• NJT "FIRST CLASS" Service

• Discussion related to New Jersey Transit rail and light rail operations.
Discussion related to New Jersey Transit rail and light rail operations.

Moderators: lensovet, Kaback9, nick11a

by electrokeystone

sorry to be the pessimist but,

Snack Cars won't work...firstly it is a bad business plan....whoever the vendor is would have to supply a high cashier(personnel) to inventory ratio...since each trip out would need inventory plus a cashier...even if snack service was placed on the long haul express trains it is still high there are an awful lot of trip out of penn (relative to Amtrak)...plus there is competition from the vendors at penn station...so you know what that means...high prices to cover the cost or operate at a loss

(i enjoy my customary Hebrew national and lays with a pepsi out of tradition on Amtrak...it isn’t cheap)

secondly, have you seen how clean NJT keeps its railcars...and this is MINUS on-board foodservice..say hello to more sticky floors...foodservice would increase maintenance costs

thirdly, anyone who has ever taken the clocker knows how much better snack car floor space works for STANDEES - rest assured the same would be true on NJT...

Lastly, bar cars will never work on NJT...the practice is a vestige of a less litigious and more responsible period...NJT Legal would lose about an hour's worth of sleep each night knowing that it has inaugurated serving alcohol to commuters, some of whom will be discharged to park and ride facilities.

My idea of a luxury car:......no cell phones, low humidity air conditioning (nix the V's), PA's that work, vestibule doors that close, smooth wheels, no vinyl smells, wall panels that stay closed, and seats with plastic inserts to thwart the "nervous knees" of the person sitting behind me.

by Irish Chieftain

Metro-North is still doing snack cars on the New Haven Line. Can't be that much of a problem. Once a railroad takes them out, it's like pulling teeth to get them back on the rails.