• Newark CNJ Terminal To Be Torn Down

• Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New Jersey
Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New Jersey

Moderator: David

by amtrakhogger

The shuttle to E-port was discontinued in 1967 when the Aldene plan
went into effect.

There is a good picture book on the CNJ titled "Jersey City Westbound".
It is full of color pictures taken mostly in the early to mid 1960's. Some
of the book covers the E-port/Newark shuttle.
  by JonnyRay

Has this station building been torn down yet or is it still there?

by Steve F45

If i remember right, its not beeing torn down but to be used as part of the entrance to the new Prudential center (Devils arena).

by JLo

The facade will remain in place on Broad St. and be used as an entrance to the Pru Center. Essentially everything else has been gutted and removed. There were still parts of platforms and ramps until the "Rock" was built. A little OT, but Bon Jovi is scheduled for the first concert to official play at the Rock, Oct. 26th.

by Steve F45

the rock? is that what they nicknamed the new arena?

by Terrapin Station

Across the street from The Rock on opening night. I believe this was the embankment the CNJ trains traveled on to get to the terminal across the street, right?

PIC 1

PIC 2

by Ken W2KB

Terrapin Station wrote:Across the street from The Rock on opening night. I believe this was the embankment the CNJ trains traveled on to get to the terminal across the street, right?

PIC 1

PIC 2
Yes, and the concrete building in the background in PIC2 is the ex-CNJ freight warehouse. Track is still next to it, and probably inside.

by Ken W2KB

Steve F45 wrote:the rock? is that what they nicknamed the new arena?
Yep. Prudential Insurance is the prime sponsor and its Rock of Gibraltar logo is prominently displayed on the building wall.

by Steve F45

whatever happened to them using the cnj building as part of the entrance? It seems to have a decent gap between the rock and the cnj building.

by Ken W2KB

Steve F45 wrote:whatever happened to them using the cnj building as part of the entrance? It seems to have a decent gap between the rock and the cnj building.
The warehouse is not the CNJ building which is (or will be I'm not sure it's open yet) the entrance. It is the facade and hallway of the former passenger terminal that fronts on Broad Street that is/will be one entrance. The warehouse appears to still house some businesses in it and was not intended to be part of the Rock complex, though I have seen proposals that it be torn down. The CNJ right of way and bridge over Amtrak is intended to be converted into a direct, no street crossing, passageway to Penn Station.

by Steve F45

Ken W2KB wrote:
Steve F45 wrote:whatever happened to them using the cnj building as part of the entrance? It seems to have a decent gap between the rock and the cnj building.
The warehouse is not the CNJ building which is (or will be I'm not sure it's open yet) the entrance. It is the facade and hallway of the former passenger terminal that fronts on Broad Street that is/will be one entrance. The warehouse appears to still house some businesses in it and was not intended to be part of the Rock complex, though I have seen proposals that it be torn down. The CNJ right of way and bridge over Amtrak is intended to be converted into a direct, no street crossing, passageway to Penn Station.
ken, thats what i meant the broad street entrance. The warehouse i had read in the record was supposed to be torn down for a possible edison parking lot.

by psct29

I was curious about this myself when I went to Opening night at The Rock. After I left the game, I purposely walked around to the Broad Street side to see how the entrance looked. Well, the facade was the same as it was before the arena was built. Green plywood still covering the entrance and no sign of any work done to re-use it either. I hope that its just a case of it's going to be opened in the next couple of weeks rather than sitting idle. As it stands right now there is no entrance from Broad Street to the arena.

by myfavscr

A couple of weeks back I was doing some construction work in the
Newark Dept. of the Treasury building right next door to the CNJ
terminal building. The building is just a hollow shell,no roof, no rear wall.
There are 2 what look to be ramps, one on each side of the bldg.
I assume where passengers use to walk up to a platform to board trains.
There is also a parking garage pratically on top of it.
Here is what I read about the CNJ buildings future.

Excerpt From The Star Ledger Oct. 24th 2007

A third entrance, Adjmi said, will eventually be added on Broad Street, using the historic New Jersey Central Railroad building.

Adjmi said the plan is to convert that building into a museum for visitors to walk through, but no date has been set on when that will be completed. It will not be ready by the time the arena opens with the Bon Jovi concert tomorrow.

Adjmi said the large gray wall, which is part of a parking deck and overshadows the backside of the Prudential Center, will not be the permanent view from Broad Street. Eventually, he said, retail or office buildings will be constructed in front of the wall.

by NJTRailfan

It would be nice to reconstruct some of the interior as much as possible and to have large black and white pictures similar to that to the old NYP pics hanging inside of the current station to remind people of the glorious structure that once stood. I know there aren't that many photos but I'm sure the Newark Public Library, Newark City Hall, The Archives in DC may have something. I'm sure individual Railfans and even the Star Ledger can look through their archives from back in the day and find something.

Even a large black and white pic of CNJ Budd Cars standing at the platform or a pair of them running to and from the station or accorss the old CNJ Bridge would be better then nothing.
  by Mgoldman

A fascinating subject! Thanks to everyone who has contributed both information, pics and links. I came across
this thread some time ago after doing a bit of research on the CNJ and I was finally able to get to Newark in
March of 2011. I am happy to verify the station, what's left of it, does in fact still exist.

Higher resolution here.

What ever became of plans mentioned to make the station part of a new entrance to the Prudential Center?

/Mitch