• New Jersey Seashore Lines: was CNJ being cleard Woodmansie>N

• Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New Jersey
Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New Jersey

Moderator: David

by ladder2

This project sounds like a foamers dream wish! It has been going on for how many years, under Clayton moving sand, aggragates, and the mystery
Seashore Lines! Question: where does Seashore have its HQ? Is it actually incorporated? If so, where? I cannot find any information about this railroad other than the long gone Penn. Seashore Lines! Anyone know??
  by Ken W2KB

ladder2 wrote:This project sounds like a foamers dream wish! It has been going on for how many years, under Clayton moving sand, aggragates, and the mystery
Seashore Lines! Question: where does Seashore have its HQ? Is it actually incorporated? If so, where? I cannot find any information about this railroad other than the long gone Penn. Seashore Lines! Anyone know??
New Jersey Seashore Lines most certainly exists and New Jersey has funded over a million and half of improvements, discussed above. See page 5-30 of http://www.njtransit.com/pdf/NJ_StateRa ... ct2012.pdf
  by ladder2

Ken, I read page 5-30 of the report and suggest you re-read the NJ Seashore Line, note that its tie renewal program is not funded, unlike the NYSW and others which have "funded" in the end column. It also does not answer my question about that New Jersey Seashore lines, where is their
headquarters, is this a class 3 rr or a terminal rr? Who owns it? This is a mystery opration to say the least. I have tried FRA operating manuals to no avail or am I looking in the wrong location? Little wonder that NJT has not funded any of their tie renewal program.
  by glennk419

ladder2 wrote:Ken, I read page 5-30 of the report and suggest you re-read the NJ Seashore Line, note that its tie renewal program is not funded, unlike the NYSW and others which have "funded" in the end column. It also does not answer my question about that New Jersey Seashore lines, where is their
headquarters, is this a class 3 rr or a terminal rr? Who owns it? This is a mystery opration to say the least. I have tried FRA operating manuals to no avail or am I looking in the wrong location? Little wonder that NJT has not funded any of their tie renewal program.
NJ Seashore LInes is a subsidiary / sister railroad to Cape May Seashore Lines, owned and operated by Tony Macrie. It is doubtful that any tie renewal would be publicly funded as the line is privately owned (by Clayton?) and NJSL is the designated operator. I believe CMSL's headquaters is listed as being in Hammonton, NJ with their current operating base being out of Tuckahoe.
  by napp1111

From what I gather from this is that this is all based on the line making an industrial comeback. If this was to happen the coastline isn't going to want all this traffic on the line and late night runs probobly won't fly with residents on a constant basis. This would mean by rehabilitating the line to Winslow opens the horizons up for more running options and less traffic on the coastline. Like I said its the way I interpreted this. It would take a lot for this to happen and it's not a foamers dream. I have a life. :)
  by GSC

Is the (PRR) Main Line not used for freight? I once read that Pennsy boasted that the 4-track Main had a capacity of a 40 lane highway. Is Amtrak keeping the line to themselves? Not living on that side of the state, I don't get to see much of that action. When I do get a look-see at the Main Line, I see little traffic (south / west of Princeton Jct)

The old parallel Reading line was downsized to two tracks from four, and I'm sure that's slowing things down.

History repeating itself - the Southern was built (starting in 1860) as a competing bypass line between "Brooklyn" and "Camden" (Brooklyn not officially part of NYC until the 1880s), a legal loophole for "NOT" hauling NY - Philly traffic (Camden & Amboy monopoly in effect), specifically Civil War materiel going south by the time the line was open and running.
  by glennk419

napp1111 wrote:From what I gather from this is that this is all based on the line making an industrial comeback. If this was to happen the coastline isn't going to want all this traffic on the line and late night runs probobly won't fly with residents on a constant basis. This would mean by rehabilitating the line to Winslow opens the horizons up for more running options and less traffic on the coastline. Like I said its the way I interpreted this. It would take a lot for this to happen and it's not a foamers dream. I have a life. :)
Not to mention that it would make getting the NJSL / CMSL motive power back and forth between their operating points extremely easier.
GSC wrote:Is the (PRR) Main Line not used for freight? I once read that Pennsy boasted that the 4-track Main had a capacity of a 40 lane highway. Is Amtrak keeping the line to themselves? Not living on that side of the state, I don't get to see much of that action. When I do get a look-see at the Main Line, I see little traffic (south / west of Princeton Jct)

