• NJ LETP

• General discussion about working in the railroad industry. Industry employers are welcome to post openings here.
General discussion about working in the railroad industry. Industry employers are welcome to post openings here.

Moderator: thebigc

by matawanaberdeen

I applied just to try, but have no illusions of being called. Hey gave it a try. Not sure I could pass all the training, but I'd give it a shot.
  by DieselTech13

Got the letter to test this Monday. Any updated info on what the test covers/what to study? When searching through the forums I can only find stuff that's a few years old.

Thanks!
  by matawanaberdeen

DieselTech13 wrote:Got the letter to test this Monday. Any updated info on what the test covers/what to study? When searching through the forums I can only find stuff that's a few years old.

Thanks!
I'd imagine math, reading/comp, mechanical aptitude and then a personality or psychological test of some kind. Good luck.
  by matawanaberdeen

DieselTech13 wrote:Got the letter to test this Monday. Any updated info on what the test covers/what to study? When searching through the forums I can only find stuff that's a few years old.

Thanks!
So how'd it go and what was the actual testing? How many people are they hiring?
  by Steve F45

hmm, i guess my app was no good.
  by matawanaberdeen

Steve F45 wrote:hmm, i guess my app was no good.
Who knows with that place, they are crazy. No one has any idea why they pick who they do. Its still SNAIL MAIL FOR GOD SAKES! I mean really you still apply by SNAIL MAIL! Who the hell does that in todays age! Come on NJT get with the program, set up online job posting and applying like 99.99999% of the employers in this country have. What an embarrassment.
  by Dos522

I submitted my application to the email address that was mentioned in the job posting on Monster.com
  by EM2000

Well then, it appears NJT is not 99.99999% of the employers out there. Very much like any other RR...
  by matawanaberdeen

EM2000 wrote:Well then, it appears NJT is not 99.99999% of the employers out there. Very much like any other RR...
Every single other railroad, CSX, NS, UP, BNSF, Conrail for god sakes, Amtrak, LIRR, MNCR, SEPTA for God sakes, all have online job posting and applying, NOT Monster which is a joke.
  by EM2000

Obviously, it's the method of applicaton that is holding you back from employment.
  by Steamboat Willie

Matawanaberdeen - You've been posting on this sub-forum for years,which to no avail with employment. After at least a good 7 years, I'm beginning to question whether you may want to seek professional help with resume building, interview skills, or whatever you seem to be lacking. Don't blame all of your short comings with major companies modernizing the way submission of applications go. The industry standard is how they currently do it, and the old practice of handing in your resume to HR or having an "in," is long gone. Nepotism isn't anywhere as intense as it once was and being an equal opportunity employer is something most if not all outfits are striving to be. I'm speaking on behalf of the major roads you mentioned.

[Edit] - Spelling
Last edited by Steamboat Willie on Tue Aug 25, 2015 8:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.
  by matawanaberdeen

Steamboat Willie wrote:Matawanaberdeen - You've been posting on this sub-forum for years,which to no avail with employment. After at least a good 7 years, I'm beginning to question whether you may want to seek professional help with resume building, interview skills, or whatever you seem to be lacking. Don't blame all of your short comings with major companies modernizing the way submission of applications go. The industry standard is how they currently do it, and the old practice of handing in your resume to HR or having an "in," is long gone. Nepotism isn't anywhere as intense as it once was and being an equal opportunity employer is something most if not all outfits are striving to me. I'm speaking on behalf of the major roads you mentioned.
I am not trying anymore. Not having a proper way to post jobs, and have people apply lends itself to all kinds of shenanigans. Don't get upset when I point out the short comings of NJ Transits application system. Its just constructive criticism and its accurate.
  by Steamboat Willie

I am not defending NJT, and agree things are not perfect. But you seem to use things such as this as your crutch. I felt compelled to chime in and make some suggestions. And honestly, I have seen a good handful of rail buffs eventually hire onto the railroad, much to my surprise at times.
  by Steve F45

Dos522 wrote:I submitted my application to the email address that was mentioned in the job posting on Monster.com
that email address is only for that one particular position. There were others that had no link to email that app from which makes no sense what so ever. I'm just annoyed about another position i applied, tested, passed and put on a list only to see the position keep getting reposted and reposted and reposted online non stop for vacancies. What was the point of a list if its just going to be reposted?