Discussion related to New Jersey Transit rail and light rail operations.

Moderators: lensovet, Kaback9, nick11a

by ryanov

I was by Branch Brook Park station tonight. The "power problem" they were talking about was the derailment of car 111. It looked as if what happened was that outbound cars were using the inbound track, due to track work, but halfway through the car, the switch turned, sending one part of the car one way and one the other. I took the bus instead. ;)

by Irish Chieftain

The 7 bus-sub goes through some interesting areas, does it not.

by Lackawanna484

The walk from Branch Brook Park station west along Grove (? the cross street, which the new line later crosses) street is very interesting. Takes you past several pasta stores, mozzarella shops, and several sausage makers. On a Saturday morning, they're all jammed.

It's a very old fashioned Italian neighborhood

by Irish Chieftain

The new line (or old Erie Orange Branch) crosses Franklin Street and Belmont Avenue, IIRC. The Orange Branch continues across Grove Street and Bloomfield Avenue for some distance.

Why would switches be opening with the car halfway through? If that happened on the NEC, the anti-Amtrak crowd would be elated at finding more ammunition.
  by ryanov

They were not running 7 bus service, but I went across town and took the 13. I don't know why the switch opened, but the switch in question is the one that leads to the pocket track where Branch Brook Park trains change ends.