• New Menus Posted

• Discussion related to Amtrak also known as the National Railroad Passenger Corp.
Discussion related to Amtrak also known as the National Railroad Passenger Corp.

Moderators: GirlOnTheTrain, mtuandrew, Tadman

by peconicstation

Amtrak has posted their new menus, and updated the food facts site to reflect current offerings.
Standardization continues with the Auto Train, and Cardinal having the only differing menus.

Worth noting is that the soft beverages, and side salad that used to be included with the cost of lunch and dinner entrees
are now listed as separate options.

http://www.amtrak.com/servlet/ContentSe ... 1305537990" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Ken
  by Trainer

Except for the Auto Train and Cardinal (why just the Cardinal?), these menu's all look exactly the same to me. Didn't Amtrak use to offer more "regional" selections that might be more interesting to travelers?

I wonder how much they lose on these selections. Last I knew, that $10 cheeseburger costs Amtrak $16.15 to produce. The $2.25 soda costs $3.40.
  by David Benton

Trainer wrote:Except for the Auto Train and Cardinal (why just the Cardinal?), these menu's all look exactly the same to me. Didn't Amtrak use to offer more "regional" selections that might be more interesting to travelers?

I wonder how much they lose on these selections. Last I knew, that $10 cheeseburger costs Amtrak $16.15 to produce. The $2.25 soda costs $3.40.
I thought David Gunn put a stop to those costs. Or at least negotiated a better deal for Amtrak.
The Cardinal does not have a dining car, hence the different menu.
  by theozno

I'm Traveling across the country starting Nov 10th. Coast Starlight to California Zepher in Sacramento (wish AGR let me stay in San Francisco for the night they said no) to Capitol limited to a regional. 5 days and 4 night on the rails. I'm curious on the changes. I hear there is no more ice. I knew about the wine reception. from Amtrak pro's forum on Facebook I am also hearing coffee is no longer being served past 11am and no more Ice? I will be interested to see the difference from my trip on the Empire Builder from last year. My question is why not just raise the fare by $10-$25 instead of getting rid of all the amenities of flowers wine & cheese tasting etc...
  by Greg Moore

theozno wrote:I'm Traveling across the country starting Nov 10th. Coast Starlight to California Zepher in Sacramento (wish AGR let me stay in San Francisco for the night they said no) to Capitol limited to a regional. 5 days and 4 night on the rails. I'm curious on the changes. I hear there is no more ice. I knew about the wine reception. from Amtrak pro's forum on Facebook I am also hearing coffee is no longer being served past 11am and no more Ice? I will be interested to see the difference from my trip on the Empire Builder from last year. My question is why not just raise the fare by $10-$25 instead of getting rid of all the amenities of flowers wine & cheese tasting etc...
I agree, I wish AGR would let you do an overnight and stuff like that.

That said, I suspect the reason for not raising the fare is the optics of the situation makes things look better as a cut.
Even if you raised the fair say $10 for an overnight trip, on the budget items you'd see a line, "wine and cheese" and folks would cry, "why are wasting money on this, cut it!"

Personally, I think that cutting minor stuff is a bit foolish. As you point out, if it's really the dollar amounts, charge a bit more and make up the difference. I think one of the things going for spending a night on the train vs. flying is the amenities.
  by theozno

Greg Moore wrote: I agree, I wish AGR would let you do an overnight and stuff like that.
Same with Acela. AGR will not let me go to an Acela train in DC without using an additional 12,000 points with this trip or when transferring to Virginia Regionals to NPN or NFK. While I know having 250,000 or so points is well then enough, I still have much of Amtrak's routes to do... Texas Eagle, Southwest Chef as the big ones. The trains to Florida I would also like to do when the new view liner cars are in operation IE no bathroom in the room. Essentially I want to have done the Entire Amtrak system in the years to come. I do wish AGR let me do stopovers like the North American Pass they offer for coach or offer reward points usage for Amtrak Vacations. to keep on subject I am happy that coffee is still only $2. My biggest fear is it being $2.25 or $2.50 soon.
  by Jersey_Mike

peconicstation wrote:Amtrak has posted their new menus, and updated the food facts site to reflect current offerings.
Standardization continues with the Auto Train, and Cardinal having the only differing menus.

