• New Adirondack Scenic Thread (ADIX)

• Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New York State.
Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New York State.

Moderator: Otto Vondrak

by oibu

FWIW, I would hardly consider concerns about the arbitrary attempts to redesignate the railroad as "not a railroad" by a few outspoken landowners and their politician cronies, "nonsensical bickering".

You'd like this not to be the -last- turning of the leaves for the railroad in the Adirondacks, right? And you are aware of the fact that very thing is -already actually happening- a few hours to the south, right?
  by greenwichlirr

The depot and exhibits celebrate "the railroad".....

But "there is nothing particularly historical about the rails and ties".

Newsflash:. Rails + ties = RAILROAD

Are we living in some sort of alternate universe type of bizarro world? Did you literally just tell me that a building and exhibits are fine in celebrating history, but the very thing that they're celebrating, which is quite alive and living, is worthless?

Can you seriously, with a straight face, provide us with an explanation of what is perhaps the dumbest example of illogical reasoning I have ever heard in my life?
  by oibu

Eric Sloane was writing back in the 1950s of the folly of how much of "historic preservation" consists of bulldozing something, then putting up a plaque or marker to commemorate where it formerly was.

60-70 years later, the "plaque" mentality seems to still be alive and well in some circles...
  by Tony Goodwin

Greenwichiir or whoever you are,

Yes, I guess we are indeed living in parallel universes. So continue thinking your way and I'll think mine.

Most existing rail trails celebrate in one way or another the history and legacy of the railroad that originally envisioned, built, and then operated that railroad. They all do it without a single moving train. We will do that here just fine, thank you.
  by kaseytrainfan26

Tony Goodwin wrote:The comment regarding NCCC is what is truly ridiculous. NCCC students would use the trail on either side of the campus and not just the length of the campus.

As for the Lake Placid Historical Society, they have preserved the station and their exhibits celebrate the people who used the station and the railroad to help create the town as it now exists. There is nothing particularly historic about the rails and ties. Nor is there much relevance to the current engine and cars that date from the time when there was no longer any need for rail service (passenger or freight) to Lake Placid. As the starting point for a trail, however, that station area will see far more visitors on an annual basis than now go there to ride the train. That's why the Historical Society favors a trail.

Wow..I think I just lost I.Q points folks..good lord.
  by oibu

As the starting point for a trail, however, that station area will see far more visitors on an annual basis than now go there to ride the train
I'd LOVE to see the methodology, if any, used to arrive at that "conclusion".

You guys do know that there are already countless miles of trails of all types up, down, around, and through the Adirondacks, right? Long trails, short trails, steep trails, level trails, easy trails, hard trails, trails in/near town, trails in the wilderness,.... trails open to motor vehicles, trails closed to motor vehicles, trails for horses, trails for bikes, trails for hikers, trails for climbers, trails for casual walkers, .... famous trails, obscure trails,...

How is one more trail suddenly going to bring all these people to Lake Placid, who aren't already coming there ANYWAY? That's like saying the thing Venice "really needs" to "finally" get into the tourist trade in a "big way", is just -ONE- more Italian restaurant, or one more Gondolier, or one more canal. Or if Dublin just had -one- more Pub... or if the Adirondacks just had -one- more mountain.

It just defies all sense or reason....
  by greenwichlirr

Tony Goodwin wrote:Greenwichiir or whoever you are,
Oh, Tony.....I'm disappointed. I thought you and I had a connection here. It's not like I've never called you out without printing my name.....like that time in the ADE....or that other time in the ADE......or that one time here....or another....well, you get my point.
Tony Goodwin wrote:Yes, I guess we are indeed living in parallel universes. So continue thinking your way and I'll think mine.

Most existing rail trails celebrate in one way or another the history and legacy of the railroad that originally envisioned, built, and then operated that railroad. They all do it without a single moving train. We will do that here just fine, thank you.
Of course you will, Tony. Of course you will.

Yes, Tony, and most do them on ROW that has been gone for ages...NONE of them say "This trail was built on the former XXX Railroad....we mean SERIOUSLY built on it....the rails were running up until this trail was built, but we thought you'd be able to learn history better by reading about here than actually experiencing it for yourself."

You keep coming back here for more. You truly amaze me. You post here, you piss people off, you get put in your place with real facts and logic, you look like a buffoon with your writings, and yet you repeat the process over and over and over. Don't give me your line of "Oh, I've subscribed to TRAINS for 50 years!" Just stop it, Tony. Stop it. If I was the only one taking you to task, then you may have a case, but I'm not. You are really nothing but a troll, and a delusional one, at that. You spew your propaganda here and then cry and complain when someone (like me or anyone else) calls you out on it. If we are indeed inside this parallel universe, then you're gonna have to realize that you're the stranger in a strange land here, and I would conserve my resources if I were you, because you're obviously too blank and stubborn to learn that they are being completely wasted here.

BTW,,,as of yesterday, I was banned from posting on the ARTA Facebook page. Funny, because I never posted a single word there before. Do you know what got me banned? A smiley face. Yep. A simple little emoticon, Reacting to a posted story with a simple Facebook click of "Like", so while you continue to be allowed to post your silly "facts" here in a forum that celebrates RAILROADS, your band of cohorts are so against being told they are wrong that they will silence their enemies before they ever even have the chance of being told that they are misguided, wrong, or just plain insane. I guess some people don't have thick enough skin when being proven wrong by multitudes of people who have actually resisted the Kool-Aid.
  by Jeff Smith

What part of this don't you all understand? Developments, yes. Ad hominem go arounds no. PERIOD. I'm out of popcorn, so move on. Suspensions and bans will be issued henceforth without warning.

As I always say, I love the passion. Stop baiting, stop responding.

Unlocked.
Jeff Smith wrote:Admin Note:
SNIP:
Rules for continued discussion:

1. The discussion should be related to the Operation of the Adirondack Scenic.
2. Developments concerning expansion, contraction, etc. and impact on operations (there's that word again) are welcome without the ad hominem stuff.
3. Controversies concerning trail advocate tactics, the local newspaper, the Governor, other politico's, etc. need to stay off the board. I can't verify this stuff. The back and forth has to stop over rail vs. trail. It's been argued to death. If there's a development to be reported, fine.

Let's move on to RAILROAD's. They're fun!
  by charlie6017

Great shots, thank you!!

Charlie
  by JoeBas

So the thread is closed because of people feeding trolls, then reopened because the trolls got hungry? Mkay. *gets popcorn*