• Northeast Regional 188 - Accident In Philadelphia

• Discussion related to Amtrak also known as the National Railroad Passenger Corp.
Discussion related to Amtrak also known as the National Railroad Passenger Corp.

Moderators: GirlOnTheTrain, mtuandrew, Tadman

by 8th Notch

l008com wrote:
boomer wrote:It is believed that the engineer thought he was elsewhere along the route. How he became unaware of exactly where he was can only be guessed at this point. More details will obviously become available in time.

I've often wondered about this. Rail ROWs have no lighting and minimal signage, compared to a traditional highway. It seems like something that could happen pretty easily at night? I know I've had it happen to me driving on the highway at night some times, and even riding my bike at night. It certainly seems plausible? Any engineers here want to chime in on this specific subtopic? I'd be curious to hear.

Knowing your territory whether it's day, night, foggy, snowing is part of the job no excuses. The locomotives have headlights as well as every CAT pole has a number on it designating milepost location. Whether or not the engineer here had a medical condition or brain fart which caused him to become disoriented is a possibility however "I didn't know where I was" alone is not a valid reason PERIOD.
  by l008com

8th Notch wrote:
l008com wrote:
boomer wrote:It is believed that the engineer thought he was elsewhere along the route. How he became unaware of exactly where he was can only be guessed at this point. More details will obviously become available in time.

I've often wondered about this. Rail ROWs have no lighting and minimal signage, compared to a traditional highway. It seems like something that could happen pretty easily at night? I know I've had it happen to me driving on the highway at night some times, and even riding my bike at night. It certainly seems plausible? Any engineers here want to chime in on this specific subtopic? I'd be curious to hear.

Knowing your territory whether it's day, night, foggy, snowing is part of the job no excuses. The locomotives have headlights as well as every CAT pole has a number on it designating milepost location. Whether or not the engineer here had a medical condition or brain fart which caused him to become disoriented is a possibility however "I didn't know where I was" alone is not a valid reason PERIOD.
So how do you "train" for this (no pun intended)? Do you just ride up and down the route 100 times as an apprentice until you have the route memorized?
  by Greg Moore

8th Notch wrote:
l008com wrote:

While I agree 99%, we're also talking an area of human factors that we're still learning a lot about.
As others have said, it's like commuting to work. After you've done it 100 times, it becomes rote and if you asked most folks 5 minutes after they got to work to name any details about their drive they're unlikely to remember them. The more we do something, the less brain activity is required to handle it. (Think about driving in a new city for the first time where you may turn off the radio, shush everyone in the car and be hyper-vigilant, etc vs driving in your hometown where you may have the radio on, talking to others and only have one hand on the steering wheel.)

This is not to excuse the engineer, but simply to point out it's not necessarily as easy as saying, "he should have been paying attention". The brain is a pretty funny thing.
  by james1787

Greg Moore wrote:
8th Notch wrote:
l008com wrote:

While I agree 99%, we're also talking an area of human factors that we're still learning a lot about.
As others have said, it's like commuting to work. After you've done it 100 times, it becomes rote and if you asked most folks 5 minutes after they got to work to name any details about their drive they're unlikely to remember them. The more we do something, the less brain activity is required to handle it. (Think about driving in a new city for the first time where you may turn off the radio, shush everyone in the car and be hyper-vigilant, etc vs driving in your hometown where you may have the radio on, talking to others and only have one hand on the steering wheel.)

This is not to excuse the engineer, but simply to point out it's not necessarily as easy as saying, "he should have been paying attention". The brain is a pretty funny thing.
Regarding the commute to work... it doesn't take too long before you know every turn, every place you need to slow down, every building you see as land marks, every pothole location, etc. It almost becomes second nature and you don't even think about it. Even when I rode as a passenger as a commuter on a train for 8 or 9 years you knew where and when the phase gaps would occur, every place curve, every place the train would speed up or slow down, where every stop was, the order of stations, etc. I'm wondering if it will turn out being something like the metro north crash of a few years ago.. wasn't it fatigue and an undiagnosed case of sleep apnea? I guess we'll hear more as the details come out. My thoughts and prayers are with the passengers, crew and first responders.

