Discussion relating to the operations of MTA MetroNorth Railroad including west of Hudson operations and discussion of CtDOT sponsored rail operations such as Shore Line East and the Springfield to New Haven Hartford Line

Moderators: GirlOnTheTrain, nomis, FL9AC, Jeff Smith

by TerryC

I am going to New York City on April 22nd and staying until the 24th. Does anybody have a timetable of Metro-North operations during the dates of April 22nd to the 24th on the Danbury, Waterbury, and North Harlem lines? Will I have any problems videotaping and taking photos of locomotives on these lines?

THANK YOU FOR ALL YOUResponses.

keep asking keep learning
Last edited by TerryC on Fri Apr 29, 2005 3:50 pm, edited 3 times in total.

by DutchRailnut

you should have no problem , timetables are posted on WWW.MTA.org

by DutchRailnut

oops :-)
here is link to MTA website, it has schedules for LIRR/MNCR etc
http://www.mta.nyc.ny.us/index.html

this gets you to schedules:
http://mta.info/mnr/html/planning/sched ... edules.htm

by TerryC

Forgive me, but I can not find anything about weekend schedules. I did a little searching, but that does not help either. Some of the links are too small to read.

by NJD8598

When you click the second link that Dutch provided you can choose either Weekday or Weekend for either of the three lines, this will bring up a pdf version of the schedule and everything you need should be there....

Edit: Just to specify since your looking for the branch lines the Danbury and Waterbury schedules for the weekend are on that back part of the schedule as well, kind of in the middle. New Haven schedule that is.

by Otto Vondrak

Terry, try going to the site and clicking on "schedules." I'm sure you can figure it out.

-otto-

by 7 Train

There are also individual timetables for the Danbury and Waterbury branches available at GCT. These are the pocket timetables published by Viacom (with advertising).

by Terminal Proceed

DO NOT trust the pocket timetables. I have seen them frought with errors - you should only use the full size schedules.

by Otto Vondrak

I cant wait to hear Terry's report. This kid is notorious on the Conrail and HO scale forums. :-)

-otto-
Last edited by Otto Vondrak on Fri May 06, 2005 5:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.

by AmtrakFan

Terminal Proceed wrote:DO NOT trust the pocket timetables. I have seen them frought with errors - you should only use the full size schedules.
That's why I use regular timetables. Hope you see some Terry.

by TerryC

Thank you AmtrakFan. We are hopfully going to New York City on Columbus Day weekend.

by Otto Vondrak

Terry, just a note- if you are staying only in New York City, you will not see any FL9's. They FL9's are confined to the branches and shuttles. At the very least, you would have to travel to Southeast station on the Harlem Line or South Norwalk station on the New Haven Line to see FL9's in regular service. Or you can go to Croton and see the ones on the dead line being cut up.

-otto-

by AmtrakFan

Otto Vondrak wrote:Terry, just a note- if you are staying only in New York City, you will not see any FL9's. They FL9's are confined to the branches and shuttles. At the very least, you would have to travel to Southeast station on the Harlem Line or South Norwalk station on the New Haven Line to see FL9's in regular service. Or you can go to Croton and see the ones on the dead line being cut up.

-otto-
Otto,
I am very unfamiliar with NY Trains so please bear with me is the Harlam Line along Amtrak's NEC?
  by Noel Weaver

AmtrakFan wrote:
Otto Vondrak wrote:Terry, just a note- if you are staying only in New York City, you will not see any FL9's. They FL9's are confined to the branches and shuttles. At the very least, you would have to travel to Southeast station on the Harlem Line or South Norwalk station on the New Haven Line to see FL9's in regular service. Or you can go to Croton and see the ones on the dead line being cut up.

-otto-
Otto,
I am very unfamiliar with NY Trains so please bear with me is the Harlam Line along Amtrak's NEC?
FL-9's or F-10's are only used on the shuttles. From Grand Central
Terminal in New York you can:
1. Ride the Harlem Line to Southeast station on a train with a Wassaic
connection and connect at Southeast. The Wassaic shuttle will
probably have either an FL-9 or F-10 for power.
2. Ride the New Haven Line to South Norwalk on a train out of Grand
Central that has a Danbury connection. The Danbury connection at
South Norwalk will likely have an FL-9 or F-10 for power.
3, Ride the same New Haven Line to Bridgeport on a train listed as
having a Waterbury connection. At Bridgeport, the Waterbury
connection could possibly have an FL-9 or F-10.

Having said all of that, you best chances for an F unit experience would
probably either be the Danbury Branch or the Wassaic connection.

Amtrak trains run over the New Haven Line between New Rochelle and
New Haven but some of them do not stop at Bridgeport and none of them
stop at South Norwalk. These would be Boston or Springfield bound trains.
The Harlem Line to Southeast is strictly a Metro-North operation.
Hope this answers your questions.
Noel Weaver