• New locomotives purchased for Greenbush?

• Discussion relating to commuter rail, light rail, and subway operations of the MBTA.
Discussion relating to commuter rail, light rail, and subway operations of the MBTA.

Moderators: sery2831, CRail

by CSX Conductor

Does anybody know whether the MBTA plans to purchase any new locomotives when the Greenbush opens, or will they just run with what they have and hope nothing breaks down due to less spares around?!?
  by GP40MC1118

As far as I know, there are no orders for new or rebuilt locomotives by the MBTA. Getting the 1100's to work well consistently would help!!!

D

by MBTA F40PH-2C 1050

if they do end up buying locomotives, which they probably won't, what would they consider on getting? hopefully no more GP40MC's what else is there for passenger service like the T? F59PH? :-D
  by GP40MC1118

They don't have many choices:

1) MK/BOISE Locomotive - They would be the prime candidate, since they are building units (MP36S...) for METRA.

2) GE - This would be a break from the standard EMD/MK roster. Plus I hear the Genesis engines aren't all that suited for commuter service, being
slow out of the gate. But they run on MNCR and CDOT, so who knows?

3) Some other locomotive rebuilder - highly doubtful, but maybe if they
could find some ex-Amtrak F40's or something on the used market.
I would think the 1100 experience would make them shy about going
this route.

D
  by Cosmo

....they could always scoop up the last of the FL9's from MN! The engines have an excelent maintenance reccord and most have had recent rebuilds. :-)
* :(

Okay, guys, I'm sorry. I'll shut up now. :wink:

by Robert Paniagua

Most likely no Amtrak Genesis P40s for MBTA. They are either going to MNRR or SLE, but none that we know of are going our way.

by Porter Sq

This page gives a list of all the ex-Amtrak F40's. One was even on eBay but it is on longer listed. I don't see them going after something new. It means another engine to maintain and keep parts and train people to repair and operate. Try to round up between 10-15 if you could. Put them threw a rebuild most of the engines are only 30 years old. I would say if the MBTA gets new engines to replace the current ones is buy a fleet of the same engines to cut down on costs.

Here's the Link.
http://www.on-track-on-line.com/amtk-ro ... ml#Diesels
  by CSX Conductor

GP40MC1118 wrote:2) GE - This would be a break from the standard EMD/MK roster. Plus I hear the Genesis engines aren't all that suited for commuter service, being
slow out of the gate.

Yes Dave, you are 100% correct that GE's are slow loading. :(

by b&m 1566

So no P42's for the MBTA? I'm starting to like those units. Maybe we will see those 10 years from now... used of course.

by AznSumtinSumtin

I was thinking of bullet trains like Acela Express. Bullet trains can teach those idiots at railroad crossings a lesson if you know what I mean.

Maybe the MBTA should convert Old Colony to Maglev within the next 1000 years.

Ok, I'll be serious this time. The T should buy an F59PH or F59PHI. There are lots of those on the west coast.

Or the T can buy SD90MAC's from Union Pacific or Canadian Pacific to run extra extra extra long Framingham/Worcester trains during rush hour.

I go with options number 1, 2, and 4. Option three will never happen. LOL

by octr202

A couple thoughts...

GE doesn't currently offer a passenger design, but they've also introduced a whole new prime mover, so, my amatuer guess is that by the time the MBTA is looking for new power, anything's possible over there (wouldn't hold my breath though).

There are two new models going through their trial periods. The first is the MP36's from MPI that were mentioned...the jury still seems out on how they're doing in Chicagoland with METRA, but Caltrain seems to have had better luck. Keep in mind, I believe there are substantial differences between the two models, namely, that Metra specified 645 prime movers, while Caltrain (also New Mexico DOT) went with the 710.

The other out there is the Alstom PL42AC, being built for NJT. These have been very slow coming from the factory, and so far NJT hasn't seemed to have had great luck with Alstom products (the Comet V coaches), but seeing as how the PL42AC isn't even in service yet, its too early to tell. Could prove to be an option on the market in a few years.

From what I've read, the F59's haven't been terribly superb, either. Regardless, they're also well out of production, too. The ones that are out there (GO Transit, Metrolink, Amtrak) probably aren't going anywhere anytime soon, and by the time they do, they'll probably be in need of a rebuild to be useful.

by b&m 1566

From what I've read, the F59's haven't been terribly superb, either.

I never new F59 locomotives existed, I’ve never even heard of them before; till now. Are the F59's the same locomotives that I'm thinking of... like F2's, F3's, F7's, F10's, F40's and all the others I didn't mention?

by AznSumtinSumtin

F59's are virtually nonexistant here in the northeast. Theyre almost always used on the west coast. What does an F59PH look like? Just imagine that the front looks like an MBTA GP40MC, but with 3 windows instead of 2. And the end looks like an F40. What does an F59PHI look like? Just imagine a P40, but the slanted nose goes down more and there are no sharp edges.
F59PH
F59PHI

by johnpbarlow

Let's revert back to an old, abused discussion thread: the T should buy electrics for the Boston-Providence service and free up diesels for Greenbush and expanded Worcester service. I think there are some ex-NdeM E60s sitting around somewhere... ;-)

by octr202

johnpbarlow wrote:Let's revert back to an old, abused discussion thread: the T should buy electrics for the Boston-Providence service and free up diesels for Greenbush and expanded Worcester service. I think there are some ex-NdeM E60s sitting around somewhere... ;-)
Better yet, there's all those GG1s just doing nothing in railroad museums all over the country...