• New to Railroading...

• General discussion about working in the railroad industry. Industry employers are welcome to post openings here.
General discussion about working in the railroad industry. Industry employers are welcome to post openings here.

Moderator: thebigc

by wmt

Hi everyone, I have visited your site a few times and find you to be friendly and informative. And if you please, I'd like to ask a question; I recently applied for a conductor trainee job with NS, but was not chosen for an interview. Does anyone know if they keep the applications, if say the applicants they did interview don't make the grade. Or do they just post the jobs again and start over. Thank you in advance for any information you can give.

by rail

I did not hire out with NS but I did interview with them two years ago. At that time they started over each time, so keep on applying if you can. Also, If you REALLY REALLY want to work for the railroad, and your past experience does not help you get in I suggest paying and going to one of the CHOO CHOO colleges. Johnson county community college is great!!

Good Luck

by wmt

Thanks for the reply, I did consider the schools but money is an issue right now. I recently lost everything in a failing business. Which was when I decided owning a business was not for me, LOL.
After hearing as much as you can about the job without really living it, I believe this is what I am looking for.
I am afraid however I may have a hard time convincing them of that. First I am a woman and second I haven't stayed at any job I've had for more than 5yrs. and most were only about 2 yrs.
I was a certified welder most of 18 yrs. but I've done other things like campground manager, factory work, receptionist and right now Massage Therapist which is the failing business I have.
I am the kind of person that needs to work, I need responsibility, and something to fill my life now. My children are both grown and I'm not married. I want a career I need to be accountable to. But it's very hard to get that across to the people that hire if you can't get the interview.

I will continue to apply when I see postings, I am even willing to take a Boilermaker job, until I can get Conductor Trainee. I liked welding all the years I did it, sometimes you just have to get out from under that hood.

How long have you been with the railroad you are with? And have things been what you had hoped? Oh and did you go to Johnson County Community College? What I've found is that the cost is between 4 to 5k is that about right? Again, thanks for the reply and the encouragement.
Be Well, Be Safe

by Guest

Hi wmt -
I'm a conductor on the NS and I do a lot of training. Look around someplace in these forums - I'm sure I wrote some tips on how to get hired.

But to answer your question directly, no they don't keep the apps. My advice is to just keep going to the application sessions. They choose the best applicants from the pool of people that are at that particular session-- so if you get in a session with only a few applicants, you have a good chance of getting an interview. The first and last sessions on any given day tend to have the fewest applicants.

Good luck!

-r

by wmt

Hi razor,
Yes, I have seen some of your postings, actually I wanted to reply to one of you postings but it had been closed.
Since I have the opportunity now, let me ask you, I saw a posting from a Sean Martin with a website selling a book on how to get a railroad job, you may not want to advise or not advise me to buy this and that is understandable but if you know who I'm refering to could you at least verify if he is actually a conductor or not? And if this could be a valuable tool to help me.
Also, I read on a posting somewhere that you have to wait 6 months to reapply, is this true? I was just at my first application and test session on June 29 for Harrisburg PA and did not get asked for the interview so does that mean I must wait 6 months even if I see another posting for boilermaker or conductor?
By the way, how long have you been a Conductor with NS?
Thanks for the info.
Be Well, Be Safe

by wmt

razor, hi;
one more thing can I get rule or signal books any where to start learning while I keep pluging away at getting hired? I feed on learning ~ what can I say :-D
Thanks !

by Guest

I saw a posting from a Sean Martin with a website selling a book on how to get a railroad job...
Sorry, don't know anything about the fellow. Personally, I wouldn't pay for the info, most folks on these boards will tell you anything you want to know.
Also, I read on a posting somewhere that you have to wait 6 months to reapply, is this true?

No. Re-apply every time unless they tell you point blank not to come back.
By the way, how long have you been a Conductor with NS?
About two years. I sold computers before I got a job on the NS.

