Discussion relating to the operations of MTA MetroNorth Railroad including west of Hudson operations and discussion of CtDOT sponsored rail operations such as Shore Line East and the Springfield to New Haven Hartford Line

Moderators: GirlOnTheTrain, nomis, FL9AC, Jeff Smith

by Train2009

This afternoon as I was inside my school bus heading home from BOCES I saw the New Haven Line mus outside the
North White Plains Yard/Shop, and was it M2s which I saw?
  by Patrick A.

If this is true then it would seem that the "beloved" New Haven equipment is making some more off the home track runs. A few weeks ago one member on the fourms posted some pics of a train of New Haven equipment running up the Hudson.
  by DutchRailnut

Train dropping of a pair of rebuilt M2's for paint shop or poicking them up.
  by geico

Patrick A. wrote:If this is true then it would seem that the "beloved" New Haven equipment is making some more off the home track runs. A few weeks ago one member on the fourms posted some pics of a train of New Haven equipment running up the Hudson.
They will actually run in revenue service on occassion for a variety of reasons, one of them being to get them up to the maintenance shop.
  by Train2009

This afternoon on my way home it was not there when did the Mus left North White Plains yard?
  by R36 Combine Coach

DutchRailnut wrote:Train dropping of a pair of rebuilt M2's for paint shop or poicking them up.
I remember reading that the CSR rebuild program for the M-2 was scheduled for completion by the end of 2008. The M-4s would begin their program in 2009.
  by Patrick A.

Are engineers qualified on equipment types? So the question is, would a set of M2/4/6's require a qualified engineer for both the equipment and the line?
  by DutchRailnut

All MNCR engineers are qualified on all MNCR equipment.
  by Clean Cab

FL9AC wrote:Don't bet on the M-4's going for the CSR program...
The "CSR" for M4s is on hold and will most likely not happen. CDOT is trying to do a deal to buy enough M8s to allow for the retirement of all M2s, M4s and M6s. Stay tuned!!!
  by Patrick A.

capecodlocoguy wrote:
FL9AC wrote:Don't bet on the M-4's going for the CSR program...
The "CSR" for M4s is on hold and will most likely not happen. CDOT is trying to do a deal to buy enough M8s to allow for the retirement of all M2s, M4s and M6s. Stay tuned!!!
If that's the case, all you railfans better get your front window fanning out of your system within the next few years because before you know it, all you'll be seeing is a tinted glass window.
  by R36 Combine Coach

I can't see why? The M-4s and M-6s are 15-20 years younger than the M-2s (1988 and 1993 respectively) and CSR overhaul could help them last past 30.
  by DutchRailnut

The problem is parts, Its getting harder and Harder to find parts for 40 year old technology.
And still leaves you with an orphan fleet of cars non-compatible and with less flexability than having all M8's
  by Tommy Meehan

Would Metro-North scrap 16-year old M6 cars just to have an NH Line fleet made up of one type? At the same time they're supposedly about to rebuild 30-year old M3s to run them another 10-15 years?

Even the Pullman-Standard Washboards made it to 20+ on the New Haven Line.
  by RearOfSignal

Tommy Meehan wrote:Would Metro-North scrap 16-year old M6 cars just to have an NH Line fleet made up of one type? At the same time they're supposedly about to rebuild 30-year old M3s to run them another 10-15 years?

Even the Pullman-Standard Washboards made it to 20+ on the New Haven Line.
At least the M6's can be mixed with other NH equipment (M2 & M4). The same doesn't apply for the M1 & M3's.