• NEW HIRE TRAIN CREW SPRING,TX

• Discussion about the Union Pacific operations past and present. Official site can be found here: UPRR.COM.
Discussion about the Union Pacific operations past and present. Official site can be found here: UPRR.COM.

Moderator: GOLDEN-ARM

by RRGOLFER

Hey guys!

So Im new to this site and just wanted to share my journey with the rail road so far and also ask some questions from those with more experience than I.

Well, Im 24 and I applied for a train crew spot about 4 months ago. I have a inside guy that is a track laborer foreman as my reference, I got invited to a reading test an made a 100. Got invited to a hiring session, freaked out and aced my interview. That was it. hahaha didnt hear from them again until last tuesday! In that time I had applied for 6 or so other positions that came open, so the HR guy calls me with the job offer an tells me to go online an accept. of course i drop everything and do it.

My job offer told me I had been offered a job and not to put in my two weeks, and it gave me a specific time, date, and location to start training in spring texas on 9-10-12, Scheduled my Physical/PAT both for the same day, and knock em out. this was tuesday 7-31-12, Today, 8-2-12, UP called my previous employer to verify employment, my previous boss called me and let me know. Also he said he recieved a second call from UP police about DOT info. Not sure what that was about?

So as of right now my status has changed from "your pre-hire evaluations are being processed." to Your background investigation is complete. when i click on my status to get more info this is what it says:

You have qualified on the background requirements for employment at Union Pacific. The application process is also contingent on the successful completion of the online new hire registration process, physical ability test (if applicable) and medical evaluation. It is recommended that you regularly check your e-mail and Online Application Status as this process could take up to three weeks to complete.
If you are currently employed, DO NOT give notice to your employer until you are contacted with a tentative start date.

Alright, so thats where Im at. WTH does this mean?!? lol I just want some kind of confirmation to say, hey man you got the job, drink beer now! lol Im so nervous and excited about this oppurtunity. So now its questions time... thanks for any input:

1.If hired, can anyone give me a ccurate description of a day/week of work in the houston location?
2. Are you given a schedule to come to work or do you have to bid on work?
3.whats the days at home/ work ratio?
4. ANY info on training, and can I get the study guide in advance anywhere??
5. training pay rate and schedule?
6. thoughts and feeling about train crew positions? pros and cons!

Thanks guys for all your help it is greatly appreciated!!
  by Gadfly

RRGOLFER wrote:Hey guys!

So Im new to this site and just wanted to share my journey with the rail road so far and also ask some questions from those with more experience than I.

Well, Im 24 and I applied for a train crew spot about 4 months ago. I have a inside guy that is a track laborer foreman as my reference, I got invited to a reading test an made a 100. Got invited to a hiring session, freaked out and aced my interview. That was it. hahaha didnt hear from them again until last tuesday! In that time I had applied for 6 or so other positions that came open, so the HR guy calls me with the job offer an tells me to go online an accept. of course i drop everything and do it.

My job offer told me I had been offered a job and not to put in my two weeks, and it gave me a specific time, date, and location to start training in spring texas on 9-10-12, Scheduled my Physical/PAT both for the same day, and knock em out. this was tuesday 7-31-12, Today, 8-2-12, UP called my previous employer to verify employment, my previous boss called me and let me know. Also he said he recieved a second call from UP police about DOT info. Not sure what that was about?

So as of right now my status has changed from "your pre-hire evaluations are being processed." to Your background investigation is complete. when i click on my status to get more info this is what it says:

You have qualified on the background requirements for employment at Union Pacific. The application process is also contingent on the successful completion of the online new hire registration process, physical ability test (if applicable) and medical evaluation. It is recommended that you regularly check your e-mail and Online Application Status as this process could take up to three weeks to complete.
If you are currently employed, DO NOT give notice to your employer until you are contacted with a tentative start date.

Alright, so thats where Im at. WTH does this mean?!? lol I just want some kind of confirmation to say, hey man you got the job, drink beer now! lol Im so nervous and excited about this oppurtunity. So now its questions time... thanks for any input:

1.If hired, can anyone give me a ccurate description of a day/week of work in the houston location?

1. No. It depends on the schedule/crew they hire you for. It will likely be the worst assignments--nights, weekends, holidays--while the older employees have a higher choice of billets.

2. You HAVE no schedule. You are now "owned" by the railroad and will work as called. ALL railroads are union. What you can 'stand for' is dependent on SENIORITY. You will start at the bottom and get the worst (not necessarily "bad") assignments.

3. No way to know. "Saint Peter, don'cha call me cuz I can't go--I owe my soul to such 'n such a railroad!" Work as needed up to current hours of service laws.

4 & 5. They will tell that when you are hired.

6. It is like nothing else you'll ever do. You will be 'tied" to the railroad. What you do will depend on what the railroad's schedule is. There IS no 9-5, off-weekends on transportation. It will BE your lifestyle, centered ON the railroad. You will likely make a good living, but it is very unsettled, gritty, rough. Set aside money for the bad times while the gettin's good. You WILL have furloughs, bumps, rolls, job abolishments. You can't schmooze your way (suck up) into a easy job. You will watch as older employees "bid" in AND get jobs you wish YOU could. Your time will come if you stick it out. Personally, I would try for a "craft" job in a shop--locomotive repair, welding, track machinery repair, etc. but T & E service isn't all "bad". It is just the 24/7, on-call aspect that many do not like.

GF
  by kevin.brackney

RRGOLFER wrote:Hey guys!

Married? Children? Significant Other? Prior service military?