• NJT Current Roster

• Discussion related to New Jersey Transit rail and light rail operations.
Discussion related to New Jersey Transit rail and light rail operations.

Moderators: lensovet, Kaback9, nick11a

by waldwickrailfan

beanbag wrote:
R36 Combine Coach wrote:*4139 is active, but non-revenue only.

I wonder would 502 still be "officially" active?
Wondering if its in one piece in 502s case would be more like it. Waldwick wouldnt it be easier to just put down all the numbers of the 45s instead of as they come in?
502 is not "officially" active. 4139 is still active, even if it's non-revenue only. If I were to take out the 4139, I would have to take out all the MP20B-3's. Also I just do it this way beanbag. I will do this list as on the roster and currently on property. That's just how I do things, nothing against anybody.
  by ACeInTheHole

waldwickrailfan wrote:
beanbag wrote:

Wondering if its in one piece in 502s case would be more like it. Waldwick wouldnt it be easier to just put down all the numbers of the 45s instead of as they come in?
502 is not "officially" active. 4139 is still active, even if it's non-revenue only. If I were to take out the 4139, I would have to take out all the MP20B-3's. Also I just do it this way beanbag. I will do this list as on the roster and currently on property. That's just how I do things, nothing against anybody.
Oh completely understood waldwick I was not asking with intention to criticize your method in any way, I was merely curious thats all.
  by ryanov

One way I've seen this done on an airliner site is to say what has changed above and then list a full roster.
  by waldwickrailfan

beanbag wrote:
waldwickrailfan wrote:
beanbag wrote:

Oh completely understood waldwick I was not asking with intention to criticize your method in any way, I was merely curious thats all.
Ok. Completely understood. I get curious from time to time to.
  by R36 Combine Coach

4300-03 are also active "non-revenue".
  by waldwickrailfan

MP20B-3: 1001-1005
Arrow III (single): 1304-1333
Arrow III (Married) 1334-1533
PL42AC: 4000-4032
GP40PH-2: 4100-4112
F40PH-2CAT: 4113, 4114, 4119-4122, 4124, 4126, 4128, 4129
GP40FH-2: 4139
GP40PH-2A: 4145-4147, 4149, 4150
GP40PH-2B: 4200-4219
GP40-2: 4300-4303
ALP45DP: 4500-4512
ALP46: 4600-4628
ALP46A: 4629-4664
P40DC: 4800-4803
  by R36 Combine Coach

With just 4139 left, the era of GP40FH units in scheduled (revenue) passenger service is bascially over, lasting almost 25 years since the first units were delivered from MK (Boise) in December 1987. Of course, this excludes MNCR's rebuilt units.
  by waldwickrailfan

R36 Combine Coach wrote:With just 4139 left, the era of GP40FH units in scheduled (revenue) passenger service is bascially over, lasting almost 25 years since the first units were delivered from MK (Boise) in December 1987. Of course, this excludes MNCR's rebuilt units.
4139 is only used for M.O.W. i'm assuming 4138 and 4141 are dead because they are in the MMC
  by blockline4180

waldwickrailfan wrote:
R36 Combine Coach wrote:With just 4139 left, the era of GP40FH units in scheduled (revenue) passenger service is bascially over, lasting almost 25 years since the first units were delivered from MK (Boise) in December 1987. Of course, this excludes MNCR's rebuilt units.
4139 is only used for M.O.W. i'm assuming 4138 and 4141 are dead because they are in the MMC
Well according to our good buddy JTGSHU, you may have assumed right, but some of us would like to get a final word from cruiser whether this is true or not!!

And if it is true, are the NJT F40's next to be "dead-lined"???
  by Ken S.

blockline4180 wrote:
waldwickrailfan wrote:
Well according to our good buddy JTGSHU, you may have assumed right, but some of us would like to get a final word from cruiser whether this is true or not!!

And if it is true, are the NJT F40's next to be "dead-lined"???
I would think that the 2As or the ex-CNJ Geeps would be retired next.
  by R36 Combine Coach

When the PL42s were delivered in 2005-06, they were originally intended to replace all GP40FHs (15), with the 13 CNJ units. Only six years later have the last FH units been removed from passenger service. Why so long?
  by Jtgshu

R36 Combine Coach wrote:When the PL42s were delivered in 2005-06, they were originally intended to replace all GP40FHs (15), with the 13 CNJ units. Only six years later have the last FH units been removed from passenger service. Why so long?

Mainly an increase in ridership over that time, meaning more trains.

The PLs did replace some FHs, as well as some F40s, as they are up in Canada still on lease to AMT - thats 7 locos right there. Also, the 5 FHs that were pulled from service and rebuilt into the MP20 switchers.

However, don't forget that the P40s have been added to the fleet, and while they were mainly used for ACES, they have and still do work sometimes on revenue trains.

I think they hung on for so long simply because they worked. Also, it was a kind of cushion with the Geep fleet - if a Geep needed to be used for work service, an FH could step in. The PLs and P40s are used for the ML trains, and while they do power the Comet sets, they HAVE to power the ML sets, and sometimes PLs can be in short supply.

I would think that some of the CNJ geeps would be pulled from service next, and have work done to them to make them into work engines. Its been mentioned on here a few times that NJT might do some kind of work to the CNJ Geeps and use them for work train service. Im assuming mods would be removing HEP motor, and putting on actual switching steps on the rear. Hopefully that happens, because they would be great work engines, it would be even better if they were re-geared like a freight loco and not a passenger loco....might be able to be rated for more than 10 loaded stone hoppers per diesel.......

Of course, if any other diesel has a major or catastrophic failure in whatever series, that might be yanked from service for a while or permanently
  by airman00

Not to stray off topic, but Geeps can't power multilevel cars?
  by Jtgshu

airman00 wrote:Not to stray off topic, but Geeps can't power multilevel cars?
They can, but NJT doesn't like to use them with them.

Here's proof that they can work with MLs, Id assume they would just be a smidge slower, although with 5 cars, Id bet they would perform similar to a PL with 6 or 7 MLs..

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UCcUc2GLZWI

And look, its our old friend the 4137!
  by sixty-six

I've posted the pic on here before, but I had the unpleasant experience of having an F40 with 6MLs on an X train to Suffern a few years ago. We barely got over 35mph west of Ridgewood.