• New Jersey Seashore Lines: was CNJ being cleard Woodmansie>N

• Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New Jersey
Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New Jersey

Moderator: David

by David

Oh No!!! Just what we need --More rules to follow----- Thank you! :-)
  by pdtrains

No, I'm just asking that when you show up at Boot Camp, you should at least know
what Boot Camp is.

And while you're at it, you could get a TV, so you'd know what I'm referencing.

But I digress.

Any more real news on the CNJ southern div. is greatly appreciated.
  by wolfboy8171981

pdtrains wrote:Thanks to everyone who has posted real information, and photos.

When I first heard about the tree clearing in 2006, I put this in the
"It'll be up and running right after the Lackawanna Cutoff is back in business."

Well, looks like this line may make it to active status first, although, obviously no guarantees.

With apologizes to Bill Maher.....

NEW RULES.....

1. No more online creaming in your jeans about full restoration of the Blue Comet Route.
It's not going to happen. Stop it! This is a RR forum, not Santa's Lap.

2. Same goes for the dreaming about what the power for NJSL might be. Let's actually
fix the track 1st, then we can play "Guess the power" . I'm sure Tony Macrie is reading, to make
sure he picks the most popular engine for this operation.

3. Mandatory reading for all posters on this thread....
a) The difference between Class 1, Class 2, and Class 3 railroads.
b) Union shops vs. Non-Union shops
c) Trackage agreements between Railroads...just how does it all work. (No, you cannot run on someone
else's railroad just because you want to.)
d) Politics, NJ, and the STB, or "Why you want to deal with someone who has already gotten a RR running in NJ"

4. Optional.....
Get a job on a railroad, any railroad, for any length of time. You'll learn a lot, if all this seems confusing.

P.S. I used to try to answer a lot of questions on the forum, but I just got tired of seeing the same "railroading 101"
questions over and over again. I guess we need to have a Railroading 101 thread here somewhere.
We can start with "green over red vs. red over red" Sorry if I'm putting down some folks here, but if you're a
regular poster, you should know a lot of this stuff by now.
Good luck with that, and thanks for coming in today. See Sirsonic's Proven Theory #2.....
  by CJPat

pdtrains wrote:NEW RULES...
With all due respect, I understand the frustration of some of the very knowlegeable members when confronted with questions that seem basic or the same questions that pop up thread after thread, but please show patience. You have participants of every knowledge base in these forums from the green newbie to the seasoned professional. I believe one of the intentions of the forum was to share knowlege so people could learn. New members are not going to necessarily review every thread since 2004. Like most of us, they read the ones that appear the most interesting.

The point of Boot Camp was to indoctrinate the unknowing so they could atleast perform the basics of day to day so the unit could make some sort of headway. I don't think you are gonna be able to lay down "rules" until you set up that "Railroad 101" in its entirety and get the moderators to make it required reading before allowing new personnel to jump into the threads. Personally, I congratulate our newer members. I recognize that it takes a bit of "intestinal fortitude" to jump in and face getting hazed. Don't drive away the very people that are here to learn. I don't think that was your intention.
  by NJT4272

pdtrains wrote: 2. Same goes for the dreaming about what the power for NJSL might be. Let's actually
fix the track 1st, then we can play "Guess the power" . I'm sure Tony Macrie is reading, to make
sure he picks the most popular engine for this operation.
Ha Ha Ha!

There's no need to play "Guess the power". That's a done deal already.

Unfortunately, I can't elaborate upon that at this time. :-D
  by GE-RULES

NJT4272 wrote: Ha Ha Ha!

If you can't elaborate than why bother posting any kind of response? Why do people feel the need to play the "I know something you don't" game?
  by wolfboy8171981

GE-RULES wrote:

If you can't elaborate than why bother posting any kind of response? Why do people feel the need to play the "I know something you don't" game?
URHS "CNJ" GP7 #1523....there the cat is out of the bag.
  by GE-RULES

GE-RULES wrote:If you can't elaborate than why bother posting any kind of response? Why do people feel the need to play the "I know something you don't" game?
wolfboy8171981 wrote:URHS "CNJ" GP7 #1523....there the cat is out of the bag.
Thank you Wolfboy for putting an end to the game...
  by David

Any news, pictures, updates of the progress along the 13 mile stretch of track to Woodmansie today?
  by southern sec. kid

That gp-7 will be able to handle 40 car sand trains?
  by Jtgshu

southern sec. kid wrote:That gp-7 will be able to handle 40 car sand trains?
Well, it moved those exact same trains on those same tracks 30 plus years ago, so I think it will be fine, and anyway, whos to say that the trains are going to be 40 cars long? They might be a handful of cars a few times a week, something that a Geep 7 could very easily handle by itself.
  by dlagrua

Do we have an estimated date when service wil resume? Its nice that a GP-7 is available to pull the sand train but thats an ancient ( classic) engine design. Can anyone say conclusively that a 60 year old diesel engine will stand up to the rigors of a heavy daily work load? It should be noted that the CMSL has no engine repair facilities so we will just hope for the best.
  by JLo

Just because it is old, doesn't mean it won't work. 50 year old bombers still fly over our heads filled with nuclear weapons.
  by NJT4272

wolfboy8171981 wrote:
URHS "CNJ" GP7 #1523....there the cat is out of the bag.
GE-RULES wrote:
Thank you Wolfboy for putting an end to the game...
dlagrua wrote:Do we have an estimated date when service wil resume? Its nice that a GP-7 is available to pull the sand train but thats an ancient ( classic) engine design. Can anyone say conclusively that a 60 year old diesel engine will stand up to the rigors of a heavy daily work load? It should be noted that the CMSL has no engine repair facilities so we will just hope for the best.
All only half right. There's more to these assumptions than meets the eye. Be patient, brothers! You'll all be very happy with the end result. In the mean time, lets all wish Tony the best of luck and a lucrative new operation. :wink: He's a great guy and will be giving us all one heck of a railfan gift once things start to roll. Patience, patience........
  by CJPat

Are there any other sand mines shipping by railcar in NJ anymore?