• Nashua plan for commuter rail

• Discussion relating to commuter rail, light rail, and subway operations of the MBTA.
Discussion relating to commuter rail, light rail, and subway operations of the MBTA.

Moderators: sery2831, CRail

by FatNoah

It sounds a lot like Romney's plans for Smart Growth, or whatever he calls it. It does sound like a good plan, and it's nice to see that Nashua is trying to come up with a solution that solves the problem ($$ for the extension) and even provides an ancillary benefit (increased tax $$ due to smart planning of the area around the proposed station).

I also appreciate the irony that the New Hampshire Department of Transportation is legally barred from funding passenger rail infrastructure while the Federal Highway Administration can fund a rail project.

Note: There is a corresponding Globe article that mentions that the FHA will cover all but $14 million of the proposed $70 million cost of the extension. Nashua officials and the FHA have already worked out that Nashua's money will only be spent on the NH side of the border due to potential legal issues with using city money to fund improvements in another state.

by MBTA F40PH-2C 1050

wow, all trains must return to BET at the end of each day!!! why didn't the MBTA build a layover facility in Newburyport? too much money?

by Ron Newman

There is a 4-track layover facility in Newburyport, but I don't see how that is relevant to the Lowell Line.

by trainhq

There's a pretty decent size freight yard in Lowell. Couldn't the T contract
to store a couple of trains there?

by MBTA F40PH-2C 1050

oh, then i mis-read the article, i thought it said all North side line trains had to return to BET at the end of each day
  by Porter Sq

Where the station is in Lowell is 5 tracks 2 MBTA and 3 Guilford. Guildford usually uses two for storage and one for by pass.The T tracks end right after the station merging into the Guilford main line.They could eaither build a layover down by the Lowell Tower on the old NH & H tracks or down futher in the old Lowell yards but both of these are pretty close to houses.It's only 35 mins non stop back to Boston so for now that seems the most viable opition.

by TPR37777

There is ample room at the old Billerica shops for every trainset on the north side and it is only 5 minutes from Lowell with no houses nearby. Didn't the government take over part of the property as a superfund site? Seems they should be able to use it for storage.

by Porter Sq

I should added this the first time i posted but if this does happen NH is going to buy a trainset.Will they just give money to the MBTA for one they allready have or will they buy a new one. It would be interrsting to see what they buy.If they make them buy the Bi-levels we will never see them because they will be on the SS or maybe the Lowell line will be the only ones with them.

by sery2831

There is actually an unused layover set up in Lowell. If you look at the east end of the platform you will see 480v layover stations. You can layover 4 trains in Lowell if it was reactivated. There is even an 'office' for the car inspectors in a fence overgrown next to the high level platform.

by Porter Sq

I always wondered what those high voltage sheds were for.I don't think they would use this unless they can keep the engines far enough away from the the new garage so it doesn't turn black from the engine exhust.