-r

by wmt

Once again razor, thanks for the info.
And I will keep applying
Here's to working together some day !!! :-D

by Engineer Spike

One time I went to a NS hiring session in OH. At the time I used the shot gun approach. I tried to hire out on several lines. I did not get picked on the day of the session. I did get called a few months later. I did not take the job, as I had just gotten hired by BNSF. I do not know if they still keep some of the better applications. This was 8 years ago.

by wmt

Thanks for the reply Spike, good to know. Guess there might be a glimmer of hope then and of course I'll apply ever time I see a posting. Glad to hear things worked out for you.
Thanks again!

by SnoozerZ49

Hi WMT,
good luck on your search and don't give up. I too had my own business before I got into railroading. I have found the amount of independence working on a train was really something I needed. I don't think it will be easy for you trying to tell NS about the kind of person you are and what you are looking for. I am guessing they are like a lot of the other big outfits when it comes to their hiring sessions. I noticed you are from Lancaster. My wife and I used to live in Marietta, I worked in New Holland.

Have you tried some of the regionals in the area? Reading and Northern lists openings from time to time. I know the North Shore Railroad up in Northumberland has a cluster of lines as well. I would think your welding background would be a big help. You may also find the smaller railroads have more of a low key approach than the big railroads. Hmm you are a welder and a massage therapist? It kind of sounds like a bone cracking mix :wink: LOL Good Luck

by steam371

WMT,

DO NOT PAY MR Martin or anyone else for that matter for books on"How to get a Railroad job"!! Razor is right on the money.

Snoozer is right with the shortline route, I went that road and its great. As Snoozer and others have said Big is not nessarily better.

Good Luck
Steam

by wmt

Snoozer,
Marietta isn't far from me so you have a good idea of my location. Did you move because of the RR job ? And if you did, please tell me did you get the job & training before the move or do the move first? That can be a tricky one.
Welder & Massage Therapist it is kind of a weird mix, I liked the bone cracking remark. :-)
The smaller RR's, guess my best bet would be getting in as a welder first, huh? Since I can't afford the training, I would guess the smaller RR's wouldn't pay you while training. But I guess, ya won't know if ya don't ask right?

Steam,
I'm going to take that advise about not buying the book, also since you did go with the shortline route, can you tell me; do they pay for training? Also, pay isn't the bottom line for me, I'm more worried about steady work, I just don't like to not have anything to do. Especially being on call, I do a lot of waiting for work now, and it makes me a little crazy. I would worry that the smaller RR's might not have steady work, is that a good assumption or not necessarily. (probably one of those,"depends on the company", huh?)

Well thanks for your time and advise, you guys are great, be safe!

by SnoozerZ49

It has been quite a while since we lived in PA. I used to be in the dairy business, I worked in New Holland. Before that lived in Mechanicsburg and Boiling Springs.

I don't think that you will find short lines requiring any training at your own expense. Most of it is on the job stuff. Your welding experience could help you in train service as it shows you are not afraid to work with your hands. I think the reluctance a lot of railroad managers have is that the person applying for the jopb does not really understand the rigors associated with train service work. There are a lot more "momma's boys" out there than you would imagine! A lot of people quit after a short while because they weren't expecting it to be the way it really is, even though everyone around them warned them. So having a clear understanding of what you are going after is very important. You may find a hiring manager that can see your determination. I've always been told that the hardest job to get on the railroad is the first one.

I'm not sure how many short lines there are within driving distance of your home but the internet is a great place to start looking.

Good luck and keep in touch.

by steam371

The shortline I work for, has in house trainning. You start off as a brakeman and work as a brakeman( or brake person ) for 2 years before trainning as a conductor. They do hire people from the train schools as well.
You start off on the spareboard or extra board if you will, unless you can sign or bid for a job, from the sign up. The spareboard isn't bad unless you need your entire life planned. We do have a spare board guareentee of 6.5 hrs, where if you are not required to work, by either choice or no avaliable work, you get paid for 6.5 hrs.
I'll tell you right now, Railroading is not only a career but a lifestyle, and isn't great on family life at times, but it pays well, and good benefits, and some good people and friends. It seems to me in my short railroading career ( 1 year ) that it does'nt suit everyone.