• NJT and Philadelphia

• Discussion related to New Jersey Transit rail and light rail operations.
Discussion related to New Jersey Transit rail and light rail operations.

Moderators: lensovet, Kaback9, nick11a

by ewonder

Are there other routes that could be served by NJT out of Philadelphia's 30th Street Station? The South Jersey area continues to boom. Traffic at rush hour is horrific in and out of Philadelphia. Are there any ROW's that could be activated for commuter service?

by jdelgrosso

Nope. The only line in south Jersey by NJT is the ACL. The only thing on the way is NJT taking over the clocker. But thats it.

Personally, I feel there needs to be a line between Atlantic City and Bay head. I know it is impossible for it too be direct, but it is possible through egg harbor city.

by zakharin

What about the River LINE?

by jdelgrosso

zakharin wrote:What about the River LINE?
The River LINE does not depart out of Philadelphia 30th street station. The RiverLINE departs from Camden. Also, it's light rail.

by zakharin

Yes, and I'm replying to the statement in your previous post:
The only line in south Jersey by NJT is the ACL.

by DutchRailnut

since this is heavy rail forum the statement still holds true. the riverline is in NJT light rail forum :-)

by jdelgrosso

DutchRailnut wrote:since this is heavy rail forum the statement still holds true. the riverline is in NJT light rail forum :-)
He's right you know.

But yeah, We aren't gonna see anymore rail lines in south jersey for a very long time.

by Lucius Kwok

There's also PATCO from Center City to Lindenwold. There were plans to expand service to the north of Camden, but after the RiverLINE, I don't know the status of that plan.

As someone said on the other ACL thread, there's also the issue of the Shore interlocking and the fact that the ACL is single track where it splits from the NEC.

by jdelgrosso

Are they ever gonna build a station where the ACL tracks meet the riverLINE tracks? It would really help if they did.
  by nick11a

chuchubob wrote:Probably not. It would make too much sense.
Yes, they are right on top of each other. But you're right Bob, they probably won't build a station there.

And by the way Dutch, really like your avatar.

by matt1168

jdelgrosso wrote:Nope. The only line in south Jersey by NJT is the ACL. The only thing on the way is NJT taking over the clocker. But thats it.

Personally, I feel there needs to be a line between Atlantic City and Bay head. I know it is impossible for it too be direct, but it is possible through egg harbor city.
And I'm sorry to say that the closest we have to that is the slow, drudging, and infrequent #317 bus...

by jdelgrosso

Bus #406 is the only bus that goes to Medford. I think there are about 3 of em all day that leave medford though.