• Newark Airport Rail Stop traffic levels

• Discussion related to New Jersey Transit rail and light rail operations.
Discussion related to New Jersey Transit rail and light rail operations.

Moderators: lensovet, Kaback9, nick11a

by pumpers

Where can I find ridership over the years for the Newark Airport rail station -- both total and as a % of airport traffic?

There used to be a Port Authority web site that had monthly reports for all traffic in and out of EWR in great detail (airplanes and number of people), train passengers, bus, parking, etc, etc. I forget how I found the site but it was kind of hidden -- no links pointing to it I ever saw. But I forgot the address or it stopped working years ago.

Thanks, JS
  by Passaic River Rat

pumpers wrote:Where can I find ridership over the years for the Newark Airport rail station -- both total and as a % of airport traffic?

There used to be a Port Authority web site that had monthly reports for all traffic in and out of EWR in great detail (airplanes and number of people), train passengers, bus, parking, etc, etc. I forget how I found the site but it was kind of hidden -- no links pointing to it I ever saw. But I forgot the address or it stopped working years ago.

Thanks, JS
Try this link
  by Rockingham Racer

There doesn't seem to be any reporting of traffic at the EWR Amtrak/NJT station.
  by pumpers

River Rat -- that's it! How did you find it -- not obvious how to get there from the Port Authority site?
Back a few years ago, they used to keep changing what was capitalized in the web address of the monthly report - like .pdf or .Pdf or .PDF, and EWR or Ewr, May or MAY , etc in some random fashion, and you had to guess each month to find the new site with the new monthly report since the web sites were case-sensitive. THere wasn't a summary page with links, at least that I knew of. Nice to see it all straightned out.

Anyway, air traiffic for Newark is down by about 10% over the past 12 months, but the rail stop is still up. From a quick look, it has gone up every year since it opened -- from about 1 Million passengers a year in 2003 to nearly 2M in the past 12 months.

Thanks again, JS
  by Darien Red Sox

More airlines need inter ticketing agreements with Amtrak to get more people to use this station. This could also make more people to use KEWR airport as opposed to KJFK, KLGA, KHPN, ext. If I could go to Deltas website and type in STM or Stamford Station in the booking field to make all my reservation at once and get a guaranteed connection then that would be great and I would be much more likely to use KEWR.
  by Olton Hall

Darien Red Sox wrote:More airlines need inter ticketing agreements with Amtrak to get more people to use this station. This could also make more people to use KEWR airport as opposed to KJFK, KLGA, KHPN, ext. If I could go to Deltas website and type in STM or Stamford Station in the booking field to make all my reservation at once and get a guaranteed connection then that would be great and I would be much more likely to use KEWR.
Getting a guaranteed connection between a flight and the trains in very difficult to plan w/o a long layover after the flight. The cost of working with Amtrak makes it unattractive for the airlines too. The cost for CO to use Amtrak between EWR and ZFV (airline code for 30th St. station in phila) is $90
Last edited by Olton Hall on Tue Jul 21, 2009 10:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.
  by blockline4180

Rockingham Racer wrote:There doesn't seem to be any reporting of traffic at the EWR Amtrak/NJT station.
Yes, no traffic to report of!
  by pumpers

blockline4180 wrote:
Rockingham Racer wrote:There doesn't seem to be any reporting of traffic at the EWR Amtrak/NJT station.
Yes, no traffic to report of!
Not sure if there is some satire or something I am missing. In the links given by River Rat (for example April) http://www.panynj.com/CommutingTravel/a ... 09_EWR.PDF
down in the "ground transportation" category, "EWR Air Train passengers" refers to the NJT/Amtrak stop, I am fairly sure, not the monorail in general. over 150,000 passengers a month, almost 2,000,000 for the previous 12 months. That is over 5,000 a day, 7 days a week. Assuming this is all NJT, does it make it into the NJT top 5 or 10 stations? I wonder what the original projections were when the station was built? JS
  by Jtgshu

you can check the documents on NJTs website - like the annual reports and facts at a glance and it shows the top 5 stations and various other ridership stats. I do believe that EWR is in the top 5 stations, from what i could remember the last time i looked at those stats.
  by M&Eman

I think that the top five stations are (in this order) NYP, Newark Penn, Hoboken, Princeton Junction, Metropark. EWR is definitely top ten though.
  by ajt

Since it opened in 2001 Airport station ridership gains have far outpaced EWR air passenger growth. Still, EWR air passengers are in the millions per month; the rail station in the hundreds of thousands, so more opportunity still exists.