• New station at ROC

• Discussion related to Amtrak also known as the National Railroad Passenger Corp.
Discussion related to Amtrak also known as the National Railroad Passenger Corp.

Moderators: GirlOnTheTrain, mtuandrew, Tadman

by Tadman

Roadgeek Adam wrote:
Tadman wrote:Those mid-level Amshacks, similar to Detroit, have two failings: One, they were cheaply built and look like garbage with any level of use after 20-30 years. Two, they are not that great for more than 20 people to board at a time. Detroit fills with 100+ people for many trains and it doesn't work so hot. You have wall-to-wall people and a narrow stairway to get them all to the train. Of course, stations with attendants feel it's unsafe to let passengers up until the train rolls in, so we jam everybody into the darn stairway. Talk about unsafe.

Of course, the grand daddy of mid-size station problems is Staples Mill. You get 3-5 trains in about the same hour each evening and it's a s***-show, all in the same size building.
The station attendants sometimes take this much too seriously. Albany-Rensselaer comes to mind. I get safety, but man, it would be nice to stand on the platforms to wait for the train rather than be herded like cows.

Anyway, hopefully these antiquated Amshacks go the way of the dodo. They are making progress, just not enough yet.
I think it's a job security thing, IE "If we don't actively do active things actively, we'll be perceived as not useful and let go". What they're totally missing is the balance of safety and customer service. If you make 100-200 people cram into a narrow staircase, how the F is that safe? It's awful. If you boss people around all morning when, fifty miles down the railroad is an unmanned platform with nobody bossing passengers around, we get tired of it.

This is also where the third-party operator thing kicks in. If a third party bid on the Michigan operation, perhaps they would figure out a better station arrangement.
  by MisterUptempo

n2cbo wrote:Still, much better than what we have here on the NEC at Metropark (which serves thousands more passengers than ROC...

Jealous? Just talk to Governor TubbyPants about it. I'm sure he'd be more than happy to get on that right away.
  by Gilbert B Norman

Over budget!

Gotta give the pols something to make headlines with.
  by ExCon90

OUT OF MANY, ONE -- Has Amtrak adopted that as its slogan, also? Never thought about it that way, but it's appropriate.
  by twropr

Is the new station simply rail, or an "intermodal" station where Greyhound/Trailways, city buses and cabs also stop?
Are there restuarants/shops like in Albany-Rensselaer?
Thanks!
Andy
Jacksonville, FL
  by n2cbo

MisterUptempo wrote:
n2cbo wrote:Still, much better than what we have here on the NEC at Metropark (which serves thousands more passengers than ROC...

Jealous? Just talk to Governor TubbyPants about it. I'm sure he'd be more than happy to get on that right away.
Nah, not jealous, but the point I was making was that the station that they knocked down in ROC was much bigger than what we had here on the NEC. I just thought it silly to knock it down since it looked like it was still in good condition.
  by AgentSkelly

Wasn’t the station actually built by PC before Amtrak when they demo’d Schenectady Union?
  by F-line to Dudley via Park

Article with video tour of the new station: https://www.democratandchronicle.com/st ... 736674001/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Visitors will find the new Amtrak station, with its high ceilings, rounded skylights and huge arched windows, much more stylish and airy than its decrepit predecessor. There is space, as yet unfilled, for small retailers.

The new facility is 9,500 square feet, officials said — about 32 percent larger than the old one.
  by n2cbo

F-line to Dudley via Park wrote:Article with video tour of the new station: https://www.democratandchronicle.com/st ... 736674001/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Visitors will find the new Amtrak station, with its high ceilings, rounded skylights and huge arched windows, much more stylish and airy than its decrepit predecessor. There is space, as yet unfilled, for small retailers.

The new facility is 9,500 square feet, officials said — about 32 percent larger than the old one.
WOW! Nice Station!
  by StLouSteve

Is the new station simply rail, or an "intermodal" station where Greyhound/Trailways, city buses and cabs also stop?
Not truly intermodal, but bus station is just across the parking lot