• Noise Complaints about New York and Atlantic Railway

• Discussion related to NYAR operations on Long Island. Official web site can be found here: www.anacostia.com/nyar/nyar.html. Also includes discussion related to NYNJ Rail, the carfloat operation successor to New York Cross Harbor that connects with NYAR.
Discussion related to NYAR operations on Long Island. Official web site can be found here: www.anacostia.com/nyar/nyar.html. Also includes discussion related to NYNJ Rail, the carfloat operation successor to New York Cross Harbor that connects with NYAR.

by jayrmli

Federal Law stipulates how the horn is to be blown at railroad crossings. Two longs, one short and a long, the final blast to be sounded while the engine crosses the crossing.

Jay

by mainline

You have to follow the regs regarding the sounding of the horns. God forbid you hit one of these clowns. A natural barrier would not do the trick. It would take to long to create a natural barrier. These residents want you guys out of Fresh Pond. They'll have to live with it or move.
  by BMT

I heard you guys blasting the horn coming down the Bay Ridge over near Albany Ave. yesterday morning, but you don't hear me complaining about it. I realize that a person was most likely on the ROW and you were doing proper procedure.

by JoeLIRR

as far as i know, it is a FRA regulation that you sound the required (2 longs 1 short and 1 long.)

if any one knows diffrent please let me know

by b&p rupture

jayrmli wrote:Federal Law stipulates how the horn is to be blown at railroad crossings. Two longs, one short and a long, the final blast to be sounded while the engine crosses the crossing.

Jay
As a warning this seems kind of late, the train would've already hit anything in the crossing.

by DutchRailnut

only if you missed the first 3 toots.

by Lupo 10

Just my two cents here.

I work in customer service for a telecommunications company. There are a lot of times that I have to tell my customers that "This is the way it is and that's all that's to it". Of course its all in the delivery. I don't tell them in that way. I use a calm approach and symphathise with them. The only thing the NYA can do in this situation is turn the sympathetic ear to them, display outstanding resolve (as Mr. Krebs seemed to do) and try its best to keep attending any future meetings, keep smiling and keep Santa coming for the neigborhood kids.

Sometimes people just like to hear themselves yell. But I think that both sides know nothing can really change. Its unfortunate that the neigbors hear noise and unfortunate that the NYA has to be ripped apart by its neigbors. But the NYA is taking the high road here. Attend the meetings, smile, wave and hope for the best.

by Scrap em All

Just to put my 2 cents in, I'm an NYA engr., and I have been hassled by obnoxious neighbors and even have had rocks thrown at my engine @ 2a.m. by some maniac running out of his house in his pajamas! I say
#*^% em all! You should have expected noise if you moved to a location by a active rail yard. There is nothing more satysfing than winding up 2 sd40s at 6 a.m. in someones back yard. Sounds like a damn 747 engine on takeoff. :D

by SeldenJrFireman

Scrap,
Carry one of those 3+ million candle power spotlights and when you see someone running towards the tracks, light them up. It would probably be good if you had a camera to take a picture of the fool so the 5-0 can find them in the morning.
  by b&p rupture

Scrap em All wrote:Just to put my 2 cents in, I'm an NYA engr., and I have been hassled by obnoxious neighbors and even have had rocks thrown at my engine @ 2a.m. by some maniac running out of his house in his pajamas! I say
#*^% em all! You should have expected noise if you moved to a location by a active rail yard.
There is nothing more satysfing than winding up 2 sd40s at 6 a.m. in someones back yard. Sounds like a damn 747 engine on takeoff. :D
Was at Metro Mall today and they're building new 3 fam houses adjacent to the ROW. Will the buyers realize they're in the RR's backyard, and not the other way around? :P

by bingdude

There is something NYA could try...active noise cancellation.

You hang speakers on the sides of the locos and they get fed the prime mover's sound picked up by a mic, but out of phase so the real noise outside is reduced. It does work, although the "quiet area" is limited. Nothing's gonna reduce the idling sound at a distance of more than 100 yards.

And when some jerk runs around the gates, the engineer can grab that mic and yell: "@$$#!!!&*! :-D

by jayrmli

What NYAR should do is form their own NIMBY campaign against the new housing being built near the tracks. That land's in the railroad's backyard, isn't it?

NYAR could tout such things as additional potential trespassers on their property, less land for additional yard space, unsightly views of neighbors at night forgetting to draw their blinds (this one happens more often than you might think! We see you out there, and it usually isn't pretty!) and more potential vandals and crybabies within walking distance of the property.

Beat the NIMBY's at their own game! Today's neighbor is tomorrow's NIMBY.

Please, NYAR, for your own good, become a BANANA now!

Jay

by Gruntled

BANANA?

by JoeLIRR

"BANNA"Build Absolutly Nothing Near Anybody

its BANNA not (but may be pronounced as) BANANA.

by b&p rupture

Actually, it IS BANANA, or

Build Absolutley Nothing Anywhere Near Anybody
(or alternatively, Anything.)