• New Amtrak ACS-64 locomotive coming to Boston

• Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New England
Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New England

Moderators: MEC407, NHN503

by Clean Cab

Word has it that one of the new Amtrak engines (ACS-64 #602) will follow train #178 from Penn Station to Boston tomorrow (9/6) night. I assume it will head to the Southhampton Street yard. I can only guess if it will be tested on a train or if it there for familiarization purposes. So have your cameras ready. I'd appreciate it if some pictures of it are posted here.
  by Mcoov

Clean Cab wrote:will follow train #178
As in "be tacked on to the end of 178," or as in "light engine move?"
Either way, those along the line will want to get their cameras ready.
  by NH2060

Seeing as I live within a 5-10 minute walk of the NEC I will be sure to have my trusty picture capturer at the ready for this :-)
  by Clean Cab

Mcoov wrote:

My understanding is it will be a light engine move following 178. The information I got used the word "following". I live on the Cape and it's a long drive to reach any part of the NEC, and the late hour is another problem. If I were to try to catch it, I'd probably go to Providence as the track speed through there is pretty slow.
  by ns3010

I heard that it will be bring 4 cars along, no word on if there will be an additional motor with it just in case.

Rumor has it that it will head back to Wilmington behind train 163 (deparing BOS 11:40a) Saturday morning.
  by sery2831

This is great news, but WRONG forum! And I am assuming this is being widely discussed in the Amtrak Forum. I am sending this to the New England Railfan Forum.
  by ThirdRail7

Clean Cab wrote:
Mcoov wrote:

My understanding is it will be a light engine move following 178. The information I got used the word "following". I live on the Cape and it's a long drive to reach any part of the NEC, and the late hour is another problem. If I were to try to catch it, I'd probably go to Providence as the track speed through there is pretty slow.
ns3010 wrote:I heard that it will be bring 4 cars along, no word on if there will be an additional motor with it just in case.

Rumor has it that it will head back to Wilmington behind train 163 (deparing BOS 11:40a) Saturday morning.
It will be a train with two motors and they MAY add a diesel to the rear at NHV. 178 will most likely run away from the train since it is running with absolute block protection and it still restricted to 90mph.

They also will perform a few tests at the dead sections. All in all, it shouldn't be too far behind since it isn't making stops.
  by Clean Cab

Sounds like a loooooooooong night. I doubt I can make it to anywhere close to the NEC, so I'm hoping some of the other people on this forum can snap a picture or two and be generous enough to share them on this page.
  by nomis

Consist @ PHL is 602 - 4 amfleets and 901 ... Info courtesy of the EastCoastRailfan_OS group.
  by Clean Cab

Did anyone see it? Pictures???
  by nomis

Finally uploaded pics from the camera from Sept 7th ...

Running alongside the Orange Line in Boston, approaching Ruggles
http://rrpicturearchives.net/showPictur ... id=3645079
http://rrpicturearchives.net/showPictur ... id=3645078