• NJT Work train on NJCL in late June

• Discussion related to New Jersey Transit rail and light rail operations.
Discussion related to New Jersey Transit rail and light rail operations.

Moderators: lensovet, Kaback9, nick11a

by OCtrainguy

This is one of those "I should've asked when I saw it" questions, but I am asking it now.

On June 22nd, while hoping to see the SA31 head towards Red Bank, I saw a NJT work train returning to Red Bank. The train was being pushed by one of NJT's switchers (have to get the number from my photo). The middle car was a flat car with something on it. Leading the train, was a silver car that looked like it could be a converted baggage car. Does anyone know what this car is? Any history on it?

About five to ten minutes later, NJT's yellow MOW engine rolled by. It kind of reminds me of an ALP44. What is this engine called? I forget.

I would guess that the work they were doing was somewhere between South Amboy and Middletown as the SA31 did not on the NJCL that afternoon. Any information would be appreciated.

by nolifeCRchaser

I might be wrong(and I usually am), but I think the yellow track machine is the TGIV(?). There used to be one sitting behind the derail on the Third Track at CP CROXTON, not sure if you saw it when it was there. It can be found in Southern Yard with the rest of the maintenance equipment you saw. I used to see all of that stuff when I used drive to work in Red Bank. I also watched one of those TGIV cars burn on the bridge over the Navesink River and now I think it is still covered under a tarp in Southern Yard.

by NY&LB

OC: I was listening to them on the scnner that day and they referred to the train as "the wire train" so I suspect hey we doing some work on the catenary somewhere, I believe the flat car has a raisable platform to allow them towork on the lines, both the flat car and the stainless steel car are usually in the Red Bank yard, and nolife is correct, unser the blue tarp in the Red Bank yard is the burnt remains of the track geometry car, don't know why it has sat there soo long...guess they don't know what to do with it!!!

BTW, the NJT yellow self propelled car (or whatever it is) and a Sperry Rail Car were in the RB yard last friday.

by OCtrainguy

I remember hearing about the TGIV vehicle burning on the bridge. The switcher was 501. There were acutally four cars. There was a flatcar with coils of wire, another flatcar with a hydraulic platform and the coach. Here are the two photos.

http://community.webshots.com/photo/485 ... 3251Wjmacc

http://community.webshots.com/photo/485 ... 3951QLqGrf

Last edited by OCtrainguy on Mon Nov 01, 2004 3:13 pm, edited 2 times in total.

by nick11a

^Cool photos at Red Bank! Thanks for potsing them.

by TAMR213

Very cool photos! I've never seen or even hear about that yellow thing! What is that?!

by DutchRailnut

A Plasser American Catenary Maintenance vehicle.
the other picture is wire train.

by TAMR213

I knew about the wire train. Just not the yellow thing.

by sullivan1985

I have never seen that baggage car looking car outside of Hoboken Yard. I would always see it hooked up with those other cars sitting on the north side of the yard. This picture is the first time i ever saw it outside of East End Interlock.

by james1787

This set or a similar set used to sit at Summit train station on the M & E branch. It sat on the elevated siding for the longest time (I haven't seen it in a while tho). There is a graffitti'd Plasser American Catenary Maintenance Vehicle that sits on the Gladstone Branch on a siding between Summit and New Providence. It's still there and I see it just about every day.

by Sirsonic

That is the Red Bank wire train. It has a spool car, tower car, and tool car, in that order in the picture, from the engine. It is used for large catenary projects, and when new wire needs to be installed, or old wire replaced.

The yellow car is the Electric Traction Inspection and Repair Vehicle, or Catenary Car. This also stays in Red Bank, and is used for smaller projects, and routine maintenance.

There is another wire train, usually in Summit, but being used in Hoboekn currently.

There is also another Catenary Car, stored west of Summit at Nicholas siding on the Gladstone Line. The siding is named for catenary foreman Nicholas, who also operates the Hoboken Catenary Car.

by nick11a

Sirsonic wrote:There is also another Catenary Car, stored west of Summit at Nicholas siding on the Gladstone Line. The siding is named for catenary foreman Nicholas, who also operates the Hoboken Catenary Car.
No, that's MY siding. :P

by Jihn z

I have pictures of the "other" wire train in Dover last year sometime, it was a neat operation... IIRC the train was being pulled by one of the MOW GP-40s.... I also recall the engineer laying back in his seat asleep waiting to move while the work went on.[/img]

by Sirsonic

The engineer was not sleeping, he was actually checking his eyelids for light leaks.....

Working the wire train can get quite boring when the crew has to fabricate a complicated part, like a section break. You wind up sitting in one spot for 8-10 hours.

by Sirsonic

Ooops, there is no a in Nichols. I thought it looked wrong. Its pronounced nickels.