• NJ Rail Carriers

• Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New Jersey
Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New Jersey

Moderator: David

by locomotiveman1225

Anybody know any schedules for this company, or radio frequencies?
  by Kaback9

According to our forum member PVRX1's book North East Railroads: Regional and Short Line Railroads there is no frequency and operations are on an as required basis.

The roster consists of two GE 80 ton switchers #'s 1 and 6, GE 65 ton #2 and a 44 ton # 5.

Hope this helps a little.
  by locomotiveman1225

Then why does Morristown&Erie have a frequency, why does NYS&W have there own frequencies?
  by RS115

It's not that they couldn't have radios - all that requires is a permit and sending some cash to the FCC gets you that. M&E and NYSW use radios as they travel far distances and, in addition to their own purposes, need to communicate with NJT dispatchers for some operations. Apparently NJ Rail doesn't see a need for radios - unusual in this day and age and perhaps not smart - there is no requirement that they use them however. If PVRX says it they don't - they most likely don't. Other possibilities (for them or others you can't find a listing for) include that they use an alternative device such as Nextel or similar walkies that won't show up as licensed to them in a public search or they use something on an industrial radio band that a search in the railroad radio frequency register will not reveal. Finally, the license could be held in the name of a related company for some reason and so even if it's there you wouldn't recognize it.
  by wolfboy8171981

RS115 wrote:It's not that they couldn't have radios - all that requires is a permit and sending some cash to the FCC gets you that. M&E and NYSW use radios as they travel far distances and, in addition to their own purposes, need to communicate with NJT dispatchers for some operations. Apparently NJ Rail doesn't see a need for radios - unusual in this day and age and perhaps not smart - there is no requirement that they use them however. If PVRX says it they don't - they most likely don't. Other possibilities (for them or others you can't find a listing for) include that they use an alternative device such as Nextel or similar walkies that won't show up as licensed to them in a public search or they use something on an industrial radio band that a search in the railroad radio frequency register will not reveal. Finally, the license could be held in the name of a related company for some reason and so even if it's there you wouldn't recognize it.
If you don't actually move cars, you dont need a radio. And trust me if they did have a AAR channel, you wouldnt understand anything unless you took 4 years of Spanish.
  by njt5140

wolfboy8171981 wrote:If you don't actually move cars, you dont need a radio. And trust me if they did have a AAR channel, you wouldnt understand anything unless you took 4 years of Spanish.
"Ras banos yattabannifucci timmity haronji"

Oh wait, that's the North Jersey Crappenberger driver!
  by PVRX1

They really operate within the confines of an industrious complex. They have no FCC issued radio license hence they could use any means of radio or non radio communication. Or, they could use one of an affiliated company, like a trucking company or what have you. Its one of NJ's little noticed operations.

But also to point out Raritan Central had no radio license when they started out. They used a ConRail frequency used by Metuchen crews, for all their operations back then.
  by locomotiveman1225

Well fellas just wanted to let you all know that I have found out the frequency for NJRC. If anyone wants to know it's AAR 34 160.6200MHz. If anyone didn't notice this is CSX's NI dispatch for the River Line, Bogota-Selkirk. As soon as CSX finds out they will put a stop to them using it, and then the hunt begins again. For now I just wanted to thank you all that helped by posting messages. Thanks again!

Joel Podlaski
  by Otto Vondrak

locomotiveman1225 wrote:Well fellas just wanted to let you all know that I have found out the frequency for NJRC. If anyone wants to know it's AAR 34 160.6200MHz. If anyone didn't notice this is CSX's NI dispatch for the River Line, Bogota-Selkirk. As soon as CSX finds out they will put a stop to them using it, and then the hunt begins again. For now I just wanted to thank you all that helped by posting messages. Thanks again!
Did I miss something here?

If their work requires them to talk with CSX NI dispatcher, then there is no reason they cannot talk on that frequency. If their operation is far enough away from the CSX NI base radio, then there's no reason they can't share that frequency as long as they correctly identify each transmission.

My museum upstate has an FCC license for two frequencies. One frequency is shared with an NS yard channel in Buffalo. Vary rarely, when the wind blows just right and the moons are aligned is there any bleed over.
  by wolfboy8171981

Otto Vondrak wrote:Did I miss something here?
They do not talk to CSX NI and in fact they are only 5 miles away from the start of the River Line at CP-1. They are "stealing" the channel. Although the last time i was there, English was not the language being spoken.