• New Blue line cars ETA?

• Discussion relating to commuter rail, light rail, and subway operations of the MBTA.
Discussion relating to commuter rail, light rail, and subway operations of the MBTA.

Moderators: sery2831, CRail

by CJ

I was browsing, and remembered someone mentioned the first pair of cars for testing would arrive the 5th of this month, it still on?

Also, anyone know where they would be delivered?

Thx
CJ

by Robert Paniagua

Not till next year at the earliest. Maybe somebody else can fill you in with that. Unlike our sister NYCTA system, which already saw it's first pilot R160 units arrive. And no, they were NOT from Breda either :-D

by CJ

Meh! Thanks though, hopefullky someone has a date, was looking fordward to it (last i heard)...The T can drop 30 million on a train station, and finish it within MASS time, but cant get cars delivered on time! Bah

Thanks tho!
CJ

by Robert Paniagua

Yeah but this could take not only into late next year, but some delays (if any) could delay the cars into 2007 too. The MBTA doesn't want a repeat of the Green Line Type #8 fiasco just recently......

by CJ

Ouch ahhh. I remember some problems w/ some part of the trucks, think the company went bankrupt , oh well more waiting, went by orient heights today (like every day), part of the roof is falling in, again, happened in 3 spots already, its braced up + cautioned off, if any station needs 'remodeling' its OH

Thx!

by Robert Paniagua

That's the way the MBTA is.......literally!

Mainly due to it's age and uniqueness.

But in all, things should improve, mainly with the Blue Line to start with.

by CJ

True, Its just that I remember back in 96 when i was a wee child (well like 9, but nevertheless) talking w/ bus drivers and train drivers about OH, and how it was gonna be redone after aquarium, which was supposed to be redone within the year! Even got to drive the Blue Line train too, in revenue service when i was like 10 (but shh), fun times!

by dudeursistershot

Alright, this map I've been working on has an idea for a massive blue line expansion, someone tell me if I'm completely nuts.

Basically, the Blue Line would curve around after Bowdoin and merge into an expanded Red Line tunnel, which would continue to South Station, where it would follow the path of the proposed Indigo Line/current Fairmount Line. The Mattapan High Speed Line would be extended one stop to Blue Hill Ave.

This map also includes the Green Line to W. Medford/Porter, SL phase 3, OL to W. Roxbury, and Blue Line to Lynn.

by AznSumtinSumtin

Bowdoin will be closed after all the other Blue Line stations are rebuilt. Then the Blue Line will probably be extended to Charles/MGH.

by The Collector at Court St

OK.

The new trains are still scheduled for Aug! One set is going to the test track on the Orange (much to my surprise!!) The following set will come quickly to the Blue for testing, where they can actually put it on a lift an see the problems.

Bowdoin will close and there will likely be nothing after Gov Ctr west, except Gov Ctr east. It's not going to connect with the Red Line. The Blue has a better chance of landing in Lynn than Charles.

by dudeursistershot

AznSumtinSumtin wrote:Bowdoin will be closed after all the other Blue Line stations are rebuilt. Then the Blue Line will probably be extended to Charles/MGH.
I know, it's a fantasy map.

by CJ

The Collector at Court St wrote:OK.

The new trains are still scheduled for Aug! One set is going to the test track on the Orange (much to my surprise!!) The following set will come quickly to the Blue for testing, where they can actually put it on a lift an see the problems.
Yes, so there still scheduled? Guessin a set will come by the OH yards to be put on the lift ya?

If so, im guessin they will be trucked in, if so w00t for me, i live within a stones throw of the yards :) (early in the am and at night, you can hear the trains screeching right into the yard heh)

Also I could see BL to lynn first, due to the fact its alot cheaper then putting a tunnel under multiple old buildings, just run some track + a little bridge like the CR adjacent! (after they rebuild OH of course!)

by sery2831

Also I could see BL to lynn first, due to the fact its alot cheaper then putting a tunnel under multiple old buildings, just run some track + a little bridge like the CR adjacent!
To go to charles, what old buildings would you have to go under? The track already runs out under the street. All it's needs to be is extended under the street from where the covered portal is to the Red Line Sta. No curves, and I would imagine a cut and cover type tunnel.
Last edited by sery2831 on Wed Aug 03, 2005 1:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.

by CSX Conductor

dudeursistershot wrote:Alright, this map I've been working on has an idea for a massive blue line expansion, someone tell me if I'm completely nuts.
Dude, your brain is shot! LOL :P

I think the Blue Line to Lynn would work, but extending it as far south as you listed, that's crazy. That would be an hour + end to end.......what are we trying to become the NYCTA?!?

As for the adding of a stop @ Blue Hill Ave, why? Mattapan is at Blue Hill Ave.

by octr202

Plus, you'd be talking about tunneling under the Red Line through downtown. The Blue Line cars are way too narrow (something like 9 or 10 inches too narrow) to be able to platform on the Red Line. Unless people get a good jump going... ;)