• New Locomotives???

• Discussion relating to commuter rail, light rail, and subway operations of the MBTA.
Discussion relating to commuter rail, light rail, and subway operations of the MBTA.

Moderators: sery2831, CRail

by railfan101

Does anyone know if the MBTA has any plans for purchasing new locomotives to replace some of the aging F40's. If so what might the pans consist of? :wink:
  by GP40MC1118

The only thing on their plate is a possible 18 unit order that is an add-on
to a Metrolink or some other western commuter agnecy's locomotive order with MK/Boise Loco Shops. I assume it'll be the MP36-3S's or some
version that's running around on METRA in Chicago. But that is 2-3 years away.

I know they had an add in the two Boston papers for for a Top Deck rebuild of a small group of engines, which I suspect is the GP40MC's.

Also, they are hurting for switcher engines as the 904 is out, the 3247
is back in BET and the 902 is on the Readville Switcher, but has some
sort of electrical issue.

d
  by railfan101

GP40MC1118 wrote:The only thing on their plate is a possible 18 unit order that is an add-on
to a Metrolink or some other western commuter agnecy's locomotive order with MK/Boise Loco Shops. I assume it'll be the MP36-3S's or some
version that's running around on METRA in Chicago. But that is 2-3 years away.

I know they had an add in the two Boston papers for for a Top Deck rebuild of a small group of engines, which I suspect is the GP40MC's.

Also, they are hurting for switcher engines as the 904 is out, the 3247
is back in BET and the 902 is on the Readville Switcher, but has some
sort of electrical issue.

d
Thanks Dave

Bring back the old MNCR FL9's and FP10's :P :P :P :P :P

by CSX Conductor

Get some ALP 46's for the south side to be used on the Attleboro jobs, lol.

by CSRR573

CONDOT uses Genesis locos so why cant the MBTA????

by octr202

CSRR573 wrote:CONDOT uses Genesis locos so why cant the MBTA????
Why would they want to? GE's load slowly, and the Genesis is out of production anyway...

by typesix

Yes the GEs are very slow accelerating, even with the small Silver Meteor Amtrak train I rode last summer. F40s are fast compared to GEs.

by Robert Paniagua

CSXT CR you're right about that! I would want to see ALP46s for Attleborough as well, I'm sure they'll do a pretty decent job here, or make something like the EMU M8s for MetroNorth, which are slated to replace the M2s, the T could design something similar and use it here, although the platforms at Sharon, Canton Jct, Hyde Park, Readville, Mansfield, Attleboro and South Atlleboro would have to be reaised completely.

by CSRR573

Sorry about the genesis thing. Didnt Know :-D

by octr202

CSRR573 wrote:Sorry about the genesis thing. Didnt Know :-D
No worries. Besides, the MP36's that Dave referenced would potentially share a lot more with the other EMDs that currently are in service.

by octr202

Robert Paniagua wrote:CSXT CR you're right about that! I would want to see ALP46s for Attleborough as well, I'm sure they'll do a pretty decent job here, or make something like the EMU M8s for MetroNorth, which are slated to replace the M2s, the T could design something similar and use it here, although the platforms at Sharon, Canton Jct, Hyde Park, Readville, Mansfield, Attleboro and South Atlleboro would have to be reaised completely.
Actually, if it proves to be successful, the Silverliner V being developed for SEPTA might be a better choice if EMUs were purchased for MBTA commuter lines, as it will be low and high platform compatible.

Not sure which part though is the crazier speculation...MBTA buying EMUs or SEPTA getting a successful new car design from an untested builder. :wink:

by Robert Paniagua

Oh I see. You're right about the Silverliner V, since those have trap doors and the new M8s for MetroNorth will not have trap doors or steps for low level platforms.

by MBTA3247

I've seen an artist's impression of the locomotive model the T is looking at to replace the F40PH's with. (Ah, the perks of having a summer job working at BET :-D) It looks pretty good.

Concerning the F40's, the T intends to retire them as they suffer major mechanical failures. 1006 and 1011 are already in the dead line behind BET.

by GP40MC 1116

MBTA3247 wrote:I've seen an artist's impression of the locomotive model the T is looking at to replace the F40PH's with. (Ah, the perks of having a summer job working at BET :-D) It looks pretty good.

Concerning the F40's, the T intends to retire them as they suffer major mechanical failures. 1006 and 1011 are already in the dead line behind BET.
The ever growing deadline it seems
Last edited by GP40MC 1116 on Wed Jul 12, 2006 11:26 am, edited 1 time in total.

by njtmnrrbuff

GEs pulling MBTA commuter trains, not a good idea, even if many platforms are high level.