• New Sound Dampening System at Ashmont

• Discussion relating to commuter rail, light rail, and subway operations of the MBTA.
Discussion relating to commuter rail, light rail, and subway operations of the MBTA.

Moderators: sery2831, CRail

by BandM4266

Patrick Boylan wrote:I read on prior pages at least one question about what will happen when they spray the noise dampening water when the temperature's below freezing. I assume at those times the nearby residences will have their windows closed, so they shouldn't notice outside noises as much as when their houses' windows are open, so maybe MBTA won't spray water.
The MBTA was spraying water onto the rail last year until Temps dropped to low to be used. From what I have gathered they are back to using Grease on the rail, along with, Sound barrier cloths drapped around the Loop, Rubber caps or Hubs from a Dutch company, and Windsheild wash sprayed onto the wheels from a pump mounted inside the PCC. None of these reduce the noise enough on their own but working as a combination they seem to reduce it enough to bearable levels. But nothing can cure a Loop that was designed on too tight a Radius.
  by 3rdrail

I was told that a windshield anti-freeze washer type solution was going to be used.