• NJT Photography?

• Discussion related to New Jersey Transit rail and light rail operations.
Discussion related to New Jersey Transit rail and light rail operations.

Moderators: lensovet, Kaback9, nick11a

by Don31

Its been a while since I've ventured trackside with my cameras. How has it been out there lately? Do the cops still hassle photographers? Does NJT still require that permit?

Any thoughts/insight would be appreciated.

by Lackawanna484

The attorney general of NJ ordered NJT to cease its policy of harassing photographers on public property who are taking pix of NJT trains. He also ordered NJT to rewrite its policy on prohibiting pix ON the property.

Not all NJT cops have gotten the order, though. There have been reports of officers on the River LINE harassing photogs. Note that Port Authority has its own rules for photography (none on PA property) which remain in force.

by BigDell

Have had NO problems on Raritan Valley line or with ex-Conrail sites such as Potter's...
BigDell

(famous last words?)

by JLo

Harry Blaze is still carrying the torch on the issue and notes that NJT is still requiring permits.

http://www.nj.com/columns/times/blaze/i ... 237153.xml

by sullivan1985

I've been snapping pretty much hassel free at Rutherford and the Ruthefrod area (kingsland, lyndhurst, wood ridge, garfield, etc...)

took tons of photos of trains and MOW equiptment when the grade crossing on park ave was being replaced and the workers only said "You like trains?".
Last edited by sullivan1985 on Fri Oct 29, 2004 3:58 pm, edited 2 times in total.

by njtmnrrbuff

This whole railfan heckling business is calming down. In fact, the last time I railfanned on transit was all the way out to High Bridge. I got a lot of good shots and no one gave me a hard time. In fact, the portion of the RVL was my last remaining mileage I had to complete for riding the entire transit. Also, I had a set of nearly solid twos with two fives trailing powered by a CAT.When I come home for thanksgiving break, I will be railfanning on transit, either out to Dover on the WORM in both directions, but not too far because it looks like I will have some tests to study for over Thanksgiving break. I will also probaly photograph at various places in Montclair, maybe, even take a bus ride to Little Falls. Transit seems to be getting the message back. Remember, even though they might make their stations private property, stations to me are not private property at all. The tracks, and yards are true private property. By spending less time heckling law abiding people enjoying their hobby, NJT can now crack down on real tresspassers, and some of the rude people during rush hour and at all times.

by Ken W2KB

Stations are legally private propertuy the same as yards. Transit merely grants a blanket license to all persons to enter station property for purposes directly related to riding the trains, e.g., a passenger or someone dropping off or meeting a passenger. Any other activity can be reasonably restricted by NJT as the property owner. As pointed out elsewhere, Transit has no jurisdiction beyond its own property such as on public streets, etc.

So, for example, if one photographs the lightrail from the regular sidewalk, that's cool, if you do it from the lightrail platform, that's a violation.

by JLo

So, for example, if one photographs the lightrail from the regular sidewalk, that's cool, if you do it from the lightrail platform, that's a violation.
Ironically, this very comparison also demonstrates the utter lack of reasonableness of NJT's rules to begin with..., but I digress.

by Don31

Thanks for the responses everyone! :-)

by nick11a

I did have a problem about two weeks ago. At New Brunswick, a garbage man who works for the New Brunswick Parking Authority (who operates the station) said I'm not aloud to take pictures here. He said it was illegal. I nicely told him he was wrong and stood my ground. He then said he didn't want to call the cops on me. I just told him "Sorry man, it;s not illegal." He gave me a funny look and left. I stood around for a few more minutes getting a few shots more and then I made a quick and silent retreat in case the garbage man decided to carry out his threat (which I doubt he ever did.)

It is most aggravating indeed to be hassled and to be told I am engaging in illegal activities. Just because I have a camera and am a college student going to Rutgers, that doesn't make me a person engaging in illegal activities.

But I must admit, the hype about all this has gone down big time which I am happy to see.

by njtmnrrbuff

There is nothing wrong with taking pictures of trains at all. If I was ever hassled, I would really be irked. Over at Mercy College in Dobbs Ferry, only steps away from the Hudson Division at Ardsley on Hudson, no one ever gives me a hard time. Actually, this applies to all of MN's operations east of hudson. In fact, on sunday, I am planning to take a spin somewhere, probaly on the Upper Harlem, or up to Poughkeepsie. I would like to find the cab units before they retire. MN is a railfan friendly operation. NJT just needs to buckle down a little. They are getting better. That garbage man crossed the line when he said that comment. NJT will probaly see me and my camera a lot over my winter break, as well as thanksgiving break on the WORM.

by nick11a

NJT is, for the most part (that is some engineers and some conductors) a railfan friendly operation. They aren't usually the ones giving problems. Its the cops and the garbage men. They're the real culprits.

by njtmnrrbuff

Yes., Pretty much, they know the difference between a railfan and a real criminal. Now, transit should really think about running a railfan excursion, on rare trackage. Maybe out to the Lehigh region or even out to Port Jervis, or Warwick, NY. Before you know it, there might be another try transit festival.

by nick11a

njt/mnrrbuff wrote:Yes., Pretty much, they know the difference between a railfan and a real criminal. Now, transit should really think about running a railfan excursion, on rare trackage. Maybe out to the Lehigh region or even out to Port Jervis, or Warwick, NY. Before you know it, there might be another try transit festival.
That would make me very happy- but, I'm not holding my breath. If we're lucky, we'll have another Hoboken Festival in 2007 but as for the special Railfan Excursions, we'll likely see the day when all the Comet V warranty repairs have been completed before that happens. :-D