After talking about this crash a bit with my Dad, he mentioned that my grandfather was a passenger on the 1951 crash in Woodbridge that killed 85 people. He can recall the tense hours after hearing of the crash not knowing whether his father was ok or not. It took a number of hours before my grandfather could find / get to a payphone and call home. He was in one of the cars that dangled off of a bridge. Pretty scary!
  by Gilbert B Norman

For Home Delivery Times customers, or near a library, here is New York Times coverage of the 1943 Frankford Jct incident. That appeared to be linked to a friction bearing car that was in the train's consist:

http://timesmachine.nytimes.com/timesma ... geNumber=1" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

The immediate comments by Messrs. James and Moore are meritorious. Familiarity leads to complacency. I assure you I have enough recollections in this almost 74 year life to support that.
Last edited by Gilbert B Norman on Thu May 14, 2015 9:00 am, edited 1 time in total.
  by scoostraw

RRspatch wrote:
SwingMan wrote:Engineers name was posted. Not posting it here just as an act of courtesy to him and his family..
Unfortunately this information has gotten out fairly quickly as it has been posted on Trainorders.com (where he apparently is a member)...
Has anybody heard from "Approach Medium"? Just wondering if perhaps he was on this train.
  by Greg Moore

scoostraw wrote:
RRspatch wrote:
SwingMan wrote:Engineers name was posted. Not posting it here just as an act of courtesy to him and his family..
Unfortunately this information has gotten out fairly quickly as it has been posted on Trainorders.com (where he apparently is a member)...
Has anybody heard from "Approach Medium"? Just wondering if perhaps he was on this train.
His last post appears to be from last night.
  by litz

Reports out this morning the engineer suffered a concussion, and does not remember the events of the accident...

(and yes, medically, that is quite possible)
  by BR&P

Just a few random observations:

Re the engineer's name, it's all over the print and TV media now.

Re losing track of where you are, it can happen on a train just as in an auto. But as previously said, it's no excuse and it's the engineer's responsibility to keep himself/herself alert and involved.

Re the high number of injuries, the train was going over 100 mph. Unless you're helmeted, roll-barred, and strapped in like NASCAR, injuries are inevitable.

Re the accident itself, to me it is very reminiscent of the one in NY City a year or two back, with the engineer regaining situational awareness just moments before the derailment.
  by mmi16

l008com wrote:

Since this happened about 3 miles from the passenger stop at 30th Street - I don't how one could believe they were elsewhere in their route. Had they been running for 50 or 100 miles - then I could see being lost - but 3 miles?????? and at the speeds the train attained - that is less than 3 minutes from releasing the brakes from the station stop.
  by nomis

[quote="mmi16"
Since this happened about 3 miles from the passenger stop at 30th Street - I don't how one could believe they were elsewhere in their route. Had they been running for 50 or 100 miles - then I could see being lost - but 3 miles?????? and at the speeds the train attained - that is less than 3 minutes from releasing the brakes from the station stop.[/quote]
Its approx 7.4 miles along the ROW from 30th Street ...
  by scoostraw

Greg Moore wrote:
scoostraw wrote:
RRspatch wrote:
His last post appears to be from last night.
Thanks Greg.
  by 8th Notch

l008com wrote:
8th Notch wrote:
l008com wrote:

So how do you "train" for this (no pun intended)? Do you just ride up and down the route 100 times as an apprentice until you have the route memorized?
You ride the route first until you learn it then you sit down with a rules examiner who gives you a test on the physical characteristics. After you pass all of the required testing you run under a instructor engineer until you have the required amount of trips (or hours) then if ready a Road Forman will take a certification ride with you. I have worked for at least 3 railroads and by far Amtrak is the only railroad that has a higher standard over the minimum federal requirements (CFR 240) as far as locomotive engineers.