• NEC "Late Night" Work Week Schedule?

• Discussion related to Amtrak also known as the National Railroad Passenger Corp.
Discussion related to Amtrak also known as the National Railroad Passenger Corp.

Moderators: GirlOnTheTrain, mtuandrew, Tadman

by rugbychix

Does anyone have insight into the Monday-Friday evening NEC schedule? Last October they ended service after 8:30, south bound from NY Penn.

They added two new trains south bound starting in April, NE regionals 177 and 179. They leave ~10pm and ~11pm.

I bought tickets for 179 but now I am not seeing it on their website for the days listed. It seems pretty odd to me but haven't seen any news that would explain it. Nor has Amtrak contacted me to say the train is cancelled.
  by STrRedWolf

rugbychix wrote: Tue Mar 14, 2023 11:30 pm Does anyone have insight into the Monday-Friday evening NEC schedule? Last October they ended service after 8:30, south bound from NY Penn.

They added two new trains south bound starting in April, NE regionals 177 and 179. They leave ~10pm and ~11pm.

I bought tickets for 179 but now I am not seeing it on their website for the days listed. It seems pretty odd to me but haven't seen any news that would explain it. Nor has Amtrak contacted me to say the train is cancelled.
I would call Amtrak about that, and also express the lack of printable schedules on the site. A bit of panic can help in that.
  by theMainer

While not the way it truly was before. It is now possible to print out Timetables by Route on Amtrak.com.
  by Gilbert B Norman

Mr. Wolf, I would think that printable schedules would only exacerbate Ms. Chix's concerns. What if a passenger had a printed timetable in hand and booked on the strength of having a train listed in such - and then the train was discontinued.

Printed timetables of any road in the past always had the disclaimer "subject to change without notice". Amtrak has simply played the game of change with far more vigor of late owing to trackwork and travel patterns still developing as we enter the post-COVID era.

And finally, Ms. Chix, if you do play Rugby, sure wish you and other players, gender notwithstanding, would consider wearing headgear. My former Brother-in-Law played such when residing in the UK - and of course "real players" can't be bothered with such appurtenances. Well today, and likely resulting from such, he has some kind of "Encephala" medical condition, which can only be controlled.
  by STrRedWolf

theMainer wrote: Wed Mar 15, 2023 8:05 am While not the way it truly was before. It is now possible to print out Timetables by Route on Amtrak.com.
Oh gawd, what did they do to the schedules?!? (Hit Schedules, Route, select Northeast Regional, click "Find Schedules", click the printer icon, click what direction)

Before I go too much farther, the schedules do have train 177 and 179 BOS to WAS. So you're fine, rugbychix.

That said, let me... oh gawwwwdddd...
  • It's rendered on the fly. It does not need to be -- only when schedules change and maybe overnight at that.
  • The legend and all symbols are broken.
  • Rendering is made in landscape, when the schedule has too many stops and needs to be in portrait on custom paper.
  • The text is rendered as raster graphics (a picture) and then compressed heavily like a chunky JPEG. Readable, but horrible. Also, any good OCR program can correct the issue.
This tells me the schedules can be pulled... And why yes, each complete schedule can be pulled in a computer-readable format. I bet I can make a better looking schedule.

As to Mr. Norman's concern, that is a customer service issue that is as old as time itself. You wouldn't expect a customer to be booking over the phone with a 2018 schedule, but it likely has happened and the agent will have to step the customer through that.