• Newark America West Fitchburg

• Guilford Rail System changed its name to Pan Am Railways in 2006. Discussion relating to the current operations of the Boston & Maine, the Maine Central, and the Springfield Terminal railroads (as well as the Delaware & Hudson while it was under Guilford control until 1988). Official site can be found here: PANAMRAILWAYS.COM.
Guilford Rail System changed its name to Pan Am Railways in 2006. Discussion relating to the current operations of the Boston & Maine, the Maine Central, and the Springfield Terminal railroads (as well as the Delaware & Hudson while it was under Guilford control until 1988). Official site can be found here: PANAMRAILWAYS.COM.

Moderator: MEC407

by atholrail

Went and checked on the status of the Newark America spur in West Fitchburg today. The spur is all complete, with only some ballast needed were they put down a new snap panel. They even added a new make shift derail at the top of the hill. Past that there is a switch with both tracks going inside the facility. Still not sure what they are gonna be hauling in/out, but they sure are currently doing a big business with tons of trucks in/out.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
  by tom18287

how old are those tracks? they've seen straighter days.
  by frrc

Newark America's main business is paper recycling from what I read...

JoeF
  by johnhenry

I worked in Fitchburg during the 1990's right across from CPF-FG and that's how I got interested in trains. If memory serves me correct, I found that spur abandoned in the early 90's, then at some time later it was revitalized and definitely had service. But then it was abandoned again and I remember walking part of it about 5 years ago and track was missing, all overgrown, I'm pretty sure the switch was removed, so I figured it was gone for good (I remember coming back from that walk with hundreds of ticks all over my pants!). Now it is being opened again. Amazing! Must be some good traffic potential.
  by Sir Ray

Let's hope the siding stays in use this time, as according to johnhenry this rehab/reuse (and then shut-down) story has happened before.
It seems all that "unrecycled" paper litter makes the siding look in worse shape than it really is.
  by jaymac

atholrail-
Had signal equipment for the turnout been installed? The turnout will probably be spiked normal until that's done, or D-3's job will get even more complicated.
  by MBTA F40PH-2C 1050

jaymac wrote:atholrail-
Had signal equipment for the turnout been installed? The turnout will probably be spiked normal until that's done, or D-3's job will get even more complicated.
Most likely will be an electric lock switch if indeed is connected to the mainline...I'm not qualified on this territory
  by newpylong

jaymac wrote:atholrail-
Gonna be a hand throw.
  by jaymac

That had been posted earlier. I was just wondering if circuit protection was in place yet or if they're waiting for new rail to go down.
  by newpylong

It has to be for the switch to be operational in CTC. Of course it might not be in service yet as you said.
  by atholrail

Swung by yesterday. All new signs have been posted within the facility warning truckers and vehicles of a now active rail spur. They look to be extremely close to receiving their first cars, maybe already?