• New York, Westchester & Boston NYW&B / NH West Farms Jct

• Discussion relating to the NH and its subsidiaries (NYW&B, Union Freight Railroad, Connecticut Company, steamship lines, etc.). up until its 1969 inclusion into the Penn Central merger. This forum is also for the discussion of efforts to preserve former New Haven equipment, artifacts and its history. You may also wish to visit www.nhrhta.org for more information.
Discussion relating to the NH and its subsidiaries (NYW&B, Union Freight Railroad, Connecticut Company, steamship lines, etc.). up until its 1969 inclusion into the Penn Central merger. This forum is also for the discussion of efforts to preserve former New Haven equipment, artifacts and its history. You may also wish to visit www.nhrhta.org for more information.
  by Travelsonic

An article on the NYWB's impact on the towns it passes through, including a nice photo of Columbus Avenue - facing northeast towards the station, with the NYNH&H ROW in the foreground, Columbus Ave. platform and all.

http://query.nytimes.com/mem/archive-fr ... 946296D6CF
  by Travelsonic

nyw&br wrote:I have good news…

The NYW&BR catenary bridge is to be preserved in a new park in the Bronx named Starlight Park.

Use the link below for park info...

http://www.bronxriver.org/puma/images/u ... htPark.pdf
I really really hope this is the case, being the only purely NYW&B catenary bridge in known existence. :D
  by nyw&br

Here is a pic of the bridge and some add'l info...
  by Travelsonic

II was RIGHT - that was the tower pictured on p 107 of Bang's book on the NYW&B
  by Travelsonic

Updated the website Wikimapia [like Google maps, only with the ability to mark off areas [historic, unique, etc] and add information/photos/etc] to mark the site of catenary bridge #1. Almost immediately after [or rather, between that time yesterday and today] the marker was placed under "protected" status meaning it can't be vandalized/altered/etc. I've been marking all the NYW&B remains that I can, and adding photos I took when possible.
  by Travelsonic

Pardon for the bump, and third consecutive post in this thread, but

It is almost that time of year when you can clearly see catenary bridge #1 unobstructed - somebody should get a photo of it ESPECIALLY if the rumors of preservation turn out to be false.
  by Rick Abramson

Has the remainder of SS-8 been removed? I went by West Farms on the Acela last week and noticed it was gone; unless it was obscured by vegetation?
  by Otto Vondrak

Travelsonic wrote:II was RIGHT - that was the tower pictured on p 107 of Bang's book on the NYW&B
Yeah, they contacted us and we gave them permission to use the photo and helped make their text a little more accurate.

-otto-
  by Kurt

taken from the 174 Street bridge on 11/14/10

by Travelsonic

Wow, thanks Kurt. I was wondering if I could get permission to use it [and give credit] on the wikimapia "article"/marker on this catenary bridge.
  by Rick Abramson

Great shot of the anchor bridge. . . .now we need some Stillwell cars!
  by trainsinmaine

Kurt: Got your lovely photo, but nyw&br's won't show. I've tried everything.
  by CannaScrews

Nice shot.

Does anybody know if the transformers are air cooled or oil cooled?
  by Rick Abramson

Those are actually circuit breakers running along the top of the anchor bridge. They were used to sectionalize the catenary. They were oil filled. The oil was used to supress any arcing when the breaker(s) were opened.
I do believe the balancing transformers located alongside the anchor bridges were air cooled. I will double-check this.