, didn't have the manifest in hand when authorities tracked him down. The engineer, who stayed on the train, wouldn't hand it over.
Instead, he would only allow fire officials to scrutinize it while in his possession.
"People live on this river," Wall said. "We have a right to know what's on that train. I will be asking the township supervisor to find out what happened here."
No one from the railroad returned calls for comment on the cause of the derailment, but Wall thought the weather was a contributing factor.
Wall said it appeared that no one on the train immediately realized the first set of cars broke off. When the discovery was finally made, several other sections came apart while the train was being brought to a stop.
The train was scattered over several miles of track.
At one site near the end of Bee Hollow Road, several cars crashed together like an accordion, gouging out earth and splintering a tree. A length of track was peeled up in a wide arc and miles of rail ties were torn apart.
Officials hoped to have the site clear by this morning.

by cranky2073

What's up with that engineer not handing over the manifest? Jeez.

If it happened in NY, the EnCon cops would have taken him away in handcuffs.

by Aji-tater

I would not put much faith in that news report, sounds like a bunch of speculation and misinformation. How could part of the train "break off" without putting it in emergency? They make it sound like the thing went for miles without knowing part was missing.

As for the list of cars - this is speculation but it could be the train went in emergency and the conductor walked back expecting to find a busted hose or broken knuckle, and left the consist with the engineer which would be OK. So if the local firemen find him walking the train that's a good reason he didn't have it with him. As for the engineer, who knows how many different sets of people are going to climb onto the engine and demand to see the list - it's possible that multiple fire departments responded, plus police, encon, who knows what else. If he gives his one and only copy to somebody to carry away, how does he know that person is the one with ultimate authority? It does NOT say he refused to disclose the train makeup, only that he insisted on retaining possession of the paperwork.

If it actually happened as they say, I'd say the guy did the right thing.

by JBlaisdell

Wall said it appeared that no one on the train immediately realized the first set of cars broke off. When the discovery was finally made, several other sections came apart while the train was being brought to a stop.
The train was scattered over several miles of track.
The engineer has a responsibility to see those documents are kept safe unless he has been otherwise ordered to turn them over by the RR. He did not try to conceal them, just wanted to keep them secure.

I'm more concerned as to why the train did not go into emergency when it seperated the first time!

by roadster

I just deliverered Q403-14 to NYSW at Geddes street this morning about 11:00 am, and the Q403-12 was still there. We had to wait for Q 404-13 to depart before we could pull our train in. Keep in mind that both of these trains are utilized by the NYS&W to make drops and Pickups along their railroad. We refer to them as "Mine Sweepers". As far as the rear cars detached without breaking the airline, it is not unheard of for vandals to close anglecocks in the middle of a consist stopped within urban areas. The conductor is responsible for the trains manifest paper work. As stated he most likely left the manifest on the engines and while required to produce the papers for emergency responders, he will secure the manifest in his possession untill releived by RR officials.