• NS creates "Empire Link" with NY shortines

• Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New York State.
Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New York State.

Moderator: Otto Vondrak

by Otto Vondrak

Sarge wrote:How much of this trackage (or generally speaking trackage in NYS) still CR Shared Assets, and what effect does that have on this plan? That always confused me.
As far as I know, this has nothing to do with Shared Assets at all. There is no Shared Assets trackage in New York State. CSAO only exists in North Jersey, Detroit, and Philadelphia.

http://www.conrail.com/

-otto-
  by K4Pacific

"Unfortunately, few buffalo guys know how to switch cars. They block swap, but if they had to switch out the number of cars we do, they would be in trouble. Also, their customer base is almost down to nothing. So many businesses have moved out of Buffalo, there is really not that much work there anymore." - Gang Mills source.

Sure, pride shows here, but he also knows Buffalo as he was there last weekend helping out. How true as the Buffalo area lost a population base roughly the size of Penn Yan or Bath, NY about 5,000 people last year.

One again though, if one can think or know of a commodity group that would like to distribute hub and spoke from Elmira to Bing, Syr, Roch, Scranton, Williamsport, et al. Just puuting it out there. But, we have Wagner Lumber, Cummings Lumber and the like wanting to put in here at the transmodal facility.
  by K4Pacific

The Southern Tier Line can handle 24 trains easily with it's single track high speed infrastructure and sidings every 20 or so miles (excepted are CP-Elmira to CP-Johnson wiht that 25mph stick stuff that is still unresolved). All I hear are crickets in Elmira during the day next to the track here. The two eastbounds bag CP-Elmira between noon and two give or take. The Elmira yard job wohoo. There's an early daylight WB when I come into the office 12T I beleive with CN empties.

CP and Binghamton are the bottle necks.In the past, I've seen the Binghamton Yard Limits begin at CP-Elmira as a train was held because CP couldn't accept it yet.

I'm a proponant of directional running. I have often suggested LV main Sayre to CP-Dupont as the EB main that don't need Binghamton while CP-Dupont to Binghamton as the WB main. Block Swap Gang Mills Elmira with H88 as the Binghamton toe job as it is now. Conrail did block swap in Elmira/GM for some time. I'm also a proponant of the NS (NYSW) Binghamton to Campbell Hall to Sparta Jct. to NJ Routing negating the commuter world which is burgeoning as a releif valve for Newark area traffic.
  by K4Pacific

So bring on the Patriot Corridor, but that's another thread. I aplogize.

by Jeff Smith

Otto Vondrak wrote:
Sarge wrote:How much of this trackage (or generally speaking trackage in NYS) still CR Shared Assets, and what effect does that have on this plan? That always confused me.
As far as I know, this has nothing to do with Shared Assets at all. There is no Shared Assets trackage in New York State. CSAO only exists in North Jersey, Detroit, and Philadelphia.

http://www.conrail.com/

-otto-
Thanks, Otto. That's good to know. I was always under the impression that the majority of CR was dropped into CSAO to allay anti-trust concerns, but see that's no longer the case.

by ANDY117

12T usually makes it out of here in the wee hours of the morning. Although, it isn't uncommon for a NS train to take up to 8 hours to get through East Binghamton. (no joke). The 25 MPH stick rail is supposed to become welded in the next maintenance blitz, but we'll see when NS pulls that off. That would leave the area between Binghamton and Waverly double tracked to 50 MPH, with a crossover out in Owego.

And how long until NS realizes that Sayre still exists? And hoe much longer after that until they see the mainline into Allentown that RBMN has?