• National Train Day 2012?

• Discussion related to Amtrak also known as the National Railroad Passenger Corp.
Discussion related to Amtrak also known as the National Railroad Passenger Corp.

Moderators: GirlOnTheTrain, mtuandrew, Tadman

by gaspeamtrak

Can anybody tell me if it's the first Saturday in May (5) or (12)?
I'm planing on going to it this year and I think I will go to Chicago for it.
I will be working Over Time at work and can put it towards "lieu time Off" but my supervisor needs to know what days I will need off.

I e-mailed the Official web site and there response was they will be going live in March?

Can anybody help clarify when it is?

Thanks...
  by chuchubob

gaspeamtrak wrote:Can anybody tell me if it's the first Saturday in May (5) or (12)?
I will be working Over Time at work and can put it towards "lieu time Off" but my supervisor needs to know what days I will need off.

I e-mailed the Official web site and there response was they will be going live in March?

Thanks...
from the Jan 17 issue of Amtrak This Week:
"5th Annual National Train Day Events Announced
"Amtrak has begun making preparations for the 5th Annual National Train Day celebration to be held on Saturday, May 12. This year’s main events will be hosted in New York City, Philadelphia, Chicago and Los Angeles, with other events expected at hundreds of communities nationwide."
  by milkyoreo27

Does anybody know why it is always saturday?
  by gaspeamtrak

Thank you...
chuchubob wrote:
gaspeamtrak wrote:Can anybody tell me if it's the first Saturday in May (5) or (12)?

Thanks...
from the Jan 17 issue of Amtrak This Week:
"5th Annual National Train Day Events Announced
"Amtrak has begun making preparations for the 5th Annual National Train Day celebration to be held on Saturday, May 12. This year’s main events will be hosted in New York City, Philadelphia, Chicago and Los Angeles, with other events expected at hundreds of communities nationwide."
  by gprimr1

milkyoreo27 wrote:Does anybody know why it is always saturday?
I'd guess it's probably related to the majority of America being off on the weekends, and Sunday there's a lot of people in churches and Sunday meals.

It is unfortunate for those of the Jewish faith who observe Sabbath.

Perhaps they should do a National Train Weekend. :)
  by ThirdRail7

gprimr1 wrote:
milkyoreo27 wrote:Does anybody know why it is always saturday?
I'd guess it's probably related to the majority of America being off on the weekends, and Sunday there's a lot of people in churches and Sunday meals.

It is unfortunate for those of the Jewish faith who observe Sabbath.

Perhaps they should do a National Train Weekend. :)

Additionally, it gives the stations operations a day to get everything back in order for Monday. Trying to dismantle everything and get tracks and equipment on a Sunday would most likely hinder commuter operations where applicable.
  by peanut1

A few post up it say national train day is being held in NY city. Are they actually bringing in equipment into NY penn Station like they do at Philadelphia and all the other cities mentioned? If their doing that I will make the trip in for the first time.
  by R36 Combine Coach

The last time any events were held in New York was the first year in 2008. I'm hoping cars will be display in Penn Station, especially Viewliner Diner 8400. (Saves going 85 miles to Philadephia and back)
  by peanut1

R36 Combine Coach wrote:The last time any events were held in New York was the first year in 2008. I'm hoping cars will be display in Penn Station, especially Viewliner Diner 8400. (Saves going 85 miles to Philadephia and back)
I agree with you on that. I don't have the money to go to Philadelphia. Depends I guess on how crowded NY penn station is and if they have track space they can use for the equipment.
  by SwingMan

R36 Combine Coach wrote:The last time any events were held in New York was the first year in 2008. I'm hoping cars will be display in Penn Station, especially Viewliner Diner 8400. (Saves going 85 miles to Philadephia and back)

As has been stated before, there will not be any equipment displays in NYP. They may not need all tracks at all times, but say they have a switch problem and need to reroute trains, and this display train is blocking the way, then what? Also, the platforms are tight, the flow of traffic would be terrible, etc etc. It's just not going to happen.
  by R36 Combine Coach

Has any consideration been made of hosting events at BOS (South Station), which has not had any to date?
  by hi55us

lirr415 wrote:

As has been stated before, there will not be any equipment displays in NYP. They may not need all tracks at all times, but say they have a switch problem and need to reroute trains, and this display train is blocking the way, then what? Also, the platforms are tight, the flow of traffic would be terrible, etc etc. It's just not going to happen.
One would think that they could station the display train on tracks 1-4 which are stub tracks and wouldn't hurt operations that much. Saturdays at NYP (especially in the morning) usually aren't that busy.
  by ThirdRail7

hi55us wrote:
lirr415 wrote:

One would think that they could station the display train on tracks 1-4 which are stub tracks and wouldn't hurt operations that much. Saturdays at NYP (especially in the morning) usually aren't that busy.
Losing 1-4 would seriously hinder operations. Between 10am and 10pm, most tracks in New York are used. There are times when just about every track has a train on it...sometimes 2.
  by strench707

Why is DC not mentioned? That's usually even bigger and better than Phillu"s!

Davis
  by mtuandrew

ThirdRail7 wrote:Losing 1-4 would seriously hinder operations. Between 10am and 10pm, most tracks in New York are used. There are times when just about every track has a train on it...sometimes 2.
Even on a Saturday with limited viewing hours (say, 8 am to 2 pm) and the display train/s being scooted out of the station by 3 pm?

NYP is really the only New York City-area station that could work for Amtrak's National Train Day. Grand Central would work if Metro-North was a partner, Hoboken Terminal if NJT was a host, or Long Island City were LIRR on board, but none of them are formally involved. Newark Penn doesn't have a storage track per se, and Amtrak isn't going to allow people to traipse through Sunnyside Yard.

I'm looking forward to NTD in St. Paul. The 261 folks generally have a nice display, Minnesota Commercial obliges by allowing people to look over an Alco and a GE, BNSF had a GEVO there last year with cab tours, and there were a number of model layouts and advocacy groups inside the station itself. I doubt they'll have Union Depot ready to host trains by then, but hopefully by NTD 2013!