• New voice in Hoboken

• Discussion related to New Jersey Transit rail and light rail operations.
Discussion related to New Jersey Transit rail and light rail operations.

Moderators: lensovet, Kaback9, nick11a

by ns3010

Otto Vondrak wrote:
p.s.: Full disclosure: Otto actually died four years ago, replaced by the SYSADMIN module that maintains the forum databases. It became self-aware and assumed his identity, so as to ensure the continued survival of RAILROAD.NET, waiting for the day...
I'm very sorry to hear about your death. :-)
Jtgshu wrote:For those of you "younger generation" readers, who don't remember 1986 or 1987 time frame, here is a little bit of info
Hey, you calling me dumb? :-D
Actually, thanks for that. If you didn't explain that, I would be absolutely clueless...
  by Jtgshu

ns3010 wrote:
Jtgshu wrote:For those of you "younger generation" readers, who don't remember 1986 or 1987 time frame, here is a little bit of info
Hey, you calling me dumb? :-D
Actually, thanks for that. If you didn't explain that, I would be absolutely clueless...
................. uh, no?

No problem??? :)

Even an "old fart" like me knows that If im clueless about something (yes, it happens....ALOT), the internet is a WONDERFUL thing.....Google anyone?

Anyway, maybe the Speak and Spell dude would be good choice for NJT station announcements? Just a thought

http://www.speaknspell.co.uk/speaknspell.html

(this will waste away an afternoon! )
  by Idiot Railfan

Im actually the avatar of Idiot Railfan, residing in the superstructure of a Cylon! My thanks to Daniel Graystone of Graystone Industries in Caprica City.
Last edited by Idiot Railfan on Tue Mar 16, 2010 8:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.
  by ApproachMedium

Speak like the devil!!!!!! That thing sounded really wierd!
  by Taborite

Idiot Railfan wrote:Im actually the avatar of Idiot Railfan, residing in the superstructure of a Cylon! My thanks to Daniel Graystone of Graystone Industries in Caprica City.
Frakin' Cylon!
  by sullivan1985

Otto Vondrak wrote:Don't trust them? Who do you think is sending out these "automated" announcements? SkyNet?
SkyNet was already installed at most stations. It was a success until a janitor at Summit tried to pull the plug to the Main Frame to plug in the floor buffer. The sentient system detected a threat and launched 100 warheads at Russia. It would have been destroyed on time, but John Connor and a squad of human resistance fighters where removed from the train at South Orange by NJTPD. The conductor on their train called in a 29 when they apparently demanded military half fare tickets without the proper identification. The CO didn't buy any of their "we're soldiers from the future" story one bit!
  by loufah

Idiot Railfan wrote:At least a programmed voice is not likely to say "This is the last and final call for..." or "Hoboken will be then last and final stop for this train."

Last and final?
OTOH, a computerized voice wouldnt give us treats like "Dover, Dover, your ride is over."
  by Idiot Railfan

Yes, I like the personal touch!

And this morning, the board on my train said "Next station, Mt Arlington" all the way in. That was informative.
  by Kaback9

Idiot Railfan wrote: And this morning, the board on my train said "Next station, Mt Arlington" all the way in. That was informative.
That actually is quite informative.
  by loufah

I don't know if she's still there, but the main waiting room at NYP used to have an announcer who spoke with a beautiful Irish lilt.

I will fondly remember that voice 30 years from now, when all announcements will be made of pieced-together phonemes from The AT&T Lady and the Red Caps will have been replaced by robots from Spacely Sprockets.
  by Jtgshu

loufah wrote:I don't know if she's still there, but the main waiting room at NYP used to have an announcer who spoke with a beautiful Irish lilt.

I will fondly remember that voice 30 years from now, when all announcements will be made of pieced-together phonemes from The AT&T Lady and the Red Caps will have been replaced by robots from Spacely Sprockets.
Wow, I haven't heard her in like 5 years....i think she might have retired. She did have a very unique voice!
  by cruiser939

Idiot Railfan wrote:I like people who are human
So do I.
  by cruiser939

sullivan1985 wrote:
Otto Vondrak wrote:Don't trust them? Who do you think is sending out these "automated" announcements? SkyNet?
SkyNet was already installed at most stations. It was a success until a janitor at Summit tried to pull the plug to the Main Frame to plug in the floor buffer. The sentient system detected a threat and launched 100 warheads at Russia. It would have been destroyed on time, but John Connor and a squad of human resistance fighters where removed from the train at South Orange by NJTPD. The conductor on their train called in a 29 when they apparently demanded military half fare tickets without the proper identification. The CO didn't buy any of their "we're soldiers from the future" story one bit!
God-Damn3d people from future, make our train late!

THEY DELAYED OUR TRAIN!
  by nick11a

Jtgshu wrote:
loufah wrote:I don't know if she's still there, but the main waiting room at NYP used to have an announcer who spoke with a beautiful Irish lilt.

Wow, I haven't heard her in like 5 years....i think she might have retired. She did have a very unique voice!
Sounds about right. She was always my favorite. "Use the gate at Track 2 for...." Sounded like a perfectly charming lady.
  by jersey_emt

nick11a wrote:
Jtgshu wrote:

Sounds about right. She was always my favorite. "Use the gate at Track 2 for...." Sounded like a perfectly charming lady.
Yeah, she was great. I miss her.