• New track for Maine Narrow Gauge

• Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New England
Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New England

Moderators: MEC407, NHN503

by hh660

I just returned from my afternoon 'sojourn' that took me along the waterfront walkway that parallels the MNG tracks on Portland's east end. There was evidence of tie replacement and ballast at the beach area of the line, it looks great.
Further down the line, towards the 'Oceangate' terminal site there was a big suprise. There is a gen contractor from Mass. unloading new narrow gauge ties and placing them on a totally new bed of ballast. This work appears to extend from the new terminal site, easterly towards the existing engine house ( the last structure on the line). I'm estimating it is about 500 to 600 feet of brand new track constuction.
I don't know if this is the end of the line, or if they have managed to get funding to extend it to Franklin Street-the original terminus. This would represent another 500 to 600' of track if this were to happen.
The new track is roughly 100' south ( towards the water) of the path of the old track. It appears that a graceful curve will be required to connect the new track to the original track near the engine house.
It looks good. Hope it continues to make progress.

by NellsChoo

It would be nice to see the Maine Narrow Gauge have more trackage. The trip would be even more fun if longer!!!

JD

by Otto Vondrak

According to their web site:

"Due to construction of the Ocean Gateway Project, a portion of our track has been temporarily removed at the Franklin Street Station end. We are still in operation. If state funding is approved, we will be able to continue service to Franklin Street Station hopefully by the Christmas season. Don't worry, we aren't going anywhere! Thank you for your patience and your patronage."

Is this what you saw, perhaps? There is also an appeal to elected officials for additional funding.

http://www.mngrr.org/index2.php

-otto-
  by hh660

'Is this what you saw, perhaps? There is also an appeal to elected officials for additional funding. '

It is what I was looking at.
I did hear (read) that due to budget woes on the gateway project, the city has eliminated the funds to allow the trackage to continue to Franklin Street.
The city cut this work, deeming it 'non-essential' construction.
Perhaps they have relented and ponyed up?