• NJ Transit Police Chief Joseph Bober ousted

• Discussion related to New Jersey Transit rail and light rail operations.
Discussion related to New Jersey Transit rail and light rail operations.

Moderators: lensovet, Kaback9, nick11a

by blockline4180

Bober canned!
by blockline4180 on Thu Feb 26, 2009 11:55 pm

Looks like he was booted on out or forced to resign.

http://www.nj.com/news/index.ssf/2009/0 ... chief.html
  by Franklin Gowen

Best news I've heard all day. Marvellous! A sudden outbreak of common sense, lol. :wink:
  by Kaback9

Franklin Gowen wrote:Best news I've heard all day. Marvellous! A sudden outbreak of common sense, lol. :wink:
I like your thinking!
  by Chessie GM50

And the irony is that while I'm typing this, "get down tonight" is playing over the radio.
  by Don31

Good riddance
  by Otto Vondrak

blockline4180 wrote:Bober canned!
by blockline4180 on Thu Feb 26, 2009 11:55 pm

Looks like he was booted on out or forced to resign.

http://www.nj.com/news/index.ssf/2009/0 ... chief.html
Here is the repaired link:

http://www.nj.com/starledger/stories/in ... xml&coll=1

And the requisite brief summary:
NJ Transit ousts police chief accused in discrimination case
Friday, February 27, 2009
BY JOSH MARGOLIN, Star-Ledger Staff
NJ Transit Police Chief Joseph Bober was ousted yesterday, 24 hours after a Newark jury found he retaliated against a female lieutenant after she complained of sexual discrimination. Agency officials declined to discuss Bober's departure except to confirm that his "employment with NJ Transit ended today," according to spokeswoman Penny Bassett Hackett.
  by SILVERTRAIN

What I don't understand is how he remained in charge until the the first lawsuit was resolved. If a trainman threatens another employee or passenger he will be immediately placed in the streets. This guy somehow slugs another cop in public and keeps his job until the hearing.
  by Idiot Railfan

Watch, he'll get a severance settlement of about $500,000. Or more.

Punches subordinates? The public sector is a wonderful place. You get harass people, assault them, and then spend years haggling over how much money you should get to leave the job.

The State Police should take over the NJT Police, although I think a lot of NJT police would not pass muster with the state police. The underlying problem with these stealth police departments is that there is little accountability. Most people know the name of their local police chief, and you know where to reach the chief. There are just too many layers of law enforcement. Local, county, state, park police, etc. Just look at the Palisades Interstate Park Police. They've got plenty of their own problems. Again, little oversight.

They say Bober's been there for 35 years. Did he start out with one of the railroads?
  by SILVERTRAIN

How his character allowed him to become chief doesn't speak much for whoever hired him. For him to still be in command with so much over his head only says the favors he did for others. Probably bailed out alot of DWI'S with his knowledge of all the chiefs up North.
  by philipmartin

Bober came from the Conrail police. All this animosity to him on this blog surprises me. I haven't had any problems, to speak of, with the Transit police. Were going by what the Newspaper says, which can be misleading, and by what some jury found. Remember the OJ jury? "Frizalone, the first to file a lawsuit, alleged Bober denied her a promotion, criticized her appearance and, at one point told her to "stop being so emotional." That's costing the company two million? How do we know that Bober wasn't right?
  by Jtgshu

philipmartin wrote:Bober came from the Conrail police. All this animosity to him on this blog surprises me. I haven't had any problems, to speak of, with the Transit police. Were going by what the Newspaper says, which can be misleading, and by what some jury found. Remember the OJ jury? "Frizalone, the first to file a lawsuit, alleged Bober denied her a promotion, criticized her appearance and, at one point told her to "stop being so emotional." That's costing the company two million? How do we know that Bober wasn't right?
A lot of the problems that folks here have with him are because of the "trespassing" photography crackdown of a few years ago, and still ruffles feathers to this day.

So what is Rumorpace going to name their RRer bashing column now?
  by philipmartin

Here's a link that tells you a little about Bober. It's got a picture of him in 1983 with a police dog. Put the curser on the image and the caption comes up. I'm not positive he came from Conrail. The ban on photography must have come from people higher up than him.
http://enroute.njtransit.com/corpcomm/n ... ?r=79#view
  by nick11a

Interesting news. Regardless of his guilt or not in these allegations, former Chief Bober has been attracting a lot of negative attention towards New Jersey Transit recently. "Boberwatch" in Railpace, all of the news with these allegations etc. In such a position, negative attention is bad.
  by photorailfan

I'm a little lost on this one???? Negative attenion in what way? Does this mean that the gistapo will be after us railfans for being trackside like with the last ban that took place?