Discussion related to commuter rail and rapid transit operations in the Chicago area including the South Shore Line, Metra Rail, and Chicago Transit Authority.

Moderators: metraRI, JamesT4

by jb9152

PRRGuy wrote:Yep, that's just the dummy knuckle used to couple up to the TTX flat cars used to space them out.
Damn things weigh about 100 pounds...
  by jb9152

PRRGuy wrote:Yeah, they do! I think they actually weigh somewhere around 80 ;)
The regular compromise knuckle carried on the 1000 is 80, but the compromise sent with the new cars is more like 100 lbs. Sucker is HEAVY.
  by dinwitty

jb9152 wrote:
PRRGuy wrote:Yeah, they do! I think they actually weigh somewhere around 80 ;)
The regular compromise knuckle carried on the 1000 is 80, but the compromise sent with the new cars is more like 100 lbs. Sucker is HEAVY.
would those couplers be stored on car for emergencies?
  by jb9152

dinwitty wrote:would those couplers be stored on car for emergencies?
No, just on the NICTD 1000, in case it were to have to drag dead EMUs.
  by superbad

I wonder if these new cars have the same rotating headlight that metra is using on the new highliners?
  by MikeF

No, they have a single red marker light in its place.
  by jb9152

New word on mainline testing - it will start in the yard on Monday, 1/12, and probably not go outside the yard limits. On Tuesday, 1/13, the testing begins in earnest and the test area will be on Track 1 in the vicinity of Ogden Dunes Station.
  by jb9152

jb9152 wrote:New word on mainline testing - it will start in the yard on Monday, 1/12, and probably not go outside the yard limits. On Tuesday, 1/13, the testing begins in earnest and the test area will be on Track 1 in the vicinity of Ogden Dunes Station.
Just got word that the area of testing has been moved to the area between Tamarack and Tremont sidings (generally, in the Beverly Shores to Dune Park area).
  by byte

Hmmm ... looks like I may have something to do on Tuesday...
  by Tadman

Yeah me too. Too bad the snow is coming down fast and hard. I rode past last night on the 4:55p westbound, and 305/306 were parked on the ladder track.

Funny thing about my ride, we didn't top 65 at all on the east end. I think MAS is 79. I even strolled to the vestibule and checked the speedometer. Steady 65.
  by jb9152

New update - due to the accident that happened on Monday and the forecast blizzard (which didn't really occur - some blowing snow, but it wasn't extreme), testing was canceled today (Tuesday). The remainder of the week is dicey due to the forecast extreme cold temperatures and snowstorm predicted for tomorrow night into Wednesday morning, but we're going to try to get the test train out after Train 14 each day, if at all possible.
  by dinwitty

jb9152 wrote:New update - due to the accident that happened on Monday and the forecast blizzard (which didn't really occur - some blowing snow, but it wasn't extreme), testing was canceled today (Tuesday). The remainder of the week is dicey due to the forecast extreme cold temperatures and snowstorm predicted for tomorrow night into Wednesday morning, but we're going to try to get the test train out after Train 14 each day, if at all possible.
you might want to do a cold blizzard run test, but maybe now isn't the time for that...
give those mechanics the real test, on one set of cars only.....
  by jb9152

Cars are out testing now (Wednesday) - they'll be out until 3 pm between Beverly Shores and Dune Park.