• New Providence & Worcester locomotives?

• Topics relating to the operation of the P&W Railroad, which is a subsidiary of Genesee and Wyoming. Regional freight railroad based in Worcester and operating in Massachusetts, Rhode Island, Connecticut, and New York.
    Official Website
Topics relating to the operation of the P&W Railroad, which is a subsidiary of Genesee and Wyoming. Regional freight railroad based in Worcester and operating in Massachusetts, Rhode Island, Connecticut, and New York.
Official Website

Moderator: MEC407

by TrainManTy

I've just received this information from a friend:

"P&W currently has only 2 units from LLPX: 3003 which is in SLR Yellow and Black (may be confused with CNW Yellow and Green) and 3105, which is in CSX MOW Orange. The SRR and KCS units you described are probably Pan Am Power, which was reported coming down on Q427 to Worcester a few days ago, with HLCX 6221, formerly QNSL in a gray scheme very similar to that of KCS', and a HLCX 6404, a former SP SD45, in HLCX Maroon and Blue. PAR is also leasing several HLCX units that are completely black (possibly confused with SRR), which may have been seen in Worcester at an earlier date paired with an ex QNSL unit."
  by HarryE

shadyjay wrote:The Mt Tom coal trucking operation was a trial run only, I believe Mt Tom coal is moving up to Gardner, then over PAS to Deerfield, then down the Conn River to its facility on the line. Its amazing that such a trucking event occurred, seeing as how the tracks run through the plant, but that's Guilford/Pan-Am for ya!
Slightly off topic again, but there are rumors that coal trains to Mt. Tom will soon go via NS & CP to PAS in a new arrangement. Can anyone verify this?
  by daylight4449

ok, but we still have no confirmation on the ex-southern GP unit. it has been outside the shop in worcester coupled to the orange CSX matinece unit. mabey an unanounced purchase of power and it could be waiting to go into the shop for painting
  by TrainManTy

I believe the "ex-Southern unit" is actually an HLCX unit that came down from Pan Am Railways on CSX Q427 / PAR AYSE (Ayer, MA - Selkirk, MA).

The power from Q427 on September 13 (HLCX 6221 and 6404) left its train at Barbers Jct (probably to be replaced with CSX power for the run to Selkirk) and headed to the P&W. 6221 is gray and 6404 is maroon and blue. My guess is that you're seeing one of these or LLPX 3003 (in SLR yellow and black) and thinking it is ex-Southern. The orange unit is LLPX 3105.

If it's not one of these, remember that Pan Am also has a bunch of HLCX leasers that are solid black. One of those could have also taken a trip down to the P&W on Q427, and looks vaguely like an ex-Southern unit.

If you really want to know, you could always email the P&W Locomotive Superintendent at [email protected] although I don't know how much he'll tell you.

The company directory is found here: http://www.pwrr.com/contacts.html
  by daylight4449

TrainManTy wrote:I believe the "ex-Southern unit" is actually an HLCX unit that came down from Pan Am Railways on CSX Q427 / PAR AYSE (Ayer, MA - Selkirk, MA).

The power from Q427 on September 13 (HLCX 6221 and 6404) left its train at Barbers Jct (probably to be replaced with CSX power for the run to Selkirk) and headed to the P&W. 6221 is gray and 6404 is maroon and blue. My guess is that you're seeing one of these or LLPX 3003 (in SLR yellow and black) and thinking it is ex-Southern. The orange unit is LLPX 3105.

If it's not one of these, remember that Pan Am also has a bunch of HLCX leasers that are solid black. One of those could have also taken a trip down to the P&W on Q427, and looks vaguely like an ex-Southern unit.

If you really want to know, you could always email the P&W Locomotive Superintendent at [email protected] although I don't know how much he'll tell you.

yah, and i've seen some leased power on pan am painted for morris knudson, with HLCX markings
  by atsf sp

well id didn't get to stop in worcester. I was headed to Springfield and my computer was acting up so I had to take it in and was not able to reach worcester in the day so there was no point. But the leasers make sense.
  by daylight4449

TrainManTy wrote:I believe the "ex-Southern unit" is actually an HLCX unit that came down from Pan Am Railways on CSX Q427 / PAR AYSE (Ayer, MA - Selkirk, MA).

well it had the full southern colors! southern green with white detail
  by TrainManTy

The only Geep to ever get Southern Railway green was a GP59 that received green and white AFTER the formation of Norfolk Southern Corporation, as a Heritage Unit of sorts. I highly doubt that this is on the P&W!

A photo of the unit would help since there are none on NERAIL or Railpictures.net. My only guess is that it could be the Maine Eastern GP7 (probably not the FL9 :P ) en route between Maine and New Jersey (to owner Morristown & Erie) or vice versa.
  by daylight4449

TrainManTy wrote:The only Geep to ever get Southern Railway green was a GP59 that received green and white AFTER the formation of Norfolk Southern Corporation, as a Heritage Unit of sorts. I highly doubt that this is on the P&W!

A photo of the unit would help since there are none on NERAIL or Railpictures.net. My only guess is that it could be the Maine Eastern GP7 (probably not the FL9 :P ) en route between Maine and New Jersey (to owner Morristown & Erie) or vice versa.
makes sense, but it's been there for two months, going onto 3. and it has a low short hood
  by MEC407

Have you considered taking a picture of it? :P
  by TrainManTy

Yeah, I agree. Get us a photo of it and then we can resume speculating!
  by CVRA7

(the only E9A, and ex-union pacific E9, is in
danbury CT painted for the nyc #4096, a scrapped E8 that was used for the 20th century. asside from that, their is only one E7 still in existance, at the railroad museum of pennsylvania.)
Correction - the "NYC 4096" was actually numbered one number higher than the last NYC E unit. IIRC no genuine NYC 4096 ever existed.
  by daylight4449

CVRA7 wrote:(the only E9A, and ex-union pacific E9, is in
danbury CT painted for the nyc #4096, a scrapped E8 that was used for the 20th century. asside from that, their is only one E7 still in existance, at the railroad museum of pennsylvania.)
Correction - the "NYC 4096" was actually numbered one number higher than the last NYC E unit. IIRC no genuine NYC 4096 ever existed.

well, it still proves my point
  by atsf sp

This topic once again died without an answer. Do we have a pic. of this green/southern unit? Any confirmation at all? Was it the Maine Eastern GP?
  by RonM

FWIW, there is a very active forum on the P&W yahoo group. I'm sure the locomotives are mentioned as there are usually daily reports on the P&W posted.