The old parallel Reading line was downsized to two tracks from four, and I'm sure that's slowing things down.
The Northeast corridor is strictly Amtrak and NJT passenger at this point with the exception of a few NS locals and is largely at capacity, especially when a track is taken out for maintenance. The CSX line is also quite congested and is actually having some of the once double track reinstalled. Add to that the ever ongoing discussion of reinstating passenger service east of West Trenton which would further add to load on that line.
  by ladder2

Thanks for the info about NJ Seashore, since it is a related company of Cape May Seashore, that explains why nothng will ever happen to this
stretch of track. Cape May has had more problems on why it can't get up to speed, and this outfit will never see the light of day either. I predict
the NJT Lackawanna Cut off to Scranton willbe finished before NJSL gets off the ground.
  by bmwr12

As much as a lot of us want to see this happen, I highly doubt this project is going to move forward without a grant from the state. It was listed as an eligible project in NJ Freight
Rail Assistance Program in the 2012 Rail Plan and again in 2013. If it did happen it would be a big step in getting the line restored all the way down to Winslow(another project listed). It would be cool if the line got restored. I really hope this gets funding this year. I remember seeing the 2 Blue GP locos(if I remember correctly) parked directly behind the Lakehurst Hardware many times when I was a kid. It is sad seeing Lakehurst with no rail activity in such a long time considering the history it has had.
Last edited by bmwr12 on Thu Jan 17, 2013 12:34 am, edited 2 times in total.
  by bmwr12

ladder2 wrote:Thanks for the info about NJ Seashore, since it is a related company of Cape May Seashore, that explains why nothng will ever happen to this
stretch of track. Cape May has had more problems on why it can't get up to speed, and this outfit will never see the light of day either. I predict
the NJT Lackawanna Cut off to Scranton willbe finished before NJSL gets off the ground.

The way I see it is that Clayton Sand/Concrete(line owner) contracted CMSL/NJSL to operate the line with the intention of having it repaired via state funding? So far the line has been cleared twice in the last 8 years. It is due for another clearing and has seen no repairs except for a few crossing upgrades and a pair of signals in Whiting in the anticipation that the line will be activated again in the near future.
  by CTL10D

"Thanks for the info about NJ Seashore, since it is a related company of Cape May Seashore, that explains why nothng will ever happen to this
stretch of track.... "

While I`d love to see this line up and running again just as much as anyone, I will admit that made me laugh
  by glennk419

CTL10D wrote:"Thanks for the info about NJ Seashore, since it is a related company of Cape May Seashore, that explains why nothng will ever happen to this
stretch of track.... "

While I`d love to see this line up and running again just as much as anyone, I will admit that made me laugh
Ah, the ever omnipresent naysayers......
  by ladder2

What naysayers??? This discussion has been going on since Dec. 2006, and as of Jan. 2013 the dreamers are still dreaming
about where Clayton's sand is going, 1st to Boston area, then to ill fated tunnel project, then fracking, and then to Seaside Heights for beach replenishment. So far its all pipe dreams! so after 7 years of wishful thinking I think its time to call it a day!
  by ApproachMedium

Exactly why this is just more pipe dreams and it wont ever happen. Whos going to buy all of that sand? If there was such an important need for it, it would have been done already.
  by glennk419

ladder2 wrote:What naysayers??? This discussion has been going on since Dec. 2006, and as of Jan. 2013 the dreamers are still dreaming
about where Clayton's sand is going, 1st to Boston area, then to ill fated tunnel project, then fracking, and then to Seaside Heights for beach replenishment. So far its all pipe dreams! so after 7 years of wishful thinking I think its time to call it a day!
Look in a mirror. If you have all the answers, then you fund and run it.