• NJT Conductors concerned about security

• Discussion related to New Jersey Transit rail and light rail operations.
Discussion related to New Jersey Transit rail and light rail operations.

Moderators: lensovet, Kaback9, nick11a

by Lackawanna484

NJT had a short article today about the difficulties NJT has had in its attempts to make conductors aware of security issues without alarming families or creating undue stress. Apparently, they're trying to alert people without raising unnecessary fears. The agency says there's insufficient time to run classes, etc.

One thing that surprised me was mailing videos to the employee's home. When we have security or business practice metings for rank and file employees, they're paid for the time. We don't expect them to take the stuff home and read it on their own time.

http://www.nytimes.com/2004/08/07/nyreg ... ctors.html

by Jtgshu

They've sent these "informative" videos out about a few other things, including the opening of SEC, including how to cut fares and how the station works.

They do this to prevent having to pay the extra hour time for training or loosing the crews and personnel to go to a class.

They had terrorism training last year, not everyone (most people didn't) got it, and it just ended for no reason. Those who got it, got a gas mask and an hours pay. those who didn't, didn't get anything. Its not like they didn't know the convention was coming.

That artcile hit the nail right on the head. They want us to and expect us to do the job of a counterterrorism expert, crowd control, bomb identifyer, customer service agents. DON'T DELAY THE TRAINS FOR EVERY PACKAGE OR ITEM LEFT, BUT DON'T SCREW UP OR YOU'RE DEAD AND COUNTLESS OTHER PEOPLE ARE TOO.......

I am quite nervous about working during the convention, but after the NYP evacuation last night, I don't have much confidence in amtrak PD and station personnel either.........Im not going to go into that, but if you were in NYP during evening rush last night you know what happened.....

This is just another instance as to how the front line employees are often second thoughts by the company. We are the last to know the most important info, and not just in regard to these security precautions. I don't expect to be told everything and of course much of the info will be kept underwraps, but still, throw me a bone instead of a DVD (no VHS, only DVD) and a 15 page "NYP evacuation instructions".

I bet Penn Plaza is secured tight as a button........

by mb

I just went to a 2½-hr Terrorist Awareness Class in NYP yesterday. Pretty informative, yet boring and we had to watch the DVD again. There were no talks of evacuations.

by Olton Hall

Jtgshu wrote:I bet Penn Plaza is secured tight as a button........
It always has been, long before 9-11 too. You'd think they were keeping big secrets or something in there.

by Uzi-Cat

I was one of those conductors who never received the terrorist training or gas mask. I did receive the DVD about national security but I don't have a DVD player. Transit makes everybody aware of the TIPS hotline to report suspicious packages but when you actually report a suspicious packagte you catch all kinds of hell for delaying the train. If something is going to happen, it will. I hope I am not there for it but I have a sinking feeling. Oh well, transit strikes again.

scott

by arrow

I was on an NJCL train a few days ago and the conductor made an announcement telling everyone if they witness suspicious activity to call the 888-TIPS-NJT number (he said 800-TIPS-NJT though, wonder if that would make a difference??). This was the first time I had heard this on a train. I think they should make more of these announcements.

I have also heard an automated announcement playing at several stations telling people about this number too. ("Stop. Look. Listen...").

by nick11a

arrow wrote:I was on an NJCL train a few days ago and the conductor made an announcement telling everyone if they witness suspicious activity to call the 888-TIPS-NJT number (he said 800-TIPS-NJT though, wonder if that would make a difference??). This was the first time I had heard this on a train. I think they should make more of these announcements.

I have also heard an automated announcement playing at several stations telling people about this number too. ("Stop. Look. Listen...").
There's this lady who's annoucnement gets repeated like every 20 minutes. You can hear it at virtually any station. And the announcement always seems to come on jsut as I am getting ready to shoot a shot.

by mb

We are required to make that announcement prior to leaving NYP, Trenton, Long Branch, Hoboken, Port Jervis and all the other terminals and at certain intermidiate stops. It clearly is not practiced by everyone.

by nick11a

mb wrote:We are required to make that announcement prior to leaving NYP, Trenton, Long Branch, Hoboken, Port Jervis and all the other terminals and at certain intermidiate stops. It clearly is not practiced by everyone.
Wow, didn't know it was required.

by ryanov

I heard it one day last week, either on 3977 or 3963 leaving Newark -- can't remember which... it was only really the second time I heard it though.