• NS Corning Secondary question

• Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New York State.
Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New York State.

Moderator: Otto Vondrak

by frankgaron2

Hi All:

Camped out at the Watkins Glen/Corning KOA this past weekend and saw one northbound NS freight and heard a southbound go through overnight.

2 questions:

1. What does NS use the line for - what trains, what frequency etc?

2. I saw a bunch of autoracks etc at the yard north of CP Glass in Corning. What does NS use the yard for, and were the autoracks stored or where would they typically have been going?

Thanks,

Frank
  by lvrr325

1 - Interchange to Finger Lakes and a local customer or two - there's an extensive thread in this forum if you search.

2 - storage.
  by K4Pacific

HO-6 on duty M-F 1700. By KOA north at 2000, south at 0200.
  by poppyl

As things stand today, there are no customers on the Secondary so all of the HO6 traffic is interchange with FGLK at Geneva.

Where you saw the string of autoracks is the recently expanded former NYC Baker Street yard. A while back the NS Gang Mills yard was overflowing with traffic, due primarily to the expansion of the frac sand business. To mitigate the congestion NS added several tracks to the old Baker Street yard in North Corning -- primarily for sand hoppers and possibly a transload operaton. Unfortunately, the slow down in drilling in PA (and perpetual delay in NY) lessened the car storage needs and the tracks sit there unused or underused most of the time. When the drilling business picks up again the availability of the extra storage track will be put to good use.

Poppyl
  by Kendaia1

Good news for the old Fallbrook Line- Greenidge power plant at Dresden has been purchased and will re-open in fall 2014

http://www.fltimes.com/news/article_586 ... f887a.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

On a side note: Whatever happened to K4 Pacific? I always enjoyed his insight and it seems he hasn't been on here in quite some time.
  by poppyl

Kendaia1 wrote:On a side note: Whatever happened to K4 Pacific? I always enjoyed his insight and it seems he hasn't been on here in quite some time.
I believe that K4 has left employment with NS for a job closer to home.

Poppyl
  by poppyl

Kendaia1 wrote:Good news for the old Fallbrook Line- Greenidge power plant at Dresden has been purchased and will re-open in fall 2014
That is good news for the local jobs and tax revenue. Not as sure about how much traffic the re-opened station will generate for NS compared to the old days of an almost daily drag, however. Given the plan to maintain the station for load leveling and willingness to part with emissions credits, I still believe nat gas will be the long term fuel of choice unless the price of gas goes through the overhead.

All-in-all, a very positive move for the area. Now, if we can just do something about Dundee Foods and the old Morton site in Himrod ....... :-)

Poppyl
  by BR&P

Wonder what arrangement AES had with the municipalities for taxation. The article says "Because of AES’s departure, local governments have been receiving no tax revenue from the site." Did AES abandon the land to the local township? And it does not state who Atlas purchased the place from.

It's encouraging to see the statement "The plant will help enhance the electrical grid’s reliability and reduce the state’s reliance on natural gas, offering a low-cost power source during peak heating season, Atlas said." So it seems they do want to stay with coal at least for now.

It sounds like it's still quite early in the process yet though. A couple lawsuits from the greenie-weenies could derail the whole thing. Let's hope that does not happen. It would be good to see coal going in there again, even if in smaller amounts.
  by poppyl

Off topic here, but if the plant resumes operation, the large mouth bass fishing around the outlet pipe will come back as the plant heats the lake water in that area.

Poppyl
  by bwparker1

Kendaia1 wrote:Good news for the old Fallbrook Line- Greenidge power plant at Dresden has been purchased and will re-open in fall 2014

http://www.fltimes.com/news/article_586 ... f887a.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

On a side note: Whatever happened to K4 Pacific? I always enjoyed his insight and it seems he hasn't been on here in quite some time.
Great News!
  by ricebrianrice

And there will one warm spot in Seneca to Swim again, Yeah.