• Noticed/Questioned Major Delays, Annulments, Reroutes

• Discussion related to Amtrak also known as the National Railroad Passenger Corp.
Discussion related to Amtrak also known as the National Railroad Passenger Corp.

Moderators: GirlOnTheTrain, mtuandrew, Tadman

by Greg Moore

Oh and it gets better. Gentleman in front of me called the 1-800 number and was told they'd honor tickets for 85 on 127. So a bunch of us trooped upstairs.

I get in line (somehow must have beat the other gentleman) to find out in fact they are NOT honoring tickets for 85 on 127.

Fortunately, 85 had not left by the time I raced back downstairs (and in fact ended up in the exact same seat I had vacated.)

But clearly here, the left hand did not know what the right hand was doing.

So.. the total today of trains I've seen first hand delayed:
280 (no idea when it ever got to ALB)
290 Left ALB about 10 minutes late I think.
85 - we finally left almost exactly an hour late (got me wondering are in front of 127 or behind and what will happen later in the trip.)
69 - Arrived ALB late and left late.
49 - Saw on the board and heard announced while I upstairs checking out 127 it was delayed and they'd announce it later. By the time I left on 85, I could see 49 leaving (with 3 viewliners even!) Not sure how they got it boarded so quickly (less than 10 minutes elapsed between the "go back to your seats we'll call you to board" and the time it left. Ok, maybe 15.)

Yeah, Amtrak ain't doing great today.
  by BM6569

48 just left SDY 6 hours late. lost over 2 hours between Rochester and Syracuse. 64 lost 2' 45" between those stations as well as 281 2 hours and 63 almost three hours.
  by BM6569

283 is stuck in this section now too. Left SYR on time. Was due into Rochester a little after 8. It's quarter to 11 and still hasn't arrived. 49 isn't running to badly (under an hour late) but will probably loose time there too
  by steve4031

I'm on 30 now just north of alliance. We hit a trespasser at about 6:10 am. We were already three hours late. So this is going to be long day. I'm connecting to 97 and am expecting a bus ride from Pittsburg to washington.
  by ohioriverrailway

30 is 6+ hours late; 43 shows a service disruption between Philadelphia and Paoli. Not a good day to try to get to/from the 'burgh.
  by csor2010

The NEC was having a bad day today...2153 hit a person south of Philly (news article here) and 172's motor apparently died coming out of NYP, resulting in the following delays:

2158 was 1' down into NHV
2160 was 25" down into NHV
172 was 2'45" down into NHV with AMTK 923.
86 was 1'30" down into NHV with AMTK 661.
174 was 1' down leaving NYP.

I was on 86 NHV-BOS; since 172 made an OSB stop ahead of us and we didn't, we got the privilege of riding their yellows any time we approached a station. Additionally, once we got to Mansfield we crawled all the way to 128 since MBTA 822 had gotten out in front of 172 and was making local stops. At the end of the day 172 was over 3' down into BOS and 86 was around 2'15" late, arriving around 18:50.

Just another day on the railroad...
  by jhdeasy

shlustig wrote:Does anybody know why #20 (5th) northbound Crescent lost 4' 40" between CVS and ALX on the 6th AM?
It is my understanding the engineer operated train past a stop signal at the interlocking (RIO) where the double track ends just north of Charlottesville. They had to wait for a relief engineer to take train north, and presumably for NS signal/track personnel to investigate.

Here is a photo of the location taken a few years ago.

View looking north
http://wikimapia.org/22679504/NS-RIO-In ... to/2152409

View looking south
http://wikimapia.org/22679504/NS-RIO-In ... to/2152412
  by mike253

Southwest Chief ( #3/of 8/11) reportedly arrived LAX almost 8 hours late today (8/13.)
Schedule has been pretty good recently.
Any reasons given?
  by Backshophoss

Possibly held for late connection at Chicago,Track work Congestion on the LaJunta Sub,reported slow order near Blanchard NM,
Start of the seasonal traffic buildup on the Transconn EB out of LA/Long Beach ports,and the Scouts heading to/from Raton NM
for the Philmont Scout Ranch.

Over the last few weeks,#3 has been late out of Chicago 2-2.5 hours 2-3 times a week

Both #3(12) and #4(12) were in ABQ around the same time tonight,#4(12) was 6 hours+ late at Needles,wound
up +9 hours late at ABQ,#3(12) was OT till Kansas City,then lost time across the LaJunta sub. :(
  by AMTK1007

mike253 wrote:Southwest Chief ( #3/of 8/11) reportedly arrived LAX almost 8 hours late today (8/13.)
Schedule has been pretty good recently.
Any reasons given?
I understand there were washouts encountered.
  by Dick H

Both Adirondacks, #68 and #69 running 4 hours late. #68 did dwell and extra
hour at Rouses Point, probably for customs. Must be some other issues on
the ex D&H line.
  by Arlington

@ NYP for the half hour I have been here waiting for 2166 to BBY they say "all NJT & Amtrak" northbound (rr east?) are delayed an indeterminate time. Due to a "track obstruction west of Trenton" (south?). Any hints? I might hafts bail for the LimoLiner (yes a bus) at 6:00pm if this keeps up.
  by Gilbert B Norman

As reported at the UP Forum, there has been a major derailment incident at Hoxie AR.

Unfortunately, there were fatalities.

Since Hoxie is on the route of 21 22, Eagle, in all likelihood, the disruption will result in a Bustetoot, but could the Eagle run through Dupo, then X Old Man River at Thebes, thence to Little Rock. That would certainly represent rare mileage. I can't think of when a passenger train last operated over the Thebes bridge.
  by Mackensen

Arlington wrote:@ NYP for the half hour I have been here waiting for 2166 to BBY they say "all NJT & Amtrak" northbound (rr east?) are delayed an indeterminate time. Due to a "track obstruction west of Trenton" (south?). Any hints? I might hafts bail for the LimoLiner (yes a bus) at 6:00pm if this keeps up.
A little late, but there was police activity somewhere between Philadelphia and Trenton.