• NS & M&E Inspection Tour - 12 Aug

• Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New Jersey
Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New Jersey

Moderator: David

by blockline4180

henry6 wrote:Its not a matter of M&E distances it is a matter of interchange.

What do u mean???
  by henry6

sullivan1985 wrote:
henry6 wrote:If you are a railfan you know.
With all due respect, some rail fans know nothing.
I am finding that out a lot here lately. But I am really trying to make a few of them think and check before they post something. Or look it up, research it. Yeah, I was being snide and sarcasatic concerning "interchange", but I am suspicious that too many rely on what is printed on these pages without finding out more, or checking facts and getting a snow job in the process. (Oh, do you note I am on a crusade these days?)

Ok. Maybe we have one big, interconnected railroad system but that does not mean all is equal. The shipper has a right to buy and choose a routing for his product. Or there is a shorter route via one connection to one railroad, or the same railroad. If there is a contract or a rate or an agreement of somekind, originating railroad, and consequent railroads, are supposed to interchange at given connecting points. And if a railroad has more than one railroad to interchange with, he affords the shipper the choice. You could therefore have a shipper in Wharton that chooses or has need to ship M&E via NS at Dover or Hackettstown or Washington or he could have the choice or need to have the m&E interchange his shipments with CSX at Kearny. In fact, there may not be an established interchange at Kearney or anyplace else between CSX and M&E and therefore every M&E car has to go west via NS! Rules, regulations, contracts, permissions, etc. all will determine interchange. A track connection does not guarentee an interchange in fact.
  by Sirsonic

As a condition of the line sales by Conrail to Morris County for the lines the M&E operates under contract for the county, the interchange for all traffic moving to and from those lines was fixed at Lake Jct. In addition to that, a fixed payment per car, rather than a division of the total rate, was set for each car interchanged. Expect a sale agreement for the rights and lines of the H02 to include such a restrictive interchange clause, as well as a flat payment per car. These agreements are so common when Class 1 RRs spin off trackage, the STB has recently made new rules regarding such "interchange commitments" and how affected customers must have such agreements disclosed to them.
  by henry6

Also, an interchange point is desingated by two railroads in order that division of rate can be established for milage, per diem when and where applicable, and any other fixed or added charges (terminal charges, surcharges, etc.)
  by mikedc3

Don't look now but we have a elitist crusader amongst us. Image

No wonder this board is so dead anymore, Between people who can't answer simple questions, to the site admin locking every other thread. It's no surprise hardly anyone from the good ol days posts here anymore.

RR.NET NJ Forum:
  by henry6

mikedc3 wrote:Don't look now but we have a elitist crusader amongst us. Image

No wonder this board is so dead anymore, Between people who can't answer simple questions, to the site admin locking every other thread. It's no surprise hardly anyone from the good ol days posts here anymore.

RR.NET NJ Forum:
If by "elitist crusader" you mean someone who wants to be technically correct, accurate, or cite proper rules and regulations, precise history and attributions, then you are very wrong. If it is not correct and accurate, then what good is it to ask these questions, bring up these topics, and have these discussions. If you are nothing more than a common picture taker, then get off here and stay out of the way. BTW, cute graphics; why don't you go to work for Disney?!
  by Fallenflagsnjersey2

As A former travler from the falls(never got there) to the Notch between the rocks I only have memories.. Yes I have been to greenwood lk. Yes I remember the old main line and I cried the whole year following the gap incident. AM I angry over rt.80?- How about the destuction of the electric trams or the destuction of the Dundee? I'm thankfull for the posters here and the only viable sorce for me;preservation of the infrastructure.