• Needham Line Questions

• Discussion relating to commuter rail, light rail, and subway operations of the MBTA.
Discussion relating to commuter rail, light rail, and subway operations of the MBTA.

Moderators: sery2831, CRail

by Bramdeisroberts

BostonUrbEx wrote:Behold!
It's always good to see someone keeping the memes fresh around here. My favorite transit expanding brain is the BRT one...
  by scratchy

deathtopumpkins wrote:Chicago has plenty of grade crossings on rapid transit:

Skokie Swift: https://goo.gl/maps/2PcGgH7NVTv" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; (suburan arterial)

Brown line: https://goo.gl/maps/a53AVrYCtnq" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; (urban street)

Grade crossings are allowed on rapid transit and/or with third rail. They're not ideal, but they're allowed.
The 80s buddy cop action comedy "running scared" had a car chase, onto the CTA tracks from a grade crossing.
  by ceo

Just because grade crossings on third-rail-powered lines have been built in the past, doesn't mean anyone (particularly the T) is going to be willing to build them now.
  by Arborwayfan

Oslo has them and they are less than 15 years old. But again, not likely to convince the T or the neighbors.
  by johnpbarlow

New PTC bits installed at Needham Heights station: Looks like transponders have been placed in the gauge just north of the West St grade crossing. Also a new radio antenna (220MHz?) has been erected for wireless communications to train, I believe.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
  by BandA

How do they keep the transponders from being vandalized?
  by ceo

BandA wrote:How do they keep the transponders from being vandalized?
An abiding faith in the goodness of humanity. That and very sturdy construction, it looks like.
  by johnpbarlow

ceo wrote:
BandA wrote:How do they keep the transponders from being vandalized?
An abiding faith in the goodness of humanity. That and very sturdy construction, it looks like.
Plus there are no vandals in Needham! 😎
  by BandA

They did a good job hiding the wiring. Seems like construction of track is highly automated with track laying machines, where signal work is very labor intensive (i.e. costly)
  by CRail

Track machines are not automated.