Worth noting is that the soft beverages, and side salad that used to be included with the cost of lunch and dinner entrees

http://www.amtrak.com/servlet/ContentSe ... 1305537990" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Ken
The specialness of the menus has always been with the "specials" for some time now. I'm glad that they stopped listing the specials on the menu so that one can expect some variety over the course of the year or even across multiple trains.

Not cool with the salad and sodas no longer being included. Amtrak basically just boosted the price of the meals by about $5 for a coach passenger.
  by Woody

Jersey_Mike wrote:
peconicstation wrote:Amtrak has posted their new menus ...

Ken
Not cool with the salad and sodas no longer being included. Amtrak basically just boosted the price of the meals by about $5 for a coach passenger.
Amtrak just boosted the price of meals?
Amtrak is simply trying to follow orders from its bosses:

See Monthly Performance Report for August, page B -1:
Status of FY2015 Transportation Appropriations Bill
Current to August 31, 2014
 H.R.4745 was debated on the House floor on June 9 and 10, and
approved on June 10, 229-192. Several amendments affecting
Amtrak were defeated and several adopted. Those defeated
included ... prohibiting Amtrak from running routes with 50%
or less cost recovery (7 routes, Sessions, 167-250). Those adopted
included prohibiting Amtrak from using operating funds to
support food and beverage service (Gingrey, voice vote)
and prohibiting Amtrak from using operating funds to operate
the route identified in 2013 as having the highest loss per passenger
(Sunset Limited, Sessions, voice vote). (Emphasis added.)
Granted, this is only the House Bill. A Democratic Senate might
bargain for some leeway on this. Or a Republican Senate might
agree totally with their colleagues in the House.

Amtrak is just trying to get ahead of things with these cuts.
  by ExCon90

That's the root of the problem right there. As long as politicians are seized by a frenzy to micromanage what they don't understand there will be silly, counterproductive requirements like this, especially if they think it will resonate with the folks back home.
  by mtuandrew

On the other hand, restaurants that don't charge a la carte for salad and drink are becoming few and far between. Whether or not Amtrak is doing the right thing by customers, it's definitely not on the cutting edge of restaurant menu pricing.
  by theozno

Ken[/quote]

Not cool with the salad and sodas no longer being included. Amtrak basically just boosted the price of the meals by about $5 for a coach passenger.[/quote]

how about roomette passengers? I'll be pissed if I have to pay for a soda. I do want to get around to doing an Acela 1st class trip at some point Boston to Washington DC. I hear that meals, Beer & wine are included in the price. thats about a $400 one way trip if not using points.
  by Greg Moore

theozno wrote:Ken
Not cool with the salad and sodas no longer being included. Amtrak basically just boosted the price of the meals by about $5 for a coach passenger.[/quote]

how about roomette passengers? I'll be pissed if I have to pay for a soda. I do want to get around to doing an Acela 1st class trip at some point Boston to Washington DC. I hear that meals, Beer & wine are included in the price. thats about a $400 one way trip if not using points.[/quote]

Yes, everything is included in Acela 1st class. For pricing, pick a Sunday, you'll save a bit.

I've had some decent wine in 1st class (and of course I always welcome people adding to my reviews of meals.)

I haven't done NYP-BOS yet, but hope to one of these days.
  by Jersey_Mike

Amtrak used to charge for sodas and not do the salads, but then included them to help offset a general price increase on the food itself.

The one good part is they are offering lunch items like burgers, for dinner. This will help out the budget minded coach passenger.
  by AgentSkelly

While the beverage and salad perk was nice, I have no problem with Amtrak running dining service more in-line with the rest of the restaurant industry. And plus, you will get people who will just want a salad and a soda!
  by jp1822

AgentSkelly wrote:While the beverage and salad perk was nice, I have no problem with Amtrak running dining service more in-line with the rest of the restaurant industry. And plus, you will get people who will just want a salad and a soda!
And those that get Tilapia every night when traveling from Chicago to Sacarmento. The lack of variety train to train is starting to elicit some negative comments from passengers. I can remember when dining cars on some trains were PACKED. On a recent cross country trip - that I have not done in a long time - I was really surprised with lack of passengers, especially coach passengers. Many in coach flocked to the Superliner Sightseer to get a better variety on their terms....

At least perhaps different menus between north-south and east-west trains....