• North Station/Elevated Green Line

• Discussion relating to commuter rail, light rail, and subway operations of the MBTA.
Discussion relating to commuter rail, light rail, and subway operations of the MBTA.

Moderators: sery2831, CRail

by CRail

How much longer does the elevated north station have to live?

by MBTA F40PH-2C 1050

i voted new station, and i believe June 18 or 19 is the last days of operation

by MBTA1

The last run is June 19th at like 12:30 or sumthing. I dont really like the new North Station due to how dank and drafty it is.

by octr202

While the old station is closer to the terminal, its hardly convienent. The narrow stairs and the cramped fare collection area won't be missed. The ease of using the new station is much greater.

Someday, the plans include an underground walkway from the SuperStation to the Commuter Rail terminal/FleetCenter (BOACenter?). That'll be the day when Northside riders have subway access as good as at South or Back Bay...

by caduceus

"Someday" is almost here. As part of extending the track tunnels under Causeway St, they built the pedestrian tunnel. They are currently working on the roof over the passageway on the FleetCenter side. You an actually see down the tunnel from the superstation.

It will probably be available at the same time the El shuts down.

The Superstation tracks are connected as well on the Haymarket side - LRV 3424 is sitting on the upper platform.

by Ron Newman

Yes, but it still doesn't quite get people into the North Station rail terminal building (FleetCenter). You still have to walk outside for a few yards between this new headhouse and the east entrance to the Fleet.

Also, I don't think it will be ready on June 19, but rather some time later this summer or fall.

by CSX Conductor

I still think that the old Nort Station set-up was better when it still had trains terminating and originating at street level as well as trains above for Lechmere service. More frequent service that way, and easier access to Canal street and Causeway street for those getting off at North Station. Since ending the North station ground level service accessing the Green Line has too many stairs.....which is difficult on many passengers (i.e. parents w/ small children or elderly).

by Ron Newman

With that old North Station setup, you could wait for an inbound train on the surface, or you could wait for one on the el, but there was no way to wait for both at once. So even if service was 'more frequent', it didn't do you much good.

The current setup, with the Green LIne only on the elevated, was always intended to be a temporary measure until the Superstation was ready. They had to demolish the surface stop in order to build the Superstation.

When the Superstation opens, you'll wait on a single platform for the first southbound train that arrives -- whether it's a Green Line train arriving from Lechmere, a Green Line train originating at North Station, or an Orange Line train. That's a LOT more convenient than the present setup or any past setup.

The Superstation will be fully accessible, with escalators and elevators.

by efin98

The new setup is more convenient for crowds than either the old surface station or the el, pure and simple. Not having to cross Causway Street is the single greatest benefit of the new station. The fact that crowds are off Causeway Street and thus not congesting traffic and are not going to get injured darting across the street to get to and from North Station is well worth it. Also, I wouldn't mind if there was a seperate terminal station and run through station as long as I don't have to cross Causeway Street.

by CSX Conductor

Ron, I agree that it may not seem more frequent if half of the trains were upstairs and the others downstairs..............but back then I used to go half-way up the stairs if there was no car in the lower level and then just run for whichever one arrived first. I'll admit that this didn't happen every time, but most times I did make the first one.

by CRail

you never had to cross causway street (unless you come in on the orange line)

by Ron Newman

Until a few years ago you always had to cross Causeway Street.

The current Green Line station turnstile entrance, stairways, and elevator are all temporary. They were built when the surface station closed a few years ago. Before that, you entered North Station by paying a fare at turnstiles on Canal Street, and then had one of these three choices:

- go downstairs for the Orange Line
- wait on the surface level for an inbound Green Line car
- go upstairs and take a long walk to the elevated Green Line

The stairway you took to the elevated Green Line had a lot of closed-off sections that used to go to the former elevated Orange Line platforms. (Those closed in 1975.)

Where the current temporary Green Line turnstile entrance is, there was an exit-only turnstile leading to a stairway within the old Boston Garden building which let you out on the north side of Causeway Street.