• New Crossover at Halpine on Met

• Discussion pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in Delaware, Maryland, Virginia and Washington, D.C.
Discussion pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in Delaware, Maryland, Virginia and Washington, D.C.

Moderator: therock

by R,N, Nelson

CSX has installed two crossovers on the Met west of Halpine. They are from track 1 to 2 and 2 to 1. They are in the process of adding the required signals.

Does anyone know what's behind it? I suspect MARC is paying for it.

Norman
  by SurlyKnuckle

Yeah, CSX isn't paying for it. I think Maryland is.

What's ironic is that 20 years ago, there was a set of intermediates there...and I hope like crap they call the interlocking Halpine as an homage to the original signal there, and NOT name it after some manager or official (which they sometimes have a history of doing).

Crossovers are also being installed at Tuscarora, and a new defect detector has been built at Wards to replace the one at Clopper, where supposedly another set of crossovers will be installed. It's going to be lovely having abosolutes at Clopper...nothing like having a STOP signal on the edge of a cliff headed westbound. I'd really like to see the two to one westbound crossover at PEPCO completed to include a one-to-two westbound. It's a pain having to zig-zag around one to the spur especially on a 40+ car D765 that the dispatcher has run you west on one, and now you've got to pull through, shove back, pull ahead, then shove onto the spur.
  by R,N, Nelson

Thanks for the info.

I have since found out that MARC is footing the bill and the new crossovers will enable the movement of, primary passenger trains, to the opposite track to run around anything that would delay them.

N
  by strench707

I'm assuming these are all Limited Speed crossovers?

Glad to hear this is happening!

Davis
  by gprimr1

There are actually two being funded by MARC

CP Rudolf will be placed between Derwood and Georgetown Junction

CP Clopper will be placed between Derwood and Bucks Lodge.

Unknown at this time if they will be over the air ATCS, burried code line or satellite.
  by RockGp40

Per Al Moran (the SD80MACKing):

"CSX is adding several sets of crossovers to the MET. One set at "Montrose" just east of Rockville, is in and signalling is just about done (3 of the 4 are up but not in service). Another set is on site at Tuscarora, just east of Point of Rocks. Concrete ties have already been placed on both sides of the new crossovers. A new dragger detector is in place at Barnesville but not active yet. Another set is supposed to be put in at Cloppers. The detector at Cloppers is being replaced with a new one a little east of the I-270 bridge near Gaithersburg (I guess the old one is right where the crossovers will be). They are replacing rail on 2 track between Barnesville and Buck Lodge. If you like CPLs, you better get some shots now as they will be going in the next few years..."