• No more charter trains

• Discussion related to Amtrak also known as the National Railroad Passenger Corp.
Discussion related to Amtrak also known as the National Railroad Passenger Corp.

Moderators: GirlOnTheTrain, mtuandrew, Tadman

by Jeff Smith

I know everyone has an opinion on this. For now, I reserve mine.

https://www.facebook.com/luxurylandcruising/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

https://www.change.org/p/amtrak-rescind ... -movements" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
  by Gilbert B Norman

http://facebook.com/luxurylandcruising/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Fair Use:
My heart is heavy, my dream is dying. AMTRAK IS PUTTING US OUT OF BUSINESS
All I can note to this Private Car owner is "live with it". Of course your car is roadworthy, you would never tender it to Amtrak if it were otherwise. Of course you've trained your on-board staff in all pertinent areas of railroad safety, who says other operators have done same?

Funny how indemnity has its way of sinking all to the lowest common denominator. Funny how I'm certain the vast majority here have driven for many years without having a motor vehicle collision incident charged against them, yet save some penny-ante premium "discount" thrown their way, must pay for the kid strung out on who knows what (or the Senior who "forgets" that the accelerator and brake are two separate pedals) and whose actions results in fatalities. That's how it works, volks.

For incidents occurring without regard to fault, Amtrak is liable. This is the case whether the incident occurred at Frankford Jct, DuPont, or Kayce. All involved fatalities and represent, total, partial, and none whatever Amtrak negligence.

So "Dearing" owners, I know it is difficult to look at this development as independently as I (for whom, chartering a PV is not on my "bucket list"), but it appears you are without alternatives.
  by Tadman

This highlights a bigger issue - any business lives at the whim of the ecosystem surrounding it. This particular issue was a bit unforeseen but is certainly a risk a business has to live with. Imagine this alternative if you will: gas prices triple and although Amtrak would be willing to keep operating specials and PV's, the price is prohibitive. Same result.

I feed bad for the Dearing owners because they appear to have put their life savings in the car. Clearly they love what they do and are probably not minting money off the operation. On the other hand, I bet their financial advisers were against the move, as it puts all eggs in one basket and that is not known to be best practice with retirement funds.

I think we haven't heard the end of this yet.
  by blockline4180

Its not all doom and gloom per Luxury Rail travel.
You can still take PV trips as some say the ruling will not affect them... I plan on riding in the fall to show some support.
https://m.facebook.com/LuxuryRailTravel ... ment_reply
  by Jeff Smith

That's harsh.

WV trip to be exempted: http://www.herald-dispatch.com/_recent_ ... 2c7f0.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
HUNTINGTON — Amtrak is committed to working to preserve the New River Train, according to West Virginia leaders.

U.S. Rep. Evan Jenkins, R-W.Va., and Mike Hall, Gov. Jim Justice's chief of staff, spoke with Amtrak President and Co-CEO Richard Anderson on Wednesday afternoon about the importance of preserving the New River Train, according to a news release from Jenkins' office.

Amtrak announced at the end of March that it would be ending charter and special service trains, putting West Virginia traditions like the New River Train and Hinton Railroad Days in jeopardy.

"I am very encouraged after our call with Richard Anderson that we have a commitment to resolving issues with the New River Train," Jenkins said in the release. "Amtrak recognizes the importance and more than half-century tradition of the New River Train and the Hinton Railroad Days. Amtrak is willing to make some limited exemptions to its ban on charter trains, and after our call, I feel confident we will be granted this exemption. As Gov. Justice launches a new tourism campaign for the great state of West Virginia, the New River Train will remain one of West Virginia's premier tourist attractions."
  by Gilbert B Norman

How unconditional is this edict?

"Yerba Buena" is on the rear of 5 (13).
  by bretton88

Not unconditional, Amtrak will still haul PVs if they start/end at stations with greater than 30 minute layover or endpoints. So it just severely limits the number of starting and end points that PVs can do.
  by Rockingham Racer

Are you sure about that? I thought the policy was that end-to-end was okay. It was adding and dropping en route that required a station stop of 30 or more minutes.
  by Backshophoss

Crew changes where fueling and watering are done tend to 45 mins long,should be OK for PV switching. :wink:
  by SouthernRailway

I'm not clear on why Class Is and commuter lines can't just pair up and offer to run a locomotive from Point A to Point B (wherever private car owners want) and attach private cars to it. E.g., if a private car owner wants to go from NY Penn to Birmingham, couldn't NJ Transit/MARC/Norfolk Southern haul it?
  by DutchRailnut

could ,,, yes
would,,, maybe
willingly ,, no
  by SouthernRailway

Even if the Class Is and commuter RRs are paid enough to make it worthwhile?

I know how it is to take on small projects at work for small amounts of pay--usually not worthwhile-- but couldn't the Class Is and commuter RRs work out something with a group of private car owners- maybe charge an up-front fee and then have some pre-set arrangements for private car transportation, and charge a premium for it?
  by Railjunkie

Just pulled two off the rear of 48 today that makes 4 in Albany now. I was talking to one of the owners and he just bought 4 more cars. He didnt seem worried about this edict from Mr Anderson. Felt it would disappear in a short matter of time.