• Northern Branch HBLR (was DMU proposal)

• Discussion related to New Jersey Transit rail and light rail operations.
Discussion related to New Jersey Transit rail and light rail operations.

Moderators: lensovet, Kaback9, nick11a

by northjerseybuff

Douglas, what is a realistic time line to get this thing built up to Richfield?
  by Roadgeek Adam

northjerseybuff wrote:Douglas, what is a realistic time line to get this thing built up to Richfield?
Pardon me asking, and don't take offense to this, but do you mean Ridgefield for Richfield? I am absolutely confused to what you're referencing here.
  by Steve F45

Roadgeek Adam wrote:
Steve F45 wrote:everything south has been developed. Where they proposed the station is now a strip mall for asian store's. And across where the factory is, looks to be under contruction for new condo's.
Then, what's wrong with rebuilding the Ridgefield Station site that is still there, just overgrown?
because the actual plot isn't the same size as it was 100 years ago or whenever the station was last there. There is no open land by there anymore for a parking lot. The land they have in there deis was a nice size lot for a parking lot and station.
  by northjerseybuff

yes..sorry ridgefield! Mayor of Tenafly is on newschannel 12. Why can't Tenafly think long term here? All his concerns are short term and easily fixed. So frustrating
  by N4J

Tenafly people are so stuck up , nothing ever change over there. But Englewood , Ridgefield & Leonia have changed there opinions and have already gotten started with TODing around future stations and around town in General.... Englewood hopes to have all its warehouses bought up and transformed into "commuter condos" by 2030 from what i'm hearing. I think NJT should cut the line back to Englewood Hospital and one day when Tenafly wants it they'll get it. Its sad but then this way the project will run smoothly with some issues with over crowding in Englewood. Sadly it will take decades for Teanfly to change ,there so stuck up nothing changes in that town or Cresskill there also super corrupt over there but that's another story. Of course Corruption in my opinion is holding the town back and might be the reason why the Mayor objects.... I was talking to a person who works for the Town of Closter and they really wanted the line so that they can revitalize there Downtown ,and cash in on the NYC / Urban Jersey commuter market which has a strong poll (up to 100 mi)
'
  by Steve F45

Or just say f u tenafly, just like transit did to oradell originally when they added the passing sidings on the pvl. Eventually oradell gave in and now gets service.
  by N4J

Steve F45 wrote:Or just say f u tenafly, just like transit did to oradell originally when they added the passing sidings on the pvl. Eventually oradell gave in and now gets service.
Well Oradell is not as powerful as Tenafly , so the F U strategy might kill the whole project... We should send Rail fanners and Employees to the meetings and explain to them the benefits of service....although this might backfire. There arguments are pretty weak when you think about it , worried about parking and changes to there ugly downtown....
  by Roadgeek Adam

For the sake of keeping the news story being scrutinized here, here were a part of Mayor Rustin's comments on News 12:

http://www.news12.com/articleDetail.jsp ... _type=news
  by Steve F45

That quote he had "when the bridge was built people chose to drive or take the bus", yea because they had options 50 years ago in a time when they didn't. Now they are being given another option to get cars off roadways and this mayor thinks its bad. Unreal. And that last guy from Cresskill complaining of traffic. No crap really? Its bergen county, its not some sleepy little community county. Its always busy from the amount of residents living here.
  by N4J

Those 2 towns are the only ones in the county that seem to be full of ppl who are backwards thinking and keep re-electing there corrupt Govts....Hopefully this tells NJT to back from Tenafly before they get Christie's attention...who will likely kill the project although the County wouldn't like that seeing its in there long term Transportation plans.
  by Hawaiitiki

Nexis4Jersey wrote:Those 2 towns are the only ones in the county that seem to be full of ppl who are backwards thinking and keep re-electing there corrupt Govts....Hopefully this tells NJT to back from Tenafly before they get Christie's attention...who will likely kill the project although the County wouldn't like that seeing its in there long term Transportation plans.
This project may have more steam than you think as the last time Christie was asked about this project, he was in favor of it. And I'm pretty sure there are plenty of other backwards thinking corrupt goverments in Bergen County, maybe even more so than in most places. Everybody wants a piece of the pie. Yea the more Southerly towns of the extension are more in favor of it, but most likely in anticipation of the condo developments and increased tax base that have accompanied Light-Rail expansion in the past. Also, in all of these Southerly towns except Englewood, there will be no disruption to their tradional downtown, and grade crossings up until Downtown Englewood are relatively non-existent. So its not a shock that Tenafly, being wealthier, more suburban in nature, and lacking disused open space for development, would be against this project. The mayor will say its about traffic, noise, and downtown disruption, but its ALWAYS about the dough. The Wu-Tang Clan said it best in their classic song, C.R.E.A.M.; Cash Rules Everything Around Me
  by Jeff Smith

Brief, fair-use quote as required from ^ linked article:
The plan calls for running the light rail cars over existing freight lines. Critics say the problem is a lack of parking and the cost of road expansion that could run into the millions.

Bergen County residents can comment on the plan at a series of public hearings scheduled for the end of January.

Public hearings are scheduled for:

Jan. 24 at 3 p.m. and 7 p.m. - Clinton Inn 145 Dean Drive, Tenafly
Jan. 26 at 3 p.m. and 7 p.m.- Crowne Plaza Engelwood Hotel, 401 S. Van Brunt St.
  by Jeff Smith

Nexis4Jersey wrote:Tenafly people are so stuck up , nothing ever change over there. But Englewood , Ridgefield & Leonia have changed there opinions and have already gotten started with TODing around future stations and around town in General.... Englewood hopes to have all its warehouses bought up and transformed into "commuter condos" by 2030 from what i'm hearing. I think NJT should cut the line back to Englewood Hospital and one day when Tenafly wants it they'll get it. Its sad but then this way the project will run smoothly with some issues with over crowding in Englewood. Sadly it will take decades for Teanfly to change ,there so stuck up nothing changes in that town or Cresskill there also super corrupt over there but that's another story. Of course Corruption in my opinion is holding the town back and might be the reason why the Mayor objects.... I was talking to a person who works for the Town of Closter and they really wanted the line so that they can revitalize there Downtown ,and cash in on the NYC / Urban Jersey commuter market which has a strong poll (up to 100 mi)
'
Let's leave the ad hominem attacks on Tenafly out of this, as well as accusations of corruption in Cresskill. I've never been to Tenafly or Cresskill, so I can't say if they're stuck up and/or corrupt. Unless you're going to back it up with actual evidence. It's easy to make such a generalized statement.
  by Marv95

Bottom line is if they can find the funds to extend the HBLR that far up they can find the funds to extend the NCS/NLR to the Airport or Jersey Gardens. No excuses.
  by northjerseybuff

they found the funds to extend in bayonne!