• Noticed/Questioned Major Delays, Annulments, Reroutes

• Discussion related to Amtrak also known as the National Railroad Passenger Corp.
Discussion related to Amtrak also known as the National Railroad Passenger Corp.

Moderators: GirlOnTheTrain, mtuandrew, Tadman

by hi55us

R36 Combine Coach wrote:80 (25) late after hitting truck

About 3 1/2 hours behind at this point, about to reach Baltimore. Getting live updates from someone on board.
Only 160 people on board... that seems low
  by ohioriverrailway

Some days when 30 arrives PGH between 730 and 745, they hold 42 from its normal 730 departure. Other days they don't.
Would it be reasonable to guess that when 42 isn't held, there are no pax transferring from 30 to 42??
  by twropr

Today, Sat. the 1st, Auto Train #53 arrived Sanford 2'13" LT with ENG 148 leading. SILVER STAR #91 was about 25" behind #53 with one engine. Me thinks that #91 had set off a unit in Richmond for #53 since #91 was there for almost two hours. If anyone around Richmond saw what actually happened, I'd be interested.
Too bad they didn't have a protect engine there since Richmond gets about the same number of trains as Harrisburg, where they do have a protect.
Andy
  by ohioriverrailway

I had a fairly long conversation with an NS engineer during the weekend. He said they'd installed a new computer dispatch system...resulting in a system-wide meltdown similar to the one when NS took over operations from CR a while back. He commented that trains were sitting for extended periods of time because the system they'd purchased was inadequate to handle the number of trains operated.

Anybody hear anything of a similar nature?
  by twropr

ohioriverrailway wrote:I had a fairly long conversation with an NS engineer during the weekend. He said they'd installed a new computer dispatch system...resulting in a system-wide meltdown similar to the one when NS took over operations from CR a while back. He commented that trains were sitting for extended periods of time because the system they'd purchased was inadequate to handle the number of trains operated.

This complaint from the American Train Dispatchers Association, which I pulled up through Google, will fill you in on some of the background and examples of what is happening.
http://www.updispatchers.com/ATDAFormal ... NSUTCS.pdf" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Andy
  by F40

twropr wrote:Today, Sat. the 1st, Auto Train #53 arrived Sanford 2'13" LT with ENG 148 leading. SILVER STAR #91 was about 25" behind #53 with one engine. Me thinks that #91 had set off a unit in Richmond for #53 since #91 was there for almost two hours. If anyone around Richmond saw what actually happened, I'd be interested.
Too bad they didn't have a protect engine there since Richmond gets about the same number of trains as Harrisburg, where they do have a protect.
Andy
Was this the incident which resulted in a CSX engine (GP40-2) pulling an Amtrak train for some distance because one of the axles on the P42 seized up? I came across a photo/article on facebook but can't find it now (buried somewhere in the feed).
  by cobra30689

ohioriverrailway wrote:I had a fairly long conversation with an NS engineer during the weekend. He said they'd installed a new computer dispatch system...resulting in a system-wide meltdown similar to the one when NS took over operations from CR a while back. He commented that trains were sitting for extended periods of time because the system they'd purchased was inadequate to handle the number of trains operated.

He is 100% correct. When I worked for VRE I dealt with that mess on the Washington District. Some of the "decisions" it made were borderline SCARY....and it was nearly on a daily basis. I will not be even slightly surprised if some kind of disaster occurs in the near future.
  by ACeInTheHole

F40 wrote:
twropr wrote:Today, Sat. the 1st, Auto Train #53 arrived Sanford 2'13" LT with ENG 148 leading. SILVER STAR #91 was about 25" behind #53 with one engine. Me thinks that #91 had set off a unit in Richmond for #53 since #91 was there for almost two hours. If anyone around Richmond saw what actually happened, I'd be interested.
Andy
Was this the incident which resulted in a CSX engine (GP40-2) pulling an Amtrak train for some distance because one of the axles on the P42 seized up? I came across a photo/article on facebook but can't find it now (buried somewhere in the feed).
Ive seen that exact post. 148 was trailing in the pic I saw. #4450 was the Geep leading. That particular auto train had many more issues than just the motive power, apparently someone passed away on board too.
  by F40

ACeInTheHole wrote:
F40 wrote:
Andy
Ive seen that exact post. 148 was trailing in the pic I saw. #4450 was the Geep leading. That particular auto train had many more issues than just the motive power, apparently someone passed away on board too.
That is terrible news. :(
  by theozno

Coast starlight 11 got hit hard from the Union Pacific track work last night. We then had conductors and engineers get toward their hours had a plan in place being 4 hours late bit then we hit a broken signal which then a little bit later made the conductors go "dead" and we sat another 2 hours. We missed our connection to 6 California Zephyr so instead of amtrak hosting us for the night they instead gave us a uncomfortable 3 hour bus ride to Reno. On 6 now hopefully on time for Chicago on Thursday
  by twropr

On Nov. 11 TEXAS EAGLE #22 arrived ST Louis over two hrs late due to ENG 817 shutting down. Was there a protect engine at STL that came and got him or was power from one of the LINCOLN SERVICE trains robbed?

Andy
  by ACeInTheHole

theozno wrote:Coast starlight 11 got hit hard from the Union Pacific track work last night. We then had conductors and engineers get toward their hours had a plan in place being 4 hours late bit then we hit a broken signal which then a little bit later made the conductors go "dead" and we sat another 2 hours. We missed our connection to 6 California Zephyr so instead of amtrak hosting us for the night they instead gave us a uncomfortable 3 hour bus ride to Reno. On 6 now hopefully on time for Chicago on Thursday
Man. Even in the middle of nowhere you still cant make your connections.