Discussion relating to the operations of MTA MetroNorth Railroad including west of Hudson operations and discussion of CtDOT sponsored rail operations such as Shore Line East and the Springfield to New Haven Hartford Line

Moderators: GirlOnTheTrain, nomis, FL9AC, Jeff Smith

by brnxvill

Don't like 'em! Too many bells/whistles. Uncomfotable seats. Miss the ACMU's!! Anyone with me??

by Otto Vondrak

Yeah, nothing new there. But we're stuck with them for the next 20 years or so. And, it's better than not getting any new equipment at all. We're more fortunate than other commuter rail agencies around the country.

-otto-

by brnxvill

shame...

by Jondude11

Between stations the train makes three announcements:

At the station: "This station is Hawthorne, this is the train to Southeast, the next station is Pleasantville"
In the middle: "This is the train to Southeast, the next station is Pleasantville"
Right before arriving at the next station: "This station is Pleasantville"

If you just get rid of the middle one, it'll be a lot more comfortable and less annoying to passengers. Passengers can hear that the next station is Pleasantville at Hawthorne, we all know we're going to Southeast (the "This is the train to Southeast" just benefits people getting on the train), and passengers can read the ticker screen that says Pleasantville on it. There's no reason for that 2nd bell, and if i were living in Southeast, having to hear that all the way from White Plains to Southeast every stop, I think I'd have a major headache.

The trains are fine - they're nice and quiet, but the quiet is kind of awkward after being used to the older M3 trains, and they're a tad too bright. Besides that, they're nice trains, and good in the snow, so no complaints here as long as they eliminate that middle announcement. Something must be done about it.

by dc700

Maybe they could shorten the arm rests on the isle.

And add them to the interior seats. The seats are so small I am forever
getting someones elbow shoulder or worse press into me.

by Head-end View

Isn't anyone concerned about their most obvious railfan deficiency? :(

by JayMan

I'd say yes but because we know any alternative would have the same problem, well, not much else to say. :(

by Mr Met

Hey you will soon have to deal whit them on all line when the M-8's get here

by brnxvill

I guess it's the annoucements and flashing lights and warning horns etcetera, I'm a traditionalist I suppose...
  by Head-end View

MrMet: And people wonder why I'm so pessimistic. You may be right, BUT I am not required to like it